By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PSVR2: Are you getting it?

Are you planning to get a PSVR2?

Yes, Day 1 92 9.19%

Yes, but down the road 172 17.18%

Maybe 67 6.69%

No, they are too expensive 132 13.19%

No, VR doesn't interest me 288 28.77%

No, I haven't even gotten a PS5 yet 250 24.98%

Total:1,001
CosmicSex said:
JWeinCom said:

Eh, not sure if it was intended that way, but this comes off as very condescending and presumptuous.

If McDonalds was charging 10 bucks for a 4 piece McNuggets, I wouldn't buy them. That doesn't mean I don't have 10 dollars to spare, just that I don't think 10 dollars is a good value for 4 McNuggets. Likewise, the fact that I won't be spending 550 for PSVR2 doesn't necessarily mean that I couldn't. How much disposable income I actually have is something that you don't know and isn't any of your business anyway, so you probably shouldn't be commenting about that. ^_^

No I didn't mean to be condescending and I apologize if it came off that way.  No I really believe that you yourself set the rules on what you can afford and what you can't.  Having tried the VR2 I can say that it is worth the money because the experience that it provides is suitably premium.  Trust me when I say it's not something that can ever be conveyed through a flat screen video.  Playing RE8 is not the same.  It is better, it is scarier and you cant get flat games to invoke that kinda response. GT7 is a revelation. I had no idea.  There is no way I would have known.  Even Pavlov and Star Wars are absolutely incredible.  

So while you have the right to not be interested, it is just wrong to say it's only  worth $200.  I can say that confidently because the tech inside is what makes it possible  And when you hopeful have the chance to experience it I think you will automatically be converted.  But I thought you were saying that you didn't have the money which is more than understandable.  These are luxury items.  They don't come before other stuff and they aren't necessary at all.  

Apologies for the confusion and rock on!

Nah, wasn't saying anything about what I could afford. But misunderstandings happen, no biggie. Although I have to point out, I didn't say it's only worth $200, I said $200 is as high as I'd go. Different people value things differently. If anyone else thinks it's worth the asking price, then I hope they enjoy it. 

My experience with VR, aside from the now long gone Disney Quest which had really cool VR stuff, is basically limited to playing around with an Oculus Rift for a little while. It was neat, and at one point I almost tripped because it felt natural to lean forward in the game, which was a bad idea. 

It's possible if I played better games on it (the ones I tried were more tech demos than anything) I would change my mind... but that's kind of the problem with this technology. If you need to try it to understand the value, and you need to pay a lot to try it, that's a bit of a problem. And, even though I have been able to try some VR stuff, I haven't really been able to try it with the kind of games I like, or see whether it would actually be comfortable for extended periods of time. So all I could do is make an educated guess, and as of now I just don't think it will give me as much enjoyment as the other things I could potentially spend that money on. 

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:

Nah, wasn't saying anything about what I could afford. But misunderstandings happen, no biggie. Although I have to point out, I didn't say it's only worth $200, I said $200 is as high as I'd go. Different people value things differently. If anyone else thinks it's worth the asking price, then I hope they enjoy it. 

My experience with VR, aside from the now long gone Disney Quest which had really cool VR stuff, is basically limited to playing around with an Oculus Rift for a little while. It was neat, and at one point I almost tripped because it felt natural to lean forward in the game, which was a bad idea. 

It's possible if I played better games on it (the ones I tried were more tech demos than anything) I would change my mind... but that's kind of the problem with this technology. If you need to try it to understand the value, and you need to pay a lot to try it, that's a bit of a problem. And, even though I have been able to try some VR stuff, I haven't really been able to try it with the kind of games I like, or see whether it would actually be comfortable for extended periods of time. So all I could do is make an educated guess, and as of now I just don't think it will give me as much enjoyment as the other things I could potentially spend that money on. 

That's the big hurdle VR faces. And the only way to know whether it will be comfortable for you over extended periods of time is to play it over extended periods of time. And to do that, you first need to get your VR legs in shorter sessions. Unless you're one of the fortunate ones that are immune to all motion sickness.

All I can add is, I was completely off horror games (just boring and slow to me) before VR, now I can't get enough of them. Same for other genres that feel fresh and fun again. I'll gladly take the slight discomfort for being excited about gaming again.

But easy for me to say, I ran out of other things to spend my entertainment money on. Already got all consoles, current HDR 4K tv is more than good enough and NVidea can sod off with their pricing. I'll stick with my 1060 which is still perfectly fine at 1080p. Not that I feel like playing anything on TV / monitor when there's VR stuff to play :)

SvennoJ said:
JWeinCom said:

That's the big hurdle VR faces. And the only way to know whether it will be comfortable for you over extended periods of time is to play it over extended periods of time. And to do that, you first need to get your VR legs in shorter sessions. Unless you're one of the fortunate ones that are immune to all motion sickness.

All I can add is, I was completely off horror games (just boring and slow to me) before VR, now I can't get enough of them. Same for other genres that feel fresh and fun again. I'll gladly take the slight discomfort for being excited about gaming again.

But easy for me to say, I ran out of other things to spend my entertainment money on. Already got all consoles, current HDR 4K tv is more than good enough and NVidea can sod off with their pricing. I'll stick with my 1060 which is still perfectly fine at 1080p. Not that I feel like playing anything on TV / monitor when there's VR stuff to play :)

I've never had issues with motion sickness with VR, 3DS, or whatever, so that's really not a concern. It's more a matter of comfort, and if I'll wind up using it. The games I'm into are generally not what's on VR atm. I'm a little tempted by RE4, but still not enough. Maybe if Spiderman 2 has a good VR mode that would make me dive in. I also mainly play Nintendo stuff, and that's obviously not going to be on PSVR.

As for money, if I had like 700 bucks I just *had* to spend on gaming, I'd probably get some sort of VR set. But, it also has to compete with things like vacations, nice meals, supporting charities, concerts or shows, and so on.

JWeinCom said:

I've never had issues with motion sickness with VR, 3DS, or whatever, so that's really not a concern. It's more a matter of comfort, and if I'll wind up using it. The games I'm into are generally not what's on VR atm. I'm a little tempted by RE4, but still not enough. Maybe if Spiderman 2 has a good VR mode that would make me dive in. I also mainly play Nintendo stuff, and that's obviously not going to be on PSVR.

As for money, if I had like 700 bucks I just *had* to spend on gaming, I'd probably get some sort of VR set. But, it also has to compete with things like vacations, nice meals, supporting charities, concerts or shows, and so on.

Windlands was awesome, but did leave me wanting to play Spiderman in VR.
How I wish TotK would have VR. 3D Mario games in VR would be amazing, Mario Galaxy, drool. Always good to have more to look forward too :)

Since my wife is very vulnerable to the still ongoing pandemic while dealing with enough ongoing health issues already, most of those other 'expenses' are out. It sucks, but I'm glad there are other things to keep us entertained.

I'm just taking a break from Pistol Whip. Been playing it for 2 hours, still doesn't feel like a rhythm game. It's cool and a nice way to keep active, but it's not producing that itch like Beat Saber does, not as fun as Superhot in VR. Maybe I'm too old for the music in the game as I don't recognize any of it lol.

My housemate got it today. It's fun, but in my opinion vr still feels like a gimmick and just is not worth the price.

Around the Network
pikashoe said:

My housemate got it today. It's fun, but in my opinion vr still feels like a gimmick and just is not worth the price.

It's the opposite of a gimmick. A gimmick is a trick to attract attention, for that you need to be able to show what it's like, which is impossible without trying it and even then first experiences are often disorienting and off putting.

Wii waggle was a gimmick, hugely popular one. Same as Kinect. Both came, attracted a lot of attention, then put to pasture. VR has been around since the 90s, has been featured in movies and currently has over 16 million headsets in use around the world.

https://www.zippia.com/advice/virtual-reality-statistics/

But indeed:
The top barrier to VR adoption is that it’s too expensive, with 55% of survey respondents listing this as their hesitation.

If it was a gimmick, how come there are so many different headsets already
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_virtual_reality_headsets