By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Report: PS5 Pro could release as soon as 2024, generation to last through 2028

Chrkeller said:

Best target, imho, is 1440p, 60 fps and 120 hz. Native 4k is overrated.

Agreed and with a good implementation of FSR/DLSS it'll look incredible on 4k screens still. I'll take 1080p60 over 4k30 even without upscaling any day but FSR/DLSS tech makes it a no brainer.

If there's enough power there for 1080p60 and DLSS/FSR that's enough for me. Though I expect PS5/XSX will start seeing a lot more 30fps games when the crossgen period ends.

Around the Network
A203D said:

This is going to be the longest generation and it will be a 'seige' so to speak. Nintendo is perhaps the best performing hardware on the market right now, alongside being the best competitive in pricing. If I was on the board of Sony or Microsoft the aim of the game for me would be to force Nintendo into a protracted cycle where their hardware becomes obsolete, which happened to Nintendo in previous cycles.

Are you saying you want this gen to be really long or you just think it will be?

To me, if Sony (MS seems to be going out of their way to be quite friendly to Nin) wanted to make things harder on Nin in terms of (Switch 2) hardware, then they should take any money that would be going into Pro and invest it into Slim. Even if that meant subsidizing Slim (more) to make it even cheaper, assuming they could keep up with the demand.

Then Sony should launch PS6 in 2026, again, using practically the newest most advanced tech like the PS5 did. By extending this gen, Sony isn't going to want to make Pro any more than $500-$600 because that makes the next gen step to PS6 look that much weaker, unless they wait until like 2030. If Sony planned on an 8 year gen, then PS5 Pro has to follow a similar path like PS4 Pro did, which basically just extends the same or similar tech for longer, which would help Nin with their third party (Switch 2) lineup.

The funny thing is I would easily drop 60fps, 4k and Raytracing. I understand 60fps matters a lot to a lot of people, or to specific experiences.... but as a whole I think this is the first generation where I feel like the hardware is being wasted on ticking boxes versus expanding people's gameplay experiences.

Otter said:

The funny thing is I would easily drop 60fps, 4k and Raytracing. I understand 60fps matters a lot to a lot of people, or to specific experiences.... but as a whole I think this is the first generation where I feel like the hardware is being wasted on ticking boxes versus expanding people's gameplay experiences.

Exactly why I'm pro pro-consoles. That way the boxes can be ticked on the pro consoles like last gen while gameplay experiences can continue to evolve. Base console can run the same stuff at 1440p30 and/or 720p60. Pro console 4K/30 and/or 1440p60 with a 20tf gpu.

Concerns over midgen upgrades would have made much more sense last generation, because no one really saw them coming, as opppsed to this gen where everyone knew they were a high possibility. I commented on PS5 Pro like a couple of days before this report, it's predictable. An Xbox refresh is also predictable.... I mean it's called "Series" for crying out loud. MS not launching one would imply a change of plans.

The other difference as already been mentioned here is that demanding games will prioritize visuals/physics/design over resolutions and in some cases framerate (I'd be perfectly happy with 40fps for non-competitive/single player games, and see those saved resources used for physics instead). This could not have been done on PS4 because that console maxed at 1080p with little space for reducing resolutions without clearly hurting image quality. Most games on PS5 are rendered in between 1440p and 4K.

So the pros of having a Pro around (no pun intended) easily outweigh the "cons". Console gamers generally don't give a damn about resolutions past 1080p, which is partly why PS4 Pro didn't set the world on fire. Resolution jumps from PS1/CD to PS2/DVD and then to PS3/BD immediately blew my mind, you just don't get that effect anymore, it's turning into a waste of resources that mainly appeals to enthusiasts. Almost akin to how a multi thousand dollar pair of headphones appeals to an audiophile (I own a Sundara + amplifier and haven't touched it in ages. I prefer my $30 earbuds lol).

Last edited by Kyuu - on 21 March 2023

Around the Network

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:

I wouldn't be disappointed.