By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 8, 2023 (13 Feb - 19 Feb)

SKMBlake said:

Wow another win for PS5, can't believe people were like "nah Sony is dead over there"

I mean, 3 million in over 2 years isn't great. It was necessary it gains some boost anytime or else it would have been catastrophic. Let's see how this surge holds though. 

Around the Network
SKMBlake said:

Wow another win for PS5, can't believe people were like "nah Sony is dead over there"

Tried to warn people back in holiday 2021 when PS5 was posting abysmal weeks due to stock it was premature to call it a failure in Japan. But nope they didn't listen even though it was obvious the terrible sales were due to limited stock. They just smelt blood and went for it.

At this rate, I'd be shocked if PS5 doesn't meet demand there very soon. The software just isn't compelling enough yet and the hardware is expensive and lacks portability. Nice to see Sony prioritize their homeland, hopefully they continue to until demand is met.

Seemingly another "sell through the whole stock" week for PS5.

Zippy6 said:

With this week PS5 sales in Japan are now ahead of both PS4 and PS3 launch aligned and YoY increase for PS5 is now 213% after 8 weeks.

Surprising that it would be tracking ahead of them considering the extreme supply constrain for several years.
It's definitely making up for lost time these past few weeks.

Will we find out the PSVR 2 sales next week? Interested to see how this does in Japan given the install base.

Around the Network

Very good hold for Hogwarts Legacy. I'm curious to see how much it can sell win PS4 and Switch

So in just 8 weeks the PS5 has already exceeded the week 26 total from last year. The question now is not if it'll hit two million this year since that's basically guaranteed at this point but instead just at what point between 2m and 3m it'll reach.

xMetroid said:
SKMBlake said:

I mean, 3 million in over 2 years isn't great. It was necessary it gains some boost anytime or else it would have been catastrophic. Let's see how this surge holds though. 

A consistent 30-40k would be a solid boost. It's doing significantly better than anyone would have expected last year and not just by Playstation 3/4 standards but by any console standards. But yes, lets see how long it can last before the baseline drops. Of course in the back of our minds, we all know that the other asian markets will artificially inflate demand for PS5 in Japan, but none the less there were people here really expecting PS5 to struggle past 4m

PS5