By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Report: PS5 Pro could release as soon as 2024, generation to last through 2028

Tom Henderson, a gaming journalist known to have pretty reliable sources, is reporting that Sony is planning to release PS5 Pro as soon as 2024, with the generation lasting through at least 2028. The goal of the PS5 Pro is primarily to boost resolution and ray tracing performance in games. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 14 March 2023

Around the Network

Personally, the timetable feels a bit soon to me; considering how slow the start of this gen was due to hardware production issues and developers pushing cross-gen releases longer than normal, I figured we wouldn't see PS5 Pro until Holiday 2025 and PS6 Holiday 2029.

Good. I'm glad there will be options going forward for console gamers who want better performance but don't want a PC.

If there was a PS3 pro for example I may not have switched to PC in 2012. Consoles can become quite painful to use once their 6-7 years old and showing their age.

Too soon for me since games still don't take advantage.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I wonder how many of these “Pro” rumors are started by rival manufacturers to make people fence sit until the next upgrade arises. I’m mostly being facetious, but these mid-gen refresh rumors have plagued the Switch. Personally I wish they’d just stick with one horse and ride it through the gen.

Around the Network
super_etecoon said:

I wonder how many of these “Pro” rumors are started by rival manufacturers to make people fence sit until the next upgrade arises. I’m mostly being facetious, but these mid-gen refresh rumors have plagued the Switch. Personally I wish they’d just stick with one horse and ride it through the gen.

I agree, just feels like a middle finger to early adopters.

I'll get it if that means more 90 fps native PSVR2 games or super sampling for increased fidelity on the pro. PS4 pro did a lot for PSVR and now people are discovering the advantages of running PSVR games on PS5 on the old headset, PS5 making full use of the PS4 pro enhancements.

2024 seems a bit soon though, but fine by me. PS5 pro 2024, PSVR2 revision 2025? Probably won't come till 2025 though.

I feel 2028 is like the minimum this generation should last. I think 2029 or 2030 would be good for 10 gen machines.

Damn, gotta wait another year if that is the case.

I was thinking about buying a PS5 this year but I might hold off on it since I spent so much already this year (with what I plan to do) lol

So we finally get a year where PS5 stocks can run through it all, just to possibly announce the existence of a better console a year from now on ...

I mean to me, this simply looks like another "Switch Pro" situation in the making. Otherwise, were it to be true, then it truly feels like the middle finger to those who were promised the advancements from this generation.

Also if you thought the PS5 and Xbox Series X were pricey ... Oh my sweet mother child, how much do you think these will cost upwards of the current consoles. Certainly one way to boost their revenue...

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909