By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

So the CNN Town Hall was predictably disastrous:

What disturbs me most is the crowd laughing and cheering at Trump proudly being as awful a human being as he can. These people are fundamentally broken inside and I can only hope their number isn't growing. I fear for the country if they are.

Around the Network

Sharing this image for context. I think it's fairly harmless meme, maybe I'm too exhausted to recognize otherwise.

It's so fascinating to me how often right wingers will espouse left wing views, while doing the opposite.

Republicans who deregulate big business and the media, while lowering their taxes; sure are opposed to big business

Republicans who are all for funding the heck out of the military, police and prisons; checking people's pants for the right genitals; sure are opposed to big government.

the-pi-guy said:

Sharing this image for context. I think it's fairly harmless meme, maybe I'm too exhausted to recognize otherwise.

It's so fascinating to me how often right wingers will espouse left wing views, while doing the opposite.

Republicans who deregulate big business and the media, while lowering their taxes; sure are opposed to big business

Republicans who are all for funding the heck out of the military, police and prisons; checking people's pants for the right genitals; sure are opposed to big government.

That is because memes are mostly used for misinformation than anything else.  I use to have these conversations with a friend of mine who use to post memes concerning political subjects all the time and I asked her if she ever check if the meme was actually true.  Of course she did not which I then had to send her to the topic at hand to actually understand the subject she was reposting.  Memes are a nice tool that can be for fun but mostly it can be a tool for misinformation as people just repost them because they align with how they think.

Machiavellian said:

That is because memes are mostly used for misinformation than anything else.  I use to have these conversations with a friend of mine who use to post memes concerning political subjects all the time and I asked her if she ever check if the meme was actually true.  Of course she did not which I then had to send her to the topic at hand to actually understand the subject she was reposting.  Memes are a nice tool that can be for fun but mostly it can be a tool for misinformation as people just repost them because they align with how they think.

That's one of my gripes about modern political discourse. The wrong but simple answer is a lot easier to convey and share in meme form or just in general than the complicated, right answer. So a lot of stupid shit gets shared a lot easier and a lot faster than smart shit. 

"Gender is weird" Is a lot easier to convey in a single image than "Gender is complicated based on a litany of factors from a spectrum of sources, such as cultural, biological,...." etc. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Machiavellian said:
the-pi-guy said:

Most political memes are probably from marketing majors.  Understanding how people process data is classic marketing tactics and manipulation.  If you want to get something to millions of people just play to their bias and it will trend like crazy.  Social Media is a marketing person dream, especially in the political climate.

Last edited by Machiavellian - on 15 May 2023

Around the Network
Machiavellian said:

The point isn't really the meme itself. It's just an example.

There are at least a few Republican talking points, that they very clearly don't believe. 

Like small government, while funding the heck out of the military and the police.

Like freedom, while insisting that we should be tougher on crime.

Just the general hypocrisy and double standards, is consistently fascinating to me. 

Machiavellian said:

Most political memes are probably from marketing majors.  Understanding how people process data is classic marketing tactics and manipulation.  If you want to get something to missions of people just play to their bias and it will trend like crazy.  Social Media is a marketing person dream, especially in the political climate.

I feel like this is putting too much credit on these things. A lot of memes are just things people believe anyways. 

I would like to report a mass murderer in the capital. His name is Joe Flood.

Beware the savage on his red bicycle.

the-pi-guy said:

This last one baffles me the most. They hate the government while uncritically worshipping the parts of the government whose job it is to kill or imprison people who don't do what the government tells them to do. They're just as quick to turn on those same institutions when they discover that their worship doesn't make them magically immune to bullets or handcuffs (see: Ashli Babbit). Some people seem to want to live under a Pinochet-style military dictatorship.

TallSilhouette said:

I would like to report a mass murderer in the capital. His name is Joe Flood.

Beware the savage on his red bicycle.

The definition of raining on someone's parade (for all the right reasons). Hats off.