By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PSVR2: Are you getting it?

Are you planning to get a PSVR2?

Yes, Day 1 92 9.19%

Yes, but down the road 172 17.18%

Maybe 67 6.69%

No, they are too expensive 132 13.19%

No, VR doesn't interest me 288 28.77%

No, I haven't even gotten a PS5 yet 250 24.98%

Total:1,001
Dante9 said:

It's definitely getting better with each iteration, with less cords and hassle. But I want to game sitting on my couch and I'd have to get fully fletched games, not some VR versions with their inherent limitations. Also, there's the problem of getting sea sick, I don't know how sensitive I would be to that, but it seems to be an issue with VR in general.

I think the motion sickness things isn't as big a deal as it is made out to be.  First of all, a lot of work has been put into reducing that problem.  And, maybe more importantly, it seems that people get used to VR and it becomes less of an issue the more you use it.  So, I wouldn't let that stop you.

It definitely is still a pain in the butt, having to clear out floor space, play standing up or seated in a swivel chair, then try to avoid getting wrapped up in cables.  IMO, the cables are the biggest issue.  I liked the original Gear VR several years ago.  I found Rift and PSVR to be overall inferior to even that early cell phone VR because of the cable.  That really just ruins the whole experience.  It is very much not immersive when you have to stop and unwrap yourself, or pay close attention to where your cable is while playing. 

I also have a Quest 2, which is pretty nice.  But, it is lacking in killer apps.  There just isn't any VR game that makes me want to sit there with a headset on and play for hours. I think VR is still more of a novelty.  It is definitely cool, but once the cool factor wears off, most VR headsets seem to collect dust.  

I don't see myself purchasing another headset anytime soon.  And, when I do buy one, it is unlikely that it'll be tethered to a console or PC. My mind could change if some great games come to PSVR2 though.  

Around the Network

I sold my PS5 last year so I need to buy another one before buying a PSVR2.

But I'm def really into it.

Yes. I want to play RE Village in VR, so will be getting the headset.

I already have a Meta Quest 2 and HP Reverb G2, both of which I love.

I see VR and VR2 as the CD-rom of the early 90's. Back then, CD was the future and everyone saw it, but it wasn't quite ready for prime time. VR is sort of like that. It's definitely great tech, but it's still not to where it needs to be in order for it to take over the globe. Too many health problems involved for one thing (migraines, eye strain, nausea etc.), and there hasn't been a defining game yet like say, Pong or Super Mario Bros. These two things need to be ironed out first before it takes over.

WoodenPints said:

I find it completely different with a VR set on your head your shutting yourself off from everything I just want to sit back and chill without a headset on because I generally find them uncomfortable I also want to be alert to my surroundings interact with family members, I'm sure some people love it for the reasons I don't but VR isn't for me.

Indeed you can and some people who work on a computer screen 8+ hours a day are probably of that opinion, You can really insert anything in that statement because that's the joy of opinions it's based on what you want.

But you can dislike/hate something without making reductive takes. 

Around the Network

Still so much disinformation about VR...

1. You don't need extra space, most VR games can be played sitting down on a couch.
If you can turn your head and move your arms, you have enough room for 90% of the games on offer.

2. You don't need to use the earbuds or headphones, you can simply use your tv sound or surround system. That way you're less isolated than playing with headphones on (without a headset). You can carry on conversations with family members no problem.

3. Setup issues are solved, no more need for extra camera(s) or breakout box, no need to clear space.

4. Motion sickness can and probably will happen, yet your mind adapts and catches on to the disparity between your inner ear and what you see. It's the same as getting used to a mouse for aiming when having always used a controller or vice versa. It takes a while to get that brain eye coordination in sync. Important to remember at first is to always look in the direction of (intended) movement. Motion sickness triggers much faster if you look one way in VR while you move in a different direction. But it does take time to get used to starting/stopping/turning. Same as it takes time to get used to changing your mouse pointer speed for example. Setting turn rate to fastest available or using snap turn helps.

5. Eye strain and migraines, it's all relative. 4K HDR can give me migraines and bad eye strain, VR never has so far. Polybius in VR (very intense experience, comes with extended epilepsy warning and all) I never had issues playing that game for long durations. Horizon FW in 4K HDR gave me a migraine within 30 minutes. Same thing the next day. I played that game in 1080p SDR instead.

Nah, I tried PSVR before a few times and tbh I just see it as a gimmick thats more like a short lived novelty than an actual game console I could see playing consistently. When I played it a couple of times I thought the immersion of being in the game was cool but I as I played more I just didn't like playing games in VR all that much.

The controls of many games in VR don't ever feel natural and easy enough to play it in a more hard-core setting since many games require motion controls heavily which is bound to have issues and always feel uncomfortable to use instead of actual buttons, I dont like how in many games you gotta move your head around all over the place to change angles which feels uncomfortable especially with a whole VR headset strapped to your head. When I used PSVR I also remembered the headset feeling really uncomfortable after a while since you need to hold your head up at a certain position all the time and it would sometimes hurt my eye sockets, along with feeling sweaty around the eyes thanks to the VR. 

Honestly, I prefer VR as a visual experience more than a gaming experience, VR gaming experiences just feel too difficult to control and feels uncomfortable using it for prolonged periods, and its definitely not worth the price for me. 

6. Many games don't require motion controls. RE7, Skyrim, Borderlands 2, Wipeout and all other racing games, flying games, No Man's sky can be fully played with a normal controller. Even Astrobot and Moss are mostly regular controls. However being able to use you hands naturally opens up tons of new possibilities. While Skyrim worked perfectly fine on a DS4 in VR, with move controllers you could do so much more!

7. You don't need to move your head around but being able to look at things from a different angle is a huge plus point of VR. However if you have a broken neck, you can simply stare ahead and use the regular fps controls in plenty games.

8, There is a reset position button, one click and it's perfectly centered again for where your head is at. You don't need to hold your head in a certain position to play.

I think the main problem with VR is, you need to set it up right and have time to get comfortable with it. Having the IPD set wrong for your eyes for example will diminish the experience a lot already. Otherwise it's like getting dropped into the middle of a Souls game for 15 minutes and then wondering what the fuss is all about. That's the main hurdle VR faces. It doesn't show in ads and demonstrations are not a good way to get a feel for it. Meanwhile the price is way too high to go try it :/

What is a very valid problem, pretty hard to have a drink or snack with a VR helmet on! But I see PSVR2 has a see through mode.

https://www.videogamer.com/tech/vr/what-is-psvr-2-see-through-mode-and-how-does-it-work/

See-through mode uses the cameras on the outside of the PSVR 2 to generate an image of your surroundings, place you in it, and then highlights areas of your surroundings.

Switching between see-through mode is as easy as pressing a button on the headset or through the quick-settings menu via software.

That solves the problem of locating your drink and snacks without taking the headset off. It's still gonna be hard to take a sip with the helmet possibly blocking, yet straws are there when in need :)

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 15 February 2023

JackHandy said:

I see VR and VR2 as the CD-rom of the early 90's. Back then, CD was the future and everyone saw it, but it wasn't quite ready for prime time. VR is sort of like that. It's definitely great tech, but it's still not to where it needs to be in order for it to take over the globe. Too many health problems involved for one thing (migraines, eye strain, nausea etc.), and there hasn't been a defining game yet like say, Pong or Super Mario Bros. These two things need to be ironed out first before it takes over.

Eh no. VR has been around since the 80s. VR isn't a format. VR will always be niche from price to wearing equipment and it's more limited than regular gaming. It will be an option but never the main focus as long as those other factors remain.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
JackHandy said:

Eh no. VR has been around since the 80s. VR isn't a format. VR will always be niche from price to wearing equipment and it's more limited than regular gaming. It will be an option but never the main focus as long as those other factors remain.

Interesting. Why do you think it's potential is so limited? Because you have to wear it on your face/body?

The reason I think it's going to take over is because when it comes to conventional games, I don't see anywhere for it to go. I've been gaming since I was pre-kindergarten, which was like Atari-2600. And during that time, I've seen some pretty exciting things happen. But ever since Xbox 2 (360), that excitement has taken a sharp downward slope. Now, I don't see anything even getting within ear-shot of say, the first time we all played Pong, or Mario in 3D, or traversed through level 1-1 in Super Mario Bros. Yes, the games are still great. They look and sound better than ever. They are literally technical marvels... but nothing industry-changing. It's all very much the same thing we've been doing since PS2. And while the sales are good, how long will that continue? Will it continue? I don't think it will without something brand new to shake things up... and sitting in front of a TV and pushing buttons while shooting things, or jumping from platform to platform isn't going to do that, no matter how great the games are. There's going to have to be a paradigm shift for that to happen, and out of all the tech we know of, only AR and VR can pull it off.

But I could be wrong. This is just my opinion.