By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Report: PS5 Pro could release as soon as 2024, generation to last through 2028

Runa216 said:

I'm fine, you're just seeking drama and Droidknight has had it out for me for a while due to some silly console war nonsense from years ago.

I don't have it out for you.  You're one of the more pronounced personalties on this site and it's nice to have diverse viewpoints in here.  I quite enjoy some of your takes.  

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
pikashoe said:

Droidknight has already said everything better than I could. I suggest you take a look at yourself and how you interact with others.

I'm fine, you're just seeking drama and Droidknight has had it out for me for a while due to some silly console war nonsense from years ago. IT's easy for you to just manufacture drama to assume there's some ill intent when I was very clearly engaging in discussion about the topic at hand. 

And I've still not gotten any sort of clarification about whether that 'warning' was a joke or not, since that'd be the silliest warning ever. 

He explained very clearly why you were in the wrong, you just don't seem to want to listen. You either have zero self awareness or are a troll, whichever is the case I suggest you take a look at yourself and in future I'd rather not have any interaction from you.

Darwinianevolution said:

I hope the trend of releasing Pro versions of the same console disappears. The only things it does is divide the userbase and cause buyer's remorse.

How does it divide the userbase? And no, buyer's remorse is objectively not the only thing it does. There is a big market for it and it's not taking away anything from the original console you bought, which will be supported for well over 10 years anyway. On the contrary, as someone who will likely skip the Pro again, I'm hopeful this move would encourage more developers to actually take full advantage of the base hardware instead of throwing more pixels at me and calling it "next gen visuals".

People will complain about everything, there will never be a solution that makes everyone happy. As long as the base console remains mandated, I don't see why more options shouldn't be welcome by everyone. They will cost more and not detract from what you paid for a year(s) prior. The next thing you guys will suggest is that consoles and games should never get pricedrops/deals because those too will cause buyer's remorse. Just enjoy what you paid for and let others enjoy other options. To wish against the existence of an option that will make a lot of people happy is something I'll never understand. Why even stop here? Start hoping PC manufacturers will also quit introducing new parts frequently, because those can make some of us remorseful/jealous in a never-ending loop of remorse and jealousy.

About time we accepted that technology is ever evolving.

Last edited by Kyuu - on 18 March 2023

Kyuu said:
Darwinianevolution said:

I hope the trend of releasing Pro versions of the same console disappears. The only things it does is divide the userbase and cause buyer's remorse.

How does it divide the userbase? And no, buyer's remorse is objectively not the only thing it does. There is a big market for it and it's not taking away anything from the original console you bought, which will be supported for well over 10 years anyway. On the contrary, as someone who will likely skip the Pro again, I'm hopeful this move would encourage more developers to actually take full advantage of the base hardware instead of throwing more pixels at me and calling it "next gen visuals".

People will complain about everything, there will never be a solution that makes everyone happy. As long as the base console remains mandated, I don't see why more options shouldn't be welcome by everyone. They will cost more and not detract from what you paid for a year(s) prior. The next thing you guys will suggest is that consoles and games should never get pricedrops/deals because those too will cause buyer's remorse. Just enjoy what you paid for and let others enjoy other options. To wish against the existence of an option that will make a lot of people happy is something I'll never understand. Why even stop here? Start hoping PC manufacturers will also quit introducing new parts frequently, because those can make some of us remorseful/jealous in a never-ending loop of remorse and jealousy.

Two versions of a game will look/run differently in the same ecosystem. Some games will not release on the weaker platform if the game is really demanding. And many people will see this and decide their purchase is not good enough and buy a second console, which is basically near identical to the one they have and pay premium for that.

Consoles are not PCs, you buy it expecting it to last as many years as possible. You don't want to spend that much money every couple of years, mobiles are bad enough for that, I don't want that business model for consoles. If you don't mind upgrading every now and then, you get a PC.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Darwinianevolution said:
Kyuu said:

Two versions of a game will look/run differently in the same ecosystem. Some games will not release on the weaker platform if the game is really demanding. And many people will see this and decide their purchase is not good enough and buy a second console, which is basically near identical to the one they have and pay premium for that.

Consoles are not PCs, you buy it expecting it to last as many years as possible. You don't want to spend that much money every couple of years, mobiles are bad enough for that, I don't want that business model for consoles. If you don't mind upgrading every now and then, you get a PC.

No, demanding games won't skip the base PS5 which is mandated, it's one of the few things that still set consoles (generations) apart from PC, for better or worse.

Mid gen upgrades existing literally will not affect your experience compared to if they wouldn't exist, unless Sony allow 3rd parties to skip the standard model which they will not (3rd parties will not want to skip it either way because it's crazy popular and will easily outsell the Pro). Until they do, you're not affected in a way that is dissimilar to pricedrops and deals for games and consoles. Neither PS4 Pro nor Xbox One X had games that couldn't run on the original console, and I don't expect this to change on the PS5 side (it may however change on the Xbox side because the Series S is underpowered from day 1). PS5 will power through the generation no problem, just with lower resolutions and settings. Hell, a lot people here seem to think even the Series S will be fine.

Around the Network

Options are nice, yes, but if I had already bought my PS5 I can see being pissed if there’s a stronger model coming out now. Maybe I would have waited had I known, if many games in the future run that much better on the Pro model. I mean, there’s a reason they’re making a stronger model - to target the better specs - and if doing that means that the lesser systems suffer from more than just lesser resolution sometimes because of it, then yeah, there’s a bearing on the people who spent $500 not knowing there would be a stronger option, especially this soon after people can finally start buying a PS5.

Personally, I miss the days when one piece of hardware was the target for the generation and we could look forward to how the games progressed from launch to its twilight years. Perhaps it made programmers work harder optimizing code and truly learning a console’s intricacies instead of just throwing more power at the problem. During Gen 7, Sony and Microsoft lost a ton of cash giving us super powerful consoles to last ~8 years before successors. For Gen 8, the companies went more modest for the time instead, resulting in mid-gen upgrades for PS and XB. The PS5 is plenty powerful for a console. It doesn’t need a mid-gen upgrade in my opinion, or at least it shouldn’t. We now have the ability to play games that are gorgeous at 60fps from the start and there's still plenty of juice left to squeeze from the current PS5. And if you're a developer with a next-gen vision for a game that can’t be realized properly on the current consoles, then maybe just save it for the PC or the PS6 instead? That’s what next-gen is for.

This is going to be the longest generation and it will be a 'seige' so to speak. Nintendo is perhaps the best performing hardware on the market right now, alongside being the best competitive in pricing. If I was on the board of Sony or Microsoft the aim of the game for me would be to force Nintendo into a protracted cycle where their hardware becomes obsolete, which happened to Nintendo in previous cycles.

archbrix said:

. And if you're a developer with a next-gen vision for a game that can’t be realized properly on the current consoles, then maybe just save it for the PC or the PS6 instead? That’s what next-gen is for.

But they do this. Those mid gen refresh never have exclusive games. All games that runs on PS4 Pro also run on base PS4. The Pro versions are for people who wants better performance and fidelity. With PCs evolving fast devs have opportunity to increase the specs of its games, the Pro versions are an opportunity for console gamers who want to play those better version that otherwise would either be exclusive to PCs or have to wait another 3 years to play it on next gen 

I don't know why you guys feel so sad and alienated because other people are having joy playing the games in a better version. It's a very kid-like behaviour, when you love a toy to death but suddenly became irritated because another kid got a new model of your toy. 

Darwinianevolution said:

I had the same 'fears' when ps4 pro and One X came out. But it turned out not to really make development harder, the pro consoles were just used to render at higher resolution / fps with a couple effects cranked up. With the exception of CP2077, everything worked perfectly fine on the base PS4. But yes, some multi-plats like Ark and Rust definitely ran a lot better on the pro.

Since developers are already relying on VRR to support their array of modes they like to provide this gen (quality, performance, RT) I'm fine with a ps5 pro coming. It will give devs more options to pursue game play advances if they can spread the modes over the consoles. Just like Series S and Series X, yet with PS5 as the base console and the pro for the 4K and 60 fps bells and whistles.

All games will still release on PS5, just like the all still released on PS4 after the pro came along. You can safely use the ps5 until the end of the generation. Only now Horizon FW is skipping PS4 (and pro) with its first DLC. There are zero games that only run on ps4 pro. You don't have to upgrade. However game development has not reached the end yet, and every generation we've seen performance get weaker towards the end of the generation simply due to developers pushing the hardware harder and harder to keep advancing games. With pro consoles you have an option to play them at higher settings instead of waiting for a next gen remaster...

And now gens are fully BC again, you get all the benefits of the 'pro' enhancements automatically. If you skip on the pro consoles, you still get all the benefits of it in the next console generation.

If you don't want to spend that much money, play last gens games. They perform wonderfully in BC mode, are fully complete, bug free, and cheap! Console generations keep getting longer, original PS1 lasted 5 years, original XBox only 4 years. A refresh after 4 years for an 7 or 8 year console generation, seems a win win for everyone. You still get 10 years of support of the original model, but don't have to resort to PC to still get decent performance on PC ports towards the end of the generation.

Darwinianevolution said:
Kyuu said:

List one game released on PS4Pro that didn't release on PS4, or X1X that didn't release on X1.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."