By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Movie Breaking Records; 5 Day Opening Weekend Set To Beat Frozen 2

Its final spot after settling down.  Amazing!

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Around the Network

Still sickens me to see the Lion King remake so high up. -_-

Wow, I finally just watched the Mario movie and it was soooo good! No wonder it killed it at the box office. That movie was rockin!

It was the top grossing movie of 2023 but Barbie surpassed it over the weekend. It has been knocked from 15 of all time to 16. Barbie is now at 15.

Box Office Mojo : https://www.boxofficemojo.com/chart/top_lifetime_gross/?area=XWW

Chicho said:

It was the top grossing movie of 2023 but Barbie surpassed it over the weekend. It has been knocked from 15 of all time to 16. Barbie is now at 15.

Box Office Mojo : https://www.boxofficemojo.com/chart/top_lifetime_gross/?area=XWW

Still crazy to me that Barbie and Mario are the two biggest movies of 2023. Who the hell wouldve guessed that a year ago? lol

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
Chicho said:

Still crazy to me that Barbie and Mario are the two biggest movies of 2023. Who the hell wouldve guessed that a year ago? lol

Sea trend changes happen in popular culture quite quickly though. At one time musicals and Westerns were the no.1/2 genre in Hollywood and then basically in the 70s that changed rapidly. 

People are getting tired of superhero universe movies. They want something that is new, but is still an "event" movie. Oppenheimer is probably actually the biggest stunner in some ways. A 3 hour slow paced bio pic about a history class destroying Mission: Impossible and Indiana Jones and Guardians of the Galaxy and The Flash ... on one hand that is great news for filmmakers who want to make dramatic movies that are about something important and not just about "will superhero beat up supervillain". 

Barbie and Oppenheimer show there are still big audiences for comedy and drama, but it still has to feel like an "event" movie. That's the tricky part. 

My first movie I ever bought digitally and first movie I bought in....20+ years?

Got it for $12 on itunes store deal (Movies Anywhere eligible) few weeks back - bought it alongside LEGO movies and 30 DC movies for $8.99 (price error lol).

Thank you Wario64 and Slickdeals.

Glad the movie did success overall - cant wait for a sequel or whatever else they make in the Nintendo universe.

So, it's just been reported that Nintendo and Sony are teaming up to make a live-action Zelda movie.

If you go back to my wall of post earlier in this thread, you'll know that I am VERY skeptical about a live-action film and would rather they go the animated route.
But I'll reserve judgement until I see the trailer... 6 years from now.

PAOerfulone said:

So, it's just been reported that Nintendo and Sony are teaming up to make a live-action Zelda movie.

If you go back to my wall of post earlier in this thread, you'll know that I am VERY skeptical about a live-action film and would rather they go the animated route.

Zelda and Metroid are probably the two only Nintendo franchises where a life-action movie could really work.

The next question now is for me: Which game will they turn into a movie? Or will it become it's own entry on the Zelda timeline?

Bofferbrauer2 said:
PAOerfulone said:

Zelda and Metroid are probably the two only Nintendo franchises where a life-action movie could really work.

The next question now is for me: Which game will they turn into a movie? Or will it become it's own entry on the Zelda timeline?

Yeah, Zelda and Metroid have to be live action. Wouldn't make any sort of sense to do them as animated movies. I could see side movies of both those series as Miyazaki style animated movies, but the main big blockbuster version for those series have gotta be live action. It'd would've been a huge misstep for Nintendo to make Zelda an animated movie. Zelda is a whole different beast than Mario. It's good to see Nintendo understands that and they didn't just mistakenly blindly go with an animated Zelda just cuz Mario did great animated.

Agreed that pretty much every other Nintendo IP works better as animated, but Zelda and Metroid are much more geared as being a high fantasy / scifi live action blockbusters. Animated would have been extremely disappointing for Zelda.

I gotta assume this won't be based on a game but rather be a brand new story for Zelda. First off, since its a movie it needs to be much more story focused than the games. And secondly, I think fans would be much more excited for a new story (I know I would be) than just to see a game they have played rehashed as a movie.

For the story I'm thinking something along the lines of Ganon waging war on Hyrule (like an actual war - something I've always wanted to see them do in a Zelda game) with Link and Zelda leading the resistance and going off on their own to take out Ganon. Will be interesting how they integrate the concept of dungeons into the movie. Also will be interesting to see if they go with an origin story or if we are put right in the action with Link already being viewed as a hero.

Last edited by Slownenberg - on 08 November 2023