By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Machiavellian said:
TallSilhouette said:

Indictment #2 for Trump. Let's go for 3!

Out of all of the indictments, this is probably the worse one for Trump.  I always thought it was dumb when the special prosecutor was put on the case that in typical Trump fashion he attack this man and his family probably making it personal.  I know his lawyers were like damn man, we may need to negotiate with him do not make it hard.  The charges are huge because one they care jail time but worse, you cannot hold any public office if you are convicted.  I always thought this was the case that Trump should have been way more open to settle but in again typical Trump fashion is to double down which was never the smart move in this situation.  If any of the info we have heard concerning this case is true.  Its seems like he is going to burn for something that was truly his own damn stupid fault.

There's actually nothing in the Constitution that bars felons from becoming President, Senators, or Representatives. All of those offices specify only age and citizenship requirements. Only the Senate can bar people who otherwise meet citizenship and age requirements from holding office, and only after the person in question is convicted by the Senate in an impeachment trial. Even with a felony conviction, Trump could still be elected President. It would create an unprecedented political crisis, but a felony conviction in itself is not a disqualification. 

Charges do not legally bar Trump from running for President - New York Times

Last edited by SanAndreasX - on 09 June 2023

Around the Network
SanAndreasX said:
Machiavellian said:

Out of all of the indictments, this is probably the worse one for Trump.  I always thought it was dumb when the special prosecutor was put on the case that in typical Trump fashion he attack this man and his family probably making it personal.  I know his lawyers were like damn man, we may need to negotiate with him do not make it hard.  The charges are huge because one they care jail time but worse, you cannot hold any public office if you are convicted.  I always thought this was the case that Trump should have been way more open to settle but in again typical Trump fashion is to double down which was never the smart move in this situation.  If any of the info we have heard concerning this case is true.  Its seems like he is going to burn for something that was truly his own damn stupid fault.

There's actually nothing in the Constitution that bars felons from becoming President, Senators, or Representatives. All of those offices specify only age and citizenship requirements. Only the Senate can bar people who otherwise meet citizenship and age requirements from holding office, and only after the person in question is convicted by the Senate in an impeachment trial. Even with a felony conviction, Trump could still be elected President. It would create an unprecedented political crisis, but a felony conviction in itself is not a disqualification. 

Aren't there states that won't allow an application from a felon so while they can still try to get elected they would do so at a disadvantage?

EpicRandy said:
SanAndreasX said:

Aren't there states that won't allow an application from a felon so while they can still try to get elected they would do so at a disadvantage?

They can only exclude felons from state offices. They cannot override the provisions for federal offices like President or Congress, which are set by the United States Constitution. That can only be changed with a constitutional amendment.

An exception is U.S. Constitution, Amendment XIV, Section 3, which states that a person is disqualified from public office who has taken an oath to the Constitution and has engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the United States, or given aid or comfort to its enemies. Since the Senate acquitted Trump of inciting an insurrection following his second impeachment, the door has likely slammed shut on that provision. 

Last edited by SanAndreasX - on 09 June 2023

SanAndreasX said:
Machiavellian said:

If Trump were to be incarcerated, which is almost 0, I'd image he could still win the presidency?  While in most states, those in prison are not allowed to vote, and in most conservative states they can't get their voting rights back until they are done with probation, and in some states its even harder to regain their voting rights.

TallSilhouette said:

One high profile arrest deserves another. Galactic Emperor George Santos arrested on 13 federal charges. Of course you can't shame the shameless and he still won't resign. I wonder how much longer a bunch of the GOP will hold out in refusing to condemn him or kick him out, though.

This is something that baffles me about the US political system: convicts, in many states even former ones, are banned from voting, but at the same they could be voted into any office including the presidency.

In most other democratic countries, it's the other way around: convicts are allowed to vote, but persons with a criminal record cannot be elected into offices, and if they get caught breaking the law they're pretty much forced to resign unless they want to break yet another law.

Around the Network

Saudi's crown prince promised pain for the US if it retaliated against oil cuts, report says. His threat seems to have paid off.

US Secretary of State Anthony Blinken and Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman presented an image of unity and friendship this week at a summit in Riyadh.

The pair at the meeting "affirmed their shared commitment to advance stability, security, and prosperity across the Middle East and beyond," a State Department spokesman told CNN. 

But only months earlier, according to leaked Pentagon papers obtained by The Washington Post, the autocratic Saudi was taking a very different, and more menacing, tone amid an escalating oil dispute with the US. 

The dispute flared up last October when the Saudis reduced oil production in tandem with Russia, the US chief global adversary, souring relations between Riyadh and its decades-old allies in Washington, D.C.

The move infuriated President Joe Biden, who promised the Saudis there'd be "consequences" amid fears it'd spike domestic inflation and damage his prospects in the US midterm elections. 

The crown prince's response, according to the documents, was to threaten the US with the prospect of economic calamity. That threat appears to have paid off. 

Months after the dispute, Biden's promised "consequences" have yet to materialise. Instead he has sent a series of top White House officials, with Blinken the latest, to court the crown prince in Riyadh as the Saudis draw closer to China, another US global rival. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/saudi-mohammed-bin-salmans-biden-threat-appears-pay-off-oil-2023-6?r=US&IR=T

I am increasingly concerned about this new founded bravery of the gulf states, which is all rooted in China becoming a superpower and the shifting alliances that have ensued since then (to those who have downplayed China as a threat for years, I hope you have come to your senses now). 

On the other hand, we have western countries divided internally and externally and couldn't even pretend to show unity when the Ukraine invasion started, which is really just the beginning of a series of incoming assaults by the autocracies we empowered. 

When it comes to internal divisions, I believe a lot of it t in Western Europe (or at least in the UK) is manufactured by the media, during the tories latest 13 year long failurful venture, public services has introduced gender neutral language (including the NHS), public schools have introduced LGBT and diversity education around the country despite the religious nuts constant protest, abortion is non-issue, green energy investments are in abundance, etc. Obviously, there is a lot to work, especially for trans rights, and we'll probably never agree on how to handle immigration (I don't believe this is right vs left issue, neither was Brexit), we're simply not the USA. This is relevant, because the USA political sphere is too toxic to ignore. Seeing the American right wing campaign to boycott retailers that celebrate pride month is incredibly dumb and outrageously successful, much effort put into spreading hate against literally your neighbours. Boycotting Walmart but living in a house filled with stuff you bought from China? you're real tough, man. Fucking idiots 

It's not about being anti-China, it's about recognising real threats, our biggest ally isn't as strong as they used to be, our adversaries have become more powerful and we're yet to see their entire jaw. Much coverage over whose dick goes where and nothing about the fact that we're failing nations who can't withstand another Ukraine-like blow or being bullied by the Saudis, of all people. I don't know where I am going with this tbh, I guess I am frustrated up catching up on last week news reading stories about how successful anti-LGBT movement has become again, followed by Saudis dictating foreign policies and aligning themselves with Russia/China, managing to to put their differences with Erdogan behind and going further to send him cash to relieve Turkey's economic pain (caused by no one but Erdogan himself). Yet, our biggest ally is still going on and on about what should be non-issues like abortion and basic human rights. Fucking idiots.

Macron is the dumbest leader France has had in recent years, but he's right in that Europe should take charge in protecting its interests (although his vision and what he means by this actually is comically disastrous). 

SanAndreasX said:
Machiavellian said:

We are going to have to see how this all plays out but this is what I read a while ago about this specific document case.  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11093827/Clinton-linked-lawyer-says-Trump-BANNED-holding-public-office.html

Jack's first interview since selling Twitter. Not sure if relevant here, but a huge fan of the channel (breaking points) and happy they secured this interview. 

Couldn't have said it better myself, Donald.

TallSilhouette said:

Couldn't have said it better myself, Donald.

The funny part this video is that my brother and I was talking about this exact same thing.  The fact that Trump made this statement and they are there clapping, standing up and feeling empowered as he make a statement that says, I can talk about something that directly affect your lives and you barely care.  I talk about a subject that you may never experience or come across and you give me a standing ovation.

Funny enough there was another article I read that talks about how the GOP very much is happy that their constituents never actually read anything.  What they mean by that is like the indictment against Trump for the classified documents.  Even before it was released to the public, GOP was talking about how political the indictment was before they ever read what it was about.  Even now the majority of Republicans have not read it which is why GOP feel they can say pretty much anything because their constituents will never actually read the indictment and know just how damaging it is.  This is not just Trump hold on to some documents or even on the same level as Biden having some documents in his garage.  Its him actively trying to keep those documents when he was giving ample opportunity to turn them over.