By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The New D&D Movie Is Actually Reviewing Well!

Dante9 said:
HoloDust said:

I've read that somewhere as well, though I must admit I don't get that vibe from trailers. Though, given how much Wizards of the Coast (as D&D IP holder) went full retard on certain subjects in the last few years, I do wonder if their in-house politics got something to do with those statements.

I don't know, man. Even the trailer that I've seen at least gives me the "goofy useless men and girlboss women who take care of business" vibes. And yeah, WotC have gone full mental virus as well.

It would be so cool to have an actually cool D&D movie, but I'm not holding my breath.

Well, as I said, I didn't get that feel from trailers, whatever people making the film said in interviews about "emasculating men on purpose". Looking at official character stats at D&D Beyond paints a fairly standard picture of their classes, with Paladin being the toughest of them (though, he is of higher level than the others), so I guess only after watching the film I'll see if there's any truth to those statements, or it's just (bad) "advertising".

Honestly, I would like for the film to be even sillier than it apparently is, if they chose to go the route of the light-hearted DnD campaign. Personally, I prefer much grimmer stuff, but that doesn't fit too well with DnD, at least the modern take on it.

Now, Elric of Melnibone - that would be something I would love to see, a proper film or a show to give it the justice it deserves, given how many writers over the decades borrowed from Moorcock (like Martin and Sapkowski, to name two of the most well known).

Around the Network

Well, watched it yesterday and for the most part it was fairly good. There is one part that is just plain bad,

Spoiler!
when Holga visits her ex-lover (or husband, didn't quite get it) which supposed to be...halfling I guess - the thing is, he just looks like size reduced human, instead of proper halfling - visually, it looks like extremely cheap CGI,

but it is short and doesn't detract from overall fun of the film.

As I said previously, I would've liked for film to be much sillier, with all the characters being stereotypical over the top DnD characters for their classes, but it was fun nonetheless.There is a dragon in it, but not much (if any) of a dungeon crawling, so that's a opportunity missed.

Folks I went with quite enjoyed it (for the most part).
Some of them were players from my campaign that had Red Wizards of Thay

Spoiler!
(just like the film) as main antagonists

(I meshed up Ghost of Saltmarsh, which I located on the coast south of Daggerford, close to Trollbark Forest, with old Beta test materials for 5e (Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle and Scourge of the Sword Coast)) - they were happy to see live action "rendering" of some of familiar stuff from their games, but enjoyed film as well for what it is on its own (except for one person).
Some of them never played DnD or any TTPRG - most of them enjoyed the Marvel-esque nature of the film (again, except for one person).

One thing I was disappointed about it is that IMAX format didn't bring anything much - it stays the same size throughout the whole film, which is, IMO, lazy usage of IMAX.

Overall, pretty enjoyable experience, I think it will do fairly good at box office, which will most likely kick off more of similar films.

The people making this movie must have been tearing their hair out for the last couple of months, seeing Hasbro and WotC basically burning down the franchise to the ground and condemning the movie to rejection from their audience from the get go.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

I completely forgot this existed or didnt hear about it.

Dont have Netflix Paramount+ but guess I'll put it in my to watch list if I ever get Netflix Paramount+.

Last edited by BasilZero - on 02 April 2023

Saw it last night, it's very entertaining and mostly well-written. Great cast with good chemistry. Nice to see Hugh Grant again! The story isn't all that original, by the halfway point of the movie, most people will have figured out what the ending will be, but it's a great film filled with memorable moments. I think my favorite scene in the entire movie is when they set out to gather information about an artifact. It really reminded me of some of the tricks I pull myself as a GM hosting RPG sessions, and it made me laugh several times.

Around the Network

Saw it yesterday, thought it was a lot of fun. I think the actors chemistry really helps sell it. I was surprised at the amount of people in the screening with me.

BasilZero said:

Dont have Netflix but guess I'll put it in my to watch list if I ever get Netflix.

I doubt it'll come to netflix. Paramount plus seems the more likely place for it to be streaming eventually 

pikashoe said:
BasilZero said:

Dont have Netflix but guess I'll put it in my to watch list if I ever get Netflix.

I doubt it'll come to netflix. Paramount plus seems the more likely place for it to be streaming eventually 

Yeah, it will be on Paramount+ for sure. It's a Paramount movie and they already greenlit a spinoff D&D tv show for Paramount+. 

I have a friend from college who will love this movie. ^^

Saw it on opening night. It nails the source materials. Alot of Easter eggs for those who are big fans of the DNd. Brought my best friend who is a super fan and he thoroughly enjoyed it saying its the best adaption cause of how close they followed the source material.. Comedy part is on point and it's what u expect when u have a session of dnd. Worth a watch