By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The New D&D Movie Is Actually Reviewing Well!

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/dungeons-dragons-honor-among-thieves/critic-reviews

"Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves conjures its own type of movie magic that proudly stands apart from other fantasy films. The heartfelt story, enchanting characters, dazzling visual effects, and fun-filled nature will allow the film to be a treasured classic. An adaptation of this caliber could be considered a roll of the dice to some, but Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves has already proved itself to be an ironclad winner." -IndieWire

"Say what you will about this film, so far its nailed the "rampant bullshittery that usually happens during a session of D&D" vibe." -TheGlassPhantom

I hoped this would turn out well but I definitely wasn't confident that it would. It's nice to see game-centric adaptations start pulling themselves out of mediocrity. I'll be sure to see it opening weekend.

Around the Network

I think I'll be seeing this at the movies; it looks like great fun. Been waiting for something like this ever since the dreadful attempt some 20 years back, with one of the Wayans brothers and Jeremy Irons hamming up this screen.

They went for Guardians of the Galaxy vibe, so, if trailers are anything to go by, they've more or less nailed that feel and I think it will be quite successful.

I'll be going to watch it for sure, especially since in my latest campaign Red Wizards of Thay were main villains...come to think of it, I'll probably watch it with all my players, though that's downright inviting misery for me if they ask to play 5e again.

In retrospect, I'm happy they went with "rampant bullshittery that usually happens during a session of D&D"...not that this is the default mode for DnD, but it can be a lot of fun. I do miss that there is no classic Old School "slightly dimwitted and Lawful Good to a fault" Paladin, that fits perfectly in such a setting, but it seems that most of the characters in the film more than make up for it.

Tame Impala did an exclusive song for the soundtrack. Everything is immediately 78% better, if it includes Tame Impala.

Hopefully it is actually good, I often find my opinions of shows and movies are at odds with modern film/tv critics.

Around the Network

I'm just glad to see non super hero blockbusters making a comeback, hopefully it does well at the boxoffice

pikashoe said:

I'm just glad to see non super hero blockbusters making a comeback, hopefully it does well at the boxoffice

We're prolly at an in-between period where movies of various genres can be strong in presence now that the super-hero(multiverse) craze is over. The latest Marvel release just confirmed this.

Of course, it'll be interesting to see what the producers will be chasing for in the future cuz right now I feel like VG adaptations recent success could implode in some capacity and become the staple as well.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

The people behind this movie made a whole song and dance about emasculating the male characters on purpose, so I don't know about this one. Then again, it could be just lip service to appease the Twitterati who want to shit on men, and the actual movie might not be as bad they make it out to be. We live in funny times.
Will have to see what my trusted sources say about this.

Dante9 said:

The people behind this movie made a whole song and dance about emasculating the male characters on purpose, so I don't know about this one. Then again, it could be just lip service to appease the Twitterati who want to shit on men, and the actual movie might not be as bad they make it out to be. We live in funny times.

I've read that somewhere as well, though I must admit I don't get that vibe from trailers. Though, given how much Wizards of the Coast (as D&D IP holder) went full retard on certain subjects in the last few years, I do wonder if their in-house politics got something to do with those statements.

HoloDust said:
Dante9 said:

I've read that somewhere as well, though I must admit I don't get that vibe from trailers. Though, given how much Wizards of the Coast (as D&D IP holder) went full retard on certain subjects in the last few years, I do wonder if their in-house politics got something to do with those statements.

I don't know, man. Even the trailer that I've seen at least gives me the "goofy useless men and girlboss women who take care of business" vibes. And yeah, WotC have gone full mental virus as well.

It would be so cool to have an actually cool D&D movie, but I'm not holding my breath.