By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Update: Leaker says the new Switch model he teased is next-gen, not a revision, Q1 2024 release

Update: The leaker is back and says that the new Switch model he mentioned in his previous leak is a next-gen successor, not a revision or Pro model. He also says that as far as he knows DLC 2 is releasing in Q1 2024, not Q4 2023, and since he previously said the new console would release alongside DLC 2, we can now peg Switch 2 as a Q1 2024 release:

Original post:

Last week a leaker on 4chan claiming to work at a company that Nintendo outsourced some work on the Pokemon DLC to, leaked multiple details about the DLC which were proven accurate today, including the name of the DLC and the appearance and/or typing of several Pokemon. He also claimed that his studio was working on a graphics update for Pokemon Scarlet/Violet on new Switch models for release alongside DLC 2 later this year (DLC 2 is scheduled for Winter 2023 officially now). 

While the wording of his leak says it is new Switch models, rather than Switch 2, we previously heard from Eurogamer's Digital Foundry and other sources that plans for Switch Pro were scrapped in favor of a Switch successor, so it would seem likely this new model, if it does indeed exist, is a proper Switch 2, not Switch Pro. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 01 March 2023

Around the Network

I can't see a Switch Pro releasing 7 years into the life of the Switch but a Switch 2 releasing in the next 12 months or so seems very likely even without any leaks.

Hmmm. Well interesting that he got the DLC stuff right. Did anyone else leak that?

But knowing that doesn't mean he knows other information. May simply be get something smaller like the DLC right to get some credibility and then make something huge up for drama/giggles.

But I would be pleasantly surprised if the Switch 2 launches this year. If it's "New Switch 2DS XLi" meh.

Maybe, I wouldn't complain, but I have some doubts.

For one, why would you have a new hardware model or successor model and then not launch with your biggest game release of the year (Zelda: TotK)? It doesn't make a whole lot of sense especially when it's like Zelda is May and this hardware would be presumably only a few months later in November or so? You could have surely just
held the game back a few months.

Second, we're almost into March and there doesn't really seem to be much chatter from other dev/manufacturing sources about a new model this year other than this one Pokemon guy.

Third, Furukawa told investors he doesn't think new hardware would boost sales much this year (from the Q&A):

"But in the Nintendo Switch’s seventh year, it might be hard to increase unit sales with hardware-related initiatives alone. That is my candid impression."

That doesn't really sound like new hardware this year. Of course Nintendo can do whatever, but I do have some doubts. We'll see I guess if there's increased chatter/leaks in the next few months.

My best guess is still 2024. 

Soundwave said:

For one, why would you have a new hardware model or successor model and then not launch with your biggest game release of the year (Zelda: TotK)? It doesn't make a whole lot of sense especially when it's like Zelda is May and this hardware would be presumably only a few months later in November or so? You could have surely just

Well it wouldn't be the first time a platform holder did that. The Last of Us and Gran Turismo 6 come to mind.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

Second, we're almost into March and there doesn't really seem to be much chatter from other dev/manufacturing sources about a new model this year other than this one Pokemon guy.

Third, Furukawa told investors he doesn't think new hardware would boost sales much this year (from the Q&A):

"But in the Nintendo Switch’s seventh year, it might be hard to increase unit sales with hardware-related initiatives alone. That is my candid impression."

That doesn't really sound like new hardware this year. Of course Nintendo can do whatever, but I do have some doubts. We'll see I guess if there's increased chatter/leaks in the next few months.

My best guess is still 2024. 

Well, as for your first thought, they could be doing that because they want a double dip on Zelda TOTK, they may want people to buy it for $70 on Switch and then turn around and pay another $70 for the Switch 2 port with enhanced graphics. But I agree on the rest of your points. While this leaker may be right about his studio working on a Scarlet/Violet graphics update for Switch 2, I think he is mistaken about it releasing alongside DLC 2 in Winter 2023 (December). Maybe Nintendo has told his studio that, but they are planning internally to release Switch 2 in March 2024 and will delay that graphics update until then, instead of releasing it alongside DLC 2 like the leaker thinks.

The other thing is the Pokemon DLC runs through spring 2024 apparently ("All content will be released until April 2024"), so the graphics enhancement could be referring to something like Switch 2 launching in April 2024 and the graphics enhancement portion of the DLC releasing then.

Do you have the actual 4chan link for this post ?

SKMBlake said:

Do you have the actual 4chan link for this post ?

No, I don't. I got the screenshot of the leak from Pokemon Leak compiler Centro Leaks over on twitter. He didn't post the link with it, maybe it was deleted. He said he verified that the 4chan leak was posted before the Pokemon Presents.

Soundwave said:

For one, why would you have a new hardware model or successor model and then not launch with your biggest game release of the year (Zelda: TotK)? It doesn't make a whole lot of sense especially when it's like Zelda is May and this hardware would be presumably only a few months later in November or so? You could have surely just held the game back a few months.

Not when you can sell people Tears of the Kingdom: 4K Ultimate Edition instead.

(only $79.99 at your local GameStop!)