By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Report: PS5 Pro could release as soon as 2024, generation to last through 2028

Wman1996 said:
DonFerrari said:

I would expect late this year if the production is enough.

We might get a repeat of the PS2 timeline (the first PlayStation with a Slim naming, but the PSOne model of the PS1 was technically a slimmer version)

PS2: 2000 PS2 Slim: 2004

PS5: 2020 P55 Slim: 2024

But if we get a repeat of the roughly 3 years for a Slim that we got with the PS3 and PS4, then your expectation will prove correct. But we have to look at context. 

PS3 got a Slim in that time period because the PS3 was not working out and they needed a shift. PS4 got one in that timeline because the PS4 Pro came out around the same time (2 months later than the Slim) and Sony didn't feel like having 3 models. 

Launching a Slim in 2023 makes some sense, but doesn't make as much sense as 2024.

If Sony see's that demand won't be met for years yet without a Slim, then they need it asap.

If Sony see's that demand will be met by or near years end, then they need a cheaper Slim asap.

If Sony see's even more inflation or some type of downturn coming, then they need a cheaper Slim asap.

If they don't see any of this on the horizon, then I'd agree, there's no need to rush it before 2024.

Around the Network
pikashoe said:
Runa216 said:

Are you okay dude? You participated in a conversation and asked questions and seem to be aggressively offended that I...responded to you with answers? 

I repeat, what are you on about? what has you so upset? 

You started talking to me, and immediately picked an argument and insulted me for no reason and started shoving your opinion down my throat. The only question I asked you was what the ps3 slim had to do with mid gen upgrades, as I don't have an issue with cheaper options. You then ignored what I said and mentioned the ps3 slim being cheaper.

All I did in my initial comment was state my personal opinion on mid gen upgrades in agreement with someone else. You are the one that started an argument for no reason. You like these mid gen upgrades and that's fine, all power to you. I personally don't.

I think you're confused here for multiple reasons. IT's a thread about mid-console upgrades, I made a comment about that topic, you responded, I responded back. that's how this works, dude. Plus, if you 'gave your opinion' and I gave one as well...then what's the problem? 

Do you not understand how forum threads work? Like, we're supposed to be having a back-and-forth discussion on the topic at hand. This isn't a blog post, you're not supposed to just drop words and not expect people to respond or engage. 

You seem to be confused not only about how forum threads work but also about the level of malice implied by my responses. 

Leynos said:

Why is the cartoon raccoon arguing with the cartoon chicken? I find it kinda hilarious when people with silly avatars argue online.

I'm genuinely not arguing with them. I have no idea what imagined conflict they're conjuring here. 

They asked a question, I answered it...and they seem to think that equates to me shoving my opinions down their throat? I'm legit confused about this whole interaction. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

JRPGfan said:
shikamaru317 said:

Tom Henderson, a gaming journalist known to have pretty reliable sources, is reporting that Sony is planning to release PS5 Pro as soon as 2024, with the generation lasting through at least 2028. The goal of the PS5 Pro is primarily to boost resolution and ray tracing performance in games. 

This makes very little sense to me (a Pro version).
Just focus everything on makeing a cheap PS5 slim instead (imo).

Waiting out the all the issues the world has atm, and the economy being what it is, is probably not a bad move, prolonging the gen abit though.
(I just dont think it needs a Pro version for that)

NobleTeam360 said:

I feel 2028 is like the minimum this generation should last. I think 2029 or 2030 would be good for 10 gen machines.

^ this.
Economy as it is, we dont need a short generation cycle.
The longer the better (for the gamers out there).
(feel like PS5/XSX are plenty powerfull enough as is, game devs just gotta not go overboard with their games)

I'd say Switch is starting to feel abit long in the tooth.... but its been out the longeste as well (and is by far the weakest of the systems currently out).
It makes sense that theres a Switch 2 soon, as you could make a cheap new system, thats easily 2-3 times the power of the system, and would then be able to play more ports from PS5/XSX games.

Making a Pro doesn't prevent making a Slim. Also the lenght of the cycle doesn't have much to do with how is economy right now but how is the SW sales cycle is performing. So Whenever the system launch a replacement starts work with sometype of forecast timeline, but the real release will be when they see the SW cycle on the point it needs to receive the new HW to reinvigorate.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Runa216 said:
pikashoe said:

I agree, just feels like a middle finger to early adopters.

Both the PS3 slim and the PS4 pro came out 3 years after the console's initial release. 

This 'waaah, early adopters are getting screwed' take is so weird to me. You know what you're getting into getting any game or console at launch. Technology improves. Prices tend to go down. Deals and discounts happen after release. Been like that basically as long as there's been media or technology of ANY kind. If you don't...maybe you shouldn't be investing in hardware or software because you're clearly a child with no concept of time and technological progression yet

** User Runa216 was given a warning for calling a user childish.

Threw in the word waaah to imply he was crying, but that wasn't enough and then told him he shouldn't purchase hardware or software because he is a child that can't conceive of time and progression.  Those are clearly attacks on that individual.

Runa216 said:

I honestly think the 'warning' was a joke, because that is not 'warn-worthy' or breaking any rules and I got no moderation warnings or messages of any kind. If sincere, hoo boy that might be the silliest warning I've ever gotten anywhere for anything. 

And yeah, console generations do seem to be lasting a lot longer. I'm 37 and the SNES to N64 era, despite only being 5 years, felt longer than the PS3-PS4 era (which was I think 7 years) and the PS4 to PS5 era (Which I also think was 7 years). 360 to One era was 8. And the Switch is currently in its 6th year with little to no talk of new hardware on the horizon. (To be fair I think DS was like 8 years as well). 

At EARLIESt I think the PS6 will come out 2027, with 2028 making more sense especially with a mid-generation update in 2024. 

Right here you are pretending to be ignorant of doing anything that might have been insulting to the guy you were engaging with.

Runa216 said:
pikashoe said:

What does the ps3 slim have to do with anything, it wasn't more powerful than a normal ps3. I have no issue with slim models or cheaper alternatives, becuase they are generally targeting people who may not be able to afford the full priced version. These pro consoles for the most part are targeting people who already own the console.

It had a bigger hard drive, was cheaper, etc. IT's a basic idea that technology advances. Same with the DS. Same with phones. You know what you're buying when you buy it, understanding that there will be upgrades and alterations and improvements on later models. that's just how technology and time works. 

Nobody buys a car and complains to the manufacturer that they got screwed when next year's model comes out. That'd be stupid

This attack is a little more sneaky.  "It's a basic idea", "understanding", "Nobody", this is implying that everybody knows what is going on except the person that you are supposedly having a conversation with.  Then without directly calling him stupid, still did.

Runa216 said:
pikashoe said:

Pretty obvious. Maybe you need to improve your reading comprehension? Not sure what you're not getting?

Are you okay dude? You participated in a conversation and asked questions and seem to be aggressively offended that I...responded to you with answers? 

I repeat, what are you on about? what has you so upset

In this response, even though he did point out your lack of reading comprehension, you imply that there may be something wrong with him.  That he may not be okay, that he may be offended aggressively offended.  And then you feign ignorance again and ask what could possibly have him so upset?

Runa216 said:
pikashoe said:

You started talking to me, and immediately picked an argument and insulted me for no reason and started shoving your opinion down my throat. The only question I asked you was what the ps3 slim had to do with mid gen upgrades, as I don't have an issue with cheaper options. You then ignored what I said and mentioned the ps3 slim being cheaper.

All I did in my initial comment was state my personal opinion on mid gen upgrades in agreement with someone else. You are the one that started an argument for no reason. You like these mid gen upgrades and that's fine, all power to you. I personally don't.

I think you're confused here for multiple reasons. IT's a thread about mid-console upgrades, I made a comment about that topic, you responded, I responded back. that's how this works, dude. Plus, if you 'gave your opinion' and I gave one as well...then what's the problem? 

Do you not understand how forum threads work? Like, we're supposed to be having a back-and-forth discussion on the topic at hand. This isn't a blog post, you're not supposed to just drop words and not expect people to respond or engage

You seem to be confused not only about how forum threads work but also about the level of malice implied by my responses. 

In here is a whole barrage of the same form of snide attacks that you utilized earlier.

Leynos said:

Why is the cartoon raccoon arguing with the cartoon chicken? I find it kinda hilarious when people with silly avatars argue online.

I'm genuinely not arguing with them. I have no idea what imagined conflict they're conjuring here. 

They asked a question, I answered it...and they seem to think that equates to me shoving my opinions down their throat? I'm legit confused about this whole interaction. 

And now once again trying to play innocent and ignorant of what could possibly be the problem. 

Lol.

Everybody here knows you're intelligent enough to know exactly what you are doing.

Last edited by DroidKnight - on 18 March 2023

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

DonFerrari said:
JRPGfan said:

This makes very little sense to me (a Pro version).
Just focus everything on makeing a cheap PS5 slim instead (imo).

Waiting out the all the issues the world has atm, and the economy being what it is, is probably not a bad move, prolonging the gen abit though.
(I just dont think it needs a Pro version for that)

NobleTeam360 said:

I feel 2028 is like the minimum this generation should last. I think 2029 or 2030 would be good for 10 gen machines.

^ this.
Economy as it is, we dont need a short generation cycle.
The longer the better (for the gamers out there).
(feel like PS5/XSX are plenty powerfull enough as is, game devs just gotta not go overboard with their games)

I'd say Switch is starting to feel abit long in the tooth.... but its been out the longeste as well (and is by far the weakest of the systems currently out).
It makes sense that theres a Switch 2 soon, as you could make a cheap new system, thats easily 2-3 times the power of the system, and would then be able to play more ports from PS5/XSX games.

Making a Pro doesn't prevent making a Slim. Also the lenght of the cycle doesn't have much to do with how is economy right now but how is the SW sales cycle is performing. So Whenever the system launch a replacement starts work with sometype of forecast timeline, but the real release will be when they see the SW cycle on the point it needs to receive the new HW to reinvigorate.

I mean they could be doing both.... I hope their not only doing a pro (If so).
I think a slim makes much more sense.

Also cycles of consoles dont have much to do with how the economy is atm.... but I'm sure, they rather have their launch/early years on a economic boom, than than the oppersite. It has to have some effect on hardware/software sales, no?

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
DonFerrari said:

I mean they could be doing both.... I hope their not only doing a pro (If so).
I think a slim makes much more sense.

Also cycles of consoles dont have much to do with how the economy is atm.... but I'm sure, they rather have their launch/early years on a economic boom, than than the oppersite. It has to have some effect on hardware/software sales, no?

Yep, it makes more sense to make slim (saves cost, can be sold cheaper so accelerate sales, and usually can have more production per wafer solving production issues somewhat) than to make the pro, so if it was only one slim is more likely.

Sure if they can choose they rather launch with economy on a good state.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I hope the trend of releasing Pro versions of the same console disappears. The only things it does is divide the userbase and cause buyer's remorse.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Runa216 said:
pikashoe said:

Do you not understand how forum threads work? Like, we're supposed to be having a back-and-forth discussion on the topic at hand. This isn't a blog post, you're not supposed to just drop words and not expect people to respond or engage. 

Leynos said:

Droidknight has already said everything better than I could. I suggest you take a look at yourself and how you interact with others.

DroidKnight said:
Runa216 said:

Both the PS3 slim and the PS4 pro came out 3 years after the console's initial release. 

This 'waaah, early adopters are getting screwed' take is so weird to me. You know what you're getting into getting any game or console at launch. Technology improves. Prices tend to go down. Deals and discounts happen after release. Been like that basically as long as there's been media or technology of ANY kind. If you don't...maybe you shouldn't be investing in hardware or software because you're clearly a child with no concept of time and technological progression yet

** User Runa216 was given a warning for calling a user childish.

Threw in the word waaah to imply he was crying, but that wasn't enough and then told him he shouldn't purchase hardware or software because he is a child that can't conceive of time and progression.  Those are clearly attacks on that individual.

Runa216 said:

I honestly think the 'warning' was a joke, because that is not 'warn-worthy' or breaking any rules and I got no moderation warnings or messages of any kind. If sincere, hoo boy that might be the silliest warning I've ever gotten anywhere for anything. 

And yeah, console generations do seem to be lasting a lot longer. I'm 37 and the SNES to N64 era, despite only being 5 years, felt longer than the PS3-PS4 era (which was I think 7 years) and the PS4 to PS5 era (Which I also think was 7 years). 360 to One era was 8. And the Switch is currently in its 6th year with little to no talk of new hardware on the horizon. (To be fair I think DS was like 8 years as well). 

At EARLIESt I think the PS6 will come out 2027, with 2028 making more sense especially with a mid-generation update in 2024. 

Right here you are pretending to be ignorant of doing anything that might have been insulting to the guy you were engaging with.

Runa216 said:

It had a bigger hard drive, was cheaper, etc. IT's a basic idea that technology advances. Same with the DS. Same with phones. You know what you're buying when you buy it, understanding that there will be upgrades and alterations and improvements on later models. that's just how technology and time works. 

Nobody buys a car and complains to the manufacturer that they got screwed when next year's model comes out. That'd be stupid

This attack is a little more sneaky.  "It's a basic idea", "understanding", "Nobody", this is implying that everybody knows what is going on except the person that you are supposedly having a conversation with.  Then without directly calling him stupid, still did.

Runa216 said:

I repeat, what are you on about? what has you so upset

In this response, even though he did point out your lack of reading comprehension, you imply that there may be something wrong with him.  That he may not be okay, that he may be offended aggressively offended.  And then you feign ignorance again and ask what could possibly have him so upset?

Runa216 said:

Do you not understand how forum threads work? Like, we're supposed to be having a back-and-forth discussion on the topic at hand. This isn't a blog post, you're not supposed to just drop words and not expect people to respond or engage

In here is a whole barrage of the same form of snide attacks that you utilized earlier.

Leynos said:

And now once again trying to play innocent and ignorant of what could possibly be the problem. 

Lol.

Everybody here knows you're intelligent enough to know exactly what you are doing.

Am I being punked here? IS this some sort of weird 'confuse me until I have a freak-out moment' prank? 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

pikashoe said:
Runa216 said:

Leynos said:

Droidknight has already said everything better than I could. I suggest you take a look at yourself and how you interact with others.

I'm fine, you're just seeking drama and Droidknight has had it out for me for a while due to some silly console war nonsense from years ago. IT's easy for you to just manufacture drama to assume there's some ill intent when I was very clearly engaging in discussion about the topic at hand. 

And I've still not gotten any sort of clarification about whether that 'warning' was a joke or not, since that'd be the silliest warning ever. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX