By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Movie Breaking Records; 5 Day Opening Weekend Set To Beat Frozen 2

CaptainExplosion said:

Another actor I would've preferred for Cranky Kong is Christopher Lloyd. :)

I think Christopher Lloyd would work much better as Professor E.Gadd in a Luigi's Mansion movie

Around the Network

Flood gates opening for video game adaptations.

PAOerfulone said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Another actor I would've preferred for Cranky Kong is Christopher Lloyd. :)

I think Christopher Lloyd would work much better as Professor E.Gadd in a Luigi's Mansion movie

Seems like typecasting.

Maybe in the next movie Fred Armisen will try to sound more like Cranky Kong or at least be, you know, crankier.

KLAMarine said:

I mean there's been plenty of video game adaptations before. We just recently had Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Mortal Kombat, and Uncharted. So there's no shortage of those. None of those are close to the Mario movie, even though those films were fairly well received by their fanbases. 

This is the first time we've really had Nintendo adaptations, that is different from just "generic gaming property adaptation". 

Soundwave said:
KLAMarine said:

I mean there's been plenty of video game adaptations before. We just recently had Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Mortal Kombat, and Uncharted. So there's no shortage of those. None of those are close to the Mario movie, even though those films were fairly well received by their fanbases. 

This is the first time we've really had Nintendo adaptations, that is different from just "generic gaming property adaptation". 

And without that useless piece of shit Uwe Boll involved. ^^

Around the Network

I watched the movie yesterday. It's legitimately great. So much cool stuff happened in there, it was never boring. This made the movie feel short, but whatever.

I have to laugh at all the people who believe that the movie's target audience are kids. Most likely they aren't old enough to belong to the main target audience, and as such, they just don't get it like apparently so many reviews of critics.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

RolStoppable said:

I have to laugh at all the people who believe that the movie's target audience are kids. Most likely they aren't old enough to belong to the main target audience, and as such, they just don't get it like apparently so many reviews of critics.

What are the target audience in your opinion?

The movie is pretty shallow with a very simplistic story. There is not much there to "get" beside references to the games in which there are many and often great ones. My favorite was the map Cranky Kong had of the world mirroring the style of the map in Super Mario world.

I watched the movie some time ago. Basically this movie is nothing less than 100% fan service. If you experienced Mario through the last like at least 10 years and like this franchise, you most likely will have lots of fun. I think for people, who are not into this universe at all, the movie is not really a good one. Not sure if many people without any Mario-background can really enjoy this one. (i haven't read the whole thread^^)
Yet alone the scene in the arena vs DK when Mario wanted to eat a mushroom to get bigger and stronger and found a blue one. With knowing the item, it was pure gold, when you know what will happen in a second and that it is the complete opposite of what Mario wanted to achieve.
The only thing I did not liked was, that it was too rushed and too short. I think they should have made it 2 hours instead of 1.5 hours.
A bit more rainbow road, a bit more training parcour, a bit more here and a bit more there would have been really awesome. :)

Pajderman said:
RolStoppable said:

What are the target audience in your opinion?

The movie is pretty shallow with a very simplistic story. There is not much there to "get" beside references to the games in which there are many and often great ones. My favorite was the map Cranky Kong had of the world mirroring the style of the map in Super Mario world.

People who are 35-45 years old.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

RolStoppable said:

People who are 35-45 years old.

I'm 35 and feel like the main target for the movie is kids. Mostly because of the slapstick comedy that is abundant in the movie.

You are probably right that many of the references to the games will go unnoticed by kids. But even if I like them I feel they are a bonus and not the main point for seeing a film. Much like cameos in other movies, a fun little notch for people who notice, but not the main pull to see it.

I think their second take in the established Mario movie world will be better.