By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Update: Leaker says the new Switch model he teased is next-gen, not a revision, Q1 2024 release

NX/Switch probably was targeted for holiday 2016 anyway, I don't think they just randomly chose the first week of March as the ideal date. When they couldn't make holiday 2016, the next important cut off for Nintendo as a company would be the fiscal year end which is end of March every year, so getting the system out in early March would at least give their financials for that fiscal year ending a boost before it was over. 

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
Pemalite said:

Here is Jason "reporting" on the Nintendo Switch releasing in 2016 which didn't actually happen.

https://kotaku.com/possible-leak-that-nailed-pokemon-codename-also-lists-n-1761518611

So again. How do you know which leak is accurate and which one isn't?

To be fair, he is commenting on another person's leaks in that article, it's not a leak based on his own sources. Schreier has overall the best track record in the whole industry in terms of leaks, just as a for instance, I recall him accurately leaking details of every Assassin's Creed from 2011's Revelations through 2018's Odyssey, it got to the point where Ubisoft had pretty much blacklisted him, leading to him not talking about Valhalla at all until another leaker talked about it first. And those AC games were just some of his many accurate leaks. Now obviously nobody is 100% accurate, but in Schreier's case, his misses usually seem to be because of internal delays or cancellations after his initial leak, rather than bad sources on his part, though he did have bad sources a few times over the years. 

He is still propagating false information, information that people will "believe".

He is a "credible source" remember?

Norion said:
Pemalite said:

Here is Jason "reporting" on the Nintendo Switch releasing in 2016 which didn't actually happen.

https://kotaku.com/possible-leak-that-nailed-pokemon-codename-also-lists-n-1761518611

So again. How do you know which leak is accurate and which one isn't?

In this example you'd look towards the end of the article and see that he said he hadn't been able to confirm it with any of his own sources so it wasn't something he was vouching for. Shikamaru went into his high accuracy but the main point is what the source is and how it's being reported. If a console is launching in under a year and leaked details about it are being widely reported on then there's gonna be a lot of accuracy to it. As I said before anyone paying attention to leaks in 2016 knew that the Switch was gonna be a hybrid system ahead of time so leaks clearly have value.

Majority of "leaks" cannot be confirmed. They are leaks.
He is just trying to cover his ass, despite propagating false information.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Norion said:

In this example you'd look towards the end of the article and see that he said he hadn't been able to confirm it with any of his own sources so it wasn't something he was vouching for. Shikamaru went into his high accuracy but the main point is what the source is and how it's being reported. If a console is launching in under a year and leaked details about it are being widely reported on then there's gonna be a lot of accuracy to it. As I said before anyone paying attention to leaks in 2016 knew that the Switch was gonna be a hybrid system ahead of time so leaks clearly have value.

That's not really a fair way of looking at it. He's up front about what stuff he's fully confident in and what he's not confident in like that article you shared. If he's fully confident about something then it's very likely to be true, his track record is that good. People trust what he says for a reason. It's good to be sceptical but dismissing leaks entirely is going overboard with scepticism.

haxxiy said:
160rmf said:

Bc it can't be taken as granted that will happen as the way they want to happen. You could have several stock issues or another wii u situation.

Plus you throw away a 100+Million Userbase that could bring more software sales to the table 

The best thing they did in the past that I can give as a comparison to my hypothetical scenario was the Switch in its first years while the 3ds was still getting software support. 

One can wish or expect for Switch support to continue to happen because Sony and MS are doing it (for digital ecosystem reasons more than software sales), but it runs counter to Nintendo's history.

Did Mario 3D Land and Pikmin 3 release for the Wii? Pokémon X&Y or A Link Between Worlds for the DS? That was a 250m userbase...

In fact, one can argue the only major Nintendo games that deliberately release after a successor console is out are reused asset Pokémon versions (Crystal, Emerald, B&W2, US&UM).

Well, whatever we say, one thing is right... Nintendo will be Nintendo.

They maybe will follow history, financial logic or make something new absolutely stupid or amazing. Absolutely everything can be expected from them lol 

We reap what we sow

Pemalite said:

He is still propagating false information, information that people will "believe".

He is a "credible source" remember?

I've heard you give this point of view a few times. I don't think that it has to be the dichotomy you think it does. A source can be more credible than others based on the accuracy of their "leaks". In addition, you can read a "leak" and understand that it may or may not be true, but the likelihood of it being true is higher with some people than with others. 

Lastly, there is some information that is true, but then there are assumptions on top of it that are thrown in. When someone found the Gameboy Advance emulator on the Switch for testing on Switch online they assumed that GBA games were definitely coming. But the truth is that the emulator exists, but Nintendk could have decided against adding them to the service and do something else with them (or nothing). Of course, they did add them, but they could have decided otherwise. Another example is the chip that the Switch 2 is supposedly using (T239). The chip exists in some form (whether it be on paper or physically). However, that doesn't mean that this is the chip that the Switch 2 will use. So understanding the difference between those two things is important. 

Around the Network

Duplicate post

Dam. I was going to pick up a switch and the new Zelda once released, but now I might have to wait another year for the new one..

Norion said:

Leaks can be trustworthy though. Anyone who paid attention to them in 2016 would've known in advance that the Switch was gonna be a hybrid system. You just need to sort through the crap to get to the stuff that seems legit.

Nobody managed to change Pemalite's opinion on rumours/leaks so you won't succeed here unfortunately

kazuyamishima said:

The won’t confirm the Switch 2 until the end of the year, similar to what they did with the current switch which was unveiled in October 2016 and released in March 2017.

Not really the same, they said in 2015 "we are working on a new console project name NX", the unveil of what it actually was was indeed in October 2016. So the follow-up to the Wii U was already confirmed back in 2015. Which is not the case here, there is no news on what's coming next.

Soundwave said:

NX/Switch probably was targeted for holiday 2016 anyway, I don't think they just randomly chose the first week of March as the ideal date. When they couldn't make holiday 2016, the next important cut off for Nintendo as a company would be the fiscal year end which is end of March every year, so getting the system out in early March would at least give their financials for that fiscal year ending a boost before it was over. 

Yeah rumours/leaks suggested internal dispute lead to the delay of the launch of the console (and BOTW) from late 2016 to early 2017.

PS5 outsells Switch for 5th week in a row in Japan. #colapes
https://tech4gamers.com/ps5-nintendo-switch-sales/

No Switch Pro, just a new OLED screen for $350.

Gaijin Steam Deck first real competition in a decade.

A single product company sitting on a declining product.

President Furukawa cannot show face in public anymore.

Soon action will be necessary.