By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PSVR2: Are you getting it?

Are you planning to get a PSVR2?

Yes, Day 1 92 9.19%

Yes, but down the road 172 17.18%

Maybe 67 6.69%

No, they are too expensive 132 13.19%

No, VR doesn't interest me 288 28.77%

No, I haven't even gotten a PS5 yet 250 24.98%

Total:1,001

VR is just basically the Wii. Some novel ideas but there are only so much you can do with it in game design for the player. If it's just a 3D platformer then it's not VR, it's just 3D and that has always been a useless gimmick. If it's FP well then we have seen how limited VR is in general. It's good for certain types of stuff but that's it and it's just not that convenient. The same reason 3D TV's never fully take off. The simple idea of just sitting down without set up to watch/play of something to wear. A person blind in one eye can play a reg game still but eye tracking games a lot don't track just one eye. More hurdles in the way for VR than just regular TV gaming.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
JackHandy said:

Interesting. Why do you think it's potential is so limited? Because you have to wear it on your face/body?

The reason I think it's going to take over is because when it comes to conventional games, I don't see anywhere for it to go. I've been gaming since I was pre-kindergarten, which was like Atari-2600. And during that time, I've seen some pretty exciting things happen. But ever since Xbox 2 (360), that excitement has taken a sharp downward slope. Now, I don't see anything even getting within ear-shot of say, the first time we all played Pong, or Mario in 3D, or traversed through level 1-1 in Super Mario Bros. Yes, the games are still great. They look and sound better than ever. They are literally technical marvels... but nothing industry-changing. It's all very much the same thing we've been doing since PS2. And while the sales are good, how long will that continue? Will it continue? I don't think it will without something brand new to shake things up... and sitting in front of a TV and pushing buttons while shooting things, or jumping from platform to platform isn't going to do that, no matter how great the games are. There's going to have to be a paradigm shift for that to happen, and out of all the tech we know of, only AR and VR can pull it off.

But I could be wrong. This is just my opinion. 

I feel the same. PSVR made me feel young again, like I was back in '98, the golden age of gaming. I started gaming in '84 on MSX and the journey from there to and including the ps2 was amazing. Then it all slowed down to refining what was already there.

Eye Toy, gimmick. Well it sorta worked some of the time. Playstation Eye was a bit better, Kung Fu Live was actually quite a nice exercise game. I just played one of the endless stages over and over, actually finishing the game was quite problematic with the tracking. Yet as an alternative to DDR, another option to warm up.

The Wii was a gimmick, once you figured out a slight wrist movement was all it needed the illusion was lost, waggle controls, could hardly call them motion controls. But some things were still a lot of fun, Shaun White Snowboarding on the balance board was great.

PS Move was a better gimmick, sword duels and ping pong were very accurate and quite fun. But it was still hard to judge where the move actually was in 3D space on the screen.

Kinect, same thing. Mostly good for dance games :/ The lag didn't help either, yet mostly trying to figure out where your hands had to be to match what was on screen.

3D TV, doesn't work for me. No parallax when moving your head removes 50% of depth perception. After a while my brain doesn't fall for stereoscopic 3D anymore and it mostly looks flat to me. (Until they buzz something right in your face again which hurts my eyes doh) 3D movies in PSVR didn't work all that well for me either, totally different from VR games and experiences. Actually I already played with shutter glasses in the 90s on a projector. Descent 2 in 3D on the wall, extending out. Much easier to dodge bullets (they are quite slow moving in Descent) yet after a while the effect faded and it didn't look all that much different from playing without. I need that parallax to keep the illusion going :/ I only used the shutter glasses for a month despite having plenty to play on them. It just didn't add much and the lessening effect didn't weigh up to having to lower resolution for stereoscopic rendering.

Yet VR games, wow! Just being able to look closer or around things is game changing. You really feel like you're in the world. Characters feel real while standing next to you. Then all the new opportunities, control by turning your head (Eagle flight) or now just by looking (eye tracking targeting for Rez Infinite on PSVR2). No longer having to keep your hands together on a controller, 2 hands instead of only one to use in games! Dual wielding in Skyrim, that is a game changer. Fight 2 different enemies at different angles at the same time, can't do that with traditional games.

Platforming, I can see where I'm going to land! Racing / flying, I can look where I want to go! Plus my peripheral vision alerts me of other cars / planes being beside me, or tell me the closing rate to the wall / edge of the track. My lap times improved quickly in GT Sport in VR. 'Driving on the edge' is so much easier in VR. Sitting in the submarine in No Man's Sky, totally different from watching it on a screen and so much easier to navigate in VR. I get lost far less in VR compared to pancake games. Mental mapping in 3D is much more natural.

Next all the new possibilities for interaction. Fantastic contraption was amazing despite PS move not really being up to the task. Physics based interaction will be a lot better with the new controllers. Maybe VR will finally put the focus back on game play interaction instead of more pixels to gawk at. Plus controls have become far too complex for my liking. The amount of finger gymnastics required for God of War makes my hands hurt. I'm skipping the beserker stones now cause those long fights are painful with all the button combos. Speaking of which, I still need to finish that before PSVR2 shows up :)

Reviews are in and it's looking good!

Leynos said:

Eh no. VR has been around since the 80s. VR isn't a format. VR will always be niche from price to wearing equipment and it's more limited than regular gaming. It will be an option but never the main focus as long as those other factors remain.

Eh, there will likely be a time in the current decade when "wearing equipment" means wearing something about as heavy as swimming goggles. Games could be played wirelessly without much loss with Wifi 7 coming next year, supporting up to 46,120 mbits per second. Hell even now many people like playing over Air Link despite the image quality loss. And the hardware itself to slim down headsets has already been invented, just a matter of economies of scales, and a few generations of advancement doing its thing. 

By the end of this decade I wouldn't be surprised if VR headsets are about as cumbersome as an NReal Air.

And with more sales, price can come down via the economies of complementary goods

Unlike the various gaps between the 80's and 10's where nobody was working much in this space, the current market is highly competitive and likely will be for the foreseeable future. 

Leynos said:

Eh no. VR has been around since the 80s. VR isn't a format. VR will always be niche from price to wearing equipment and it's more limited than regular gaming. It will be an option but never the main focus as long as those other factors remain.

Not sure why the year matters. 

Cell phones existed for decades, even commercially before becoming good enough to be almost a necessity for modern life. 

Early VR headsets were absolutely terrible. Frankly even the PSVR1 is not good enough to be usable for most people, even if it's a great experience for some people. PSVR2 is good enough to be usable for a lot more people, but I would guess it's still a generation or two from being good enough that most people would even want to use it. 

Leynos said:

VR is just basically the Wii. Some novel ideas but there are only so much you can do with it in game design for the player. If it's just a 3D platformer then it's not VR, it's just 3D and that has always been a useless gimmick. If it's FP well then we have seen how limited VR is in general. It's good for certain types of stuff but that's it and it's just not that convenient. The same reason 3D TV's never fully take off. The simple idea of just sitting down without set up to watch/play of something to wear. A person blind in one eye can play a reg game still but eye tracking games a lot don't track just one eye. More hurdles in the way for VR than just regular TV gaming.

There are some non-inherent limitations for game design for VR. Limitations that exist based on the person, not because of the hardware. (Certain things cause people motion sickness.)

Hardware wise, you can do everything in VR that you can do in regular games and do a lot more.  It adds a lot more options for interactions. It adds a lot more for immersion.

And eventually you'll be able to do even more with VR with better eye tracking and even potentially brain computer interfacing. 

VR will eventually be convenient. Eye tracking can still be improved to work with one eye, etc. There are a billion different ways for VR to improve. With smaller headsets, higher resolution, face tracking, body tracking software. A lot of ways to make the experience more immersive, and more convenient, and just generally all around better. That's exciting. 

I never understand why people make the comparison to 3D TV. 3D is pretty boring to me. VR has been a dream of mine forever. 

Last edited by the-pi-guy - on 17 February 2023

Around the Network
Leynos said:

Besides I don't have the standing room these things want. When VR is as easy as putting on glasses and I can play fully sitting down and it's cheap then I will.

For most VR games it is as easy as putting on glasses and then playing fully sitting down.

Only a few titles need you to stand, even less to walk around in a roomscale area.

Captain_Yuri said:

...not to mention VR being generally expensive...

It's pocket change compared to your PC setup.

SvennoJ said:

2. You don't need to use the earbuds or headphones, you can simply use your tv sound or surround system. That way you're less isolated than playing with headphones on (without a headset). You can carry on conversations with family members no problem.

I really hope, there will be attachable clip-on speakers for the PSVR2 headset similar to the ear speakers of the Vave Index / HP Reverb G2

So clip them on each side of the PSVR2 headset and connect the cables with the headphone jack of the PSVR2 headset. 

Conina said:
SvennoJ said:

2. You don't need to use the earbuds or headphones, you can simply use your tv sound or surround system. That way you're less isolated than playing with headphones on (without a headset). You can carry on conversations with family members no problem.

I really hope, there will be attachable clip-on speakers for the PSVR2 headset similar to the ear speakers of the Vave Index / HP Reverb G2

So clip them on each side of the PSVR2 headset and connect the cables with the headphone jack of the PSVR2 headset. 

I believe the PSVR1 has some third party options for this. So I'm sure the same will be true here. 

This will be my #1 priority if/when I get one. Much more important to me than wireless headsets. I hate earbuds. 

Last edited by the-pi-guy - on 17 February 2023

Leynos said:

If it's just a 3D platformer then it's not VR, it's just 3D and that has always been a useless gimmick.

Why are platformers like Astrobot: Rescue Mission or Trover Saves the Universe or Eye of the Temple or Carly and the Reaperman "not VR"?

Leynos said:

A person blind in one eye can play a reg game still but eye tracking games a lot don't track just one eye.

Most VR games don't depend on eye tracking, they also work without stereoscopic sight.

And how big is the percentage of one-eyed gamers? A strawman argument per excellence!