By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Movie Breaking Records; 5 Day Opening Weekend Set To Beat Frozen 2

Kakadu18 said:
Soundwave said:

Jurassic Park/World is also one of the 3 or 4 biggest movie IPs in the business with a 30 year old legacy. 

This is Nintendo's first movie. 

As an animated film it's going to outgross every animated film probably with the exception of like 3 or 4 Disney animated films (Disney's made like 70+ animated features). 

Like lets even look at say Pixar, this Mario movie is going to outgross every film Pixar has made in almost 30 years with maybe the exception of The Incredibles 2 and it still has a shot at Incredibles 2 (so more than any Toy Story movie). 

Dude, you said Mario will join Spider-Man: No Way Home, Top Gun Maverick and Avatar 2 as the only films to have grossed over 1 billion post Covid. Jurassic World: Dominion also grossed over 1 billion. Idgaf what IP it is from.

I misunderstood your post, JW Dominion did barely scrape past 1 billion on the back of bringing back the original film's cast. Mario is going to zip past it with ease at this point though. 

Will be interesting to see what the next Jurassic film does, at some point I think it becomes difficult to keep justifying scenarios where dinosaurs break out/break free somehow to terrorize humans for the 7th/8th/9th time etc. 

Around the Network

Well deserved $1 Billion. My wife and I had a blast taking our eldest daughter to see this as her first movie!

1doesnotsimply

Now they HAVE to do a Donkey Kong Country movie with the movie's version of the Kongs!! ^^

CaptainExplosion said:

Now they HAVE to do a Donkey Kong Country movie with the movie's version of the Kongs!! ^^

I'm all on board for a DKC movie.
I just hope they replace DK's voice actor. Seth Rogen's voice acting was the worst part of that movie.

psychicscubadiver said:
CaptainExplosion said:

I just hope they replace DK's voice actor. Seth Rogen's voice acting was the worst part of that movie.

Success will have the execs trying to chase that same success. I don’t think they’ll be changing any of the principle voice actors unless there are contract disagreements. But, yeah, he just sounds like Seth Rogan. Maybe he’ll work on it a bit. 

Around the Network
super_etecoon said:
psychicscubadiver said:

Success will have the execs trying to chase that same success. I don’t think they’ll be changing any of the principle voice actors unless there are contract disagreements. But, yeah, he just sounds like Seth Rogan. Maybe he’ll work on it a bit. 

It was a good fit for his character. I didn't really like Fred Armisen as Cranky Kong. I was hoping for Gilbert Gottfried but he passed away before that could happen. -_-

Just watched the movie.
I think it was just ok. It had humor and great animation.

It overdid the slapstick comedy and the story often felt forced into different scenarios in order to match settings in the Mario games.

The best parts in my opinion was the brotherly love between the two Mario brothers. The backstory flashbacks was nice.

I think it is a fine movie for children, and that was probably the main audience.
Hope they can take on a more serious project with Metroid or Zelda. With the cashflow from this movie they at least have the monetary means to expand.

Another actor I would've preferred for Cranky Kong is Christopher Lloyd. :)

CaptainExplosion said:

Christopher Lloyd, while he is a great actor and likely would have been perfect, is also in his mid 80s. I’m not sure they would want to cast someone so up in years for a franchise that they are just starting. 

Speaking of all these voice actors, do we think that any of them will be reprising their roles in future games? 

super_etecoon said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Christopher Lloyd, while he is a great actor and likely would have been perfect, is also in his mid 80s. I’m not sure they would want to cast someone so up in years for a franchise that they are just starting. 

Speaking of all these voice actors, do we think that any of them will be reprising their roles in future games? 

In future games, probably not. In new movies, sure.