By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PSVR2: Are you getting it?

Are you planning to get a PSVR2?

Yes, Day 1 92 9.19%

Yes, but down the road 172 17.18%

Maybe 67 6.69%

No, they are too expensive 132 13.19%

No, VR doesn't interest me 288 28.77%

No, I haven't even gotten a PS5 yet 250 24.98%

Total:1,001
the-pi-guy said:

I hate earbuds. 

Yeah, me too.

Around the Network

VR is 100% the future. In addition to immersion, it allows for a number of subtle and largely instinctive controlling inputs that are game changing, and should theoretically turn what I consider gimmicks to meaningful elements (vibration and motion controls for instance, excluding gyro aiming which is more than a gimmick even on flat screen). IMO The last broadly appliable hardware innovation that truly was amazing is dual analog. Since then, nothing comes close to the excitement modern VR headsets bring (again... in theory. I never tried VR but I understand the concept and can visualize the experience).

It has its obvious limitations and is not going to ever "replace" traditional gaming, but it will make the medium a whole lot more diverse and exciting. Like a racing wheel (I just bought one and holy shit... GT7 is INCREDIBLE!) but appliable to a wider range of games (and can stack with racing wheel! GT7 went from plain ass saiyan to SS2 and soon to SS3).

Kyuu said:

VR is 100% the future. In addition to immersion, it allows for a number of subtle and largely instinctive controlling inputs that are game changing, and should theoretically turn what I consider gimmicks to meaningful elements (vibration and motion controls for instance, excluding gyro aiming which is more than a gimmick even on flat screen). IMO The last broadly appliable hardware innovation that truly was amazing is dual analog. Since then, nothing comes close to the excitement modern VR headsets bring (again... in theory. I never tried VR but I understand the concept and can visualize the experience).

It has its obvious limitations and is not going to ever "replace" traditional gaming, but it will make the medium a whole lot more diverse and exciting. Like a racing wheel (I just bought one and holy shit... GT7 is INCREDIBLE!) but appliable to a wider range of games (and can stack with racing wheel! GT7 went from plain ass saiyan to SS2 and soon to SS3).

About the bolded, it will eventually. Long down the line though when contact lenses are all that's required for AR/VR and brain interfaces become the main input. We're not going to carry cell phones around forever, in eye pip is the future.

https://www.roadtovr.com/mojo-vision-smart-contact-lens-ar-hands-on/
https://rossdawson.com/futurist/companies-creating-future/leading-brain-computer-interface-companies-bci/

And what is traditional gaming anyway? You obviously mean the current controller + screen setup (or all in one touch screen) but I grew with board games and AD&D, that's traditional gaming for me ;)

Every new form has its limitations. I had to relearn aiming when fps moved to consoles, after having to relearn aiming when the mouse replaced aswd aiming. I had to relearn steering when analog sticks came back after joy sticks fell out of fashion for a while.

Fact is VR combines plus points from KB+mouse, dual analog, and touch screen. Superior aiming like a mouse either by pointing or now simply by looking at something. Analog sticks to move or simply walk over to where you want to be. And easy interaction with virtual menus in 3D space.

The 'limitations' just seem to come to: don't want to wear anything on my head, feel isolated, motion sickness, games don't look as shiny as $100 million budget games, and price of entry. All things that are only temporary limitations. So yeah I do believe it will replace traditional gaming. Sitting hunched in front of a TV or monitor with your hands holding a controller in your lap, that's not going to last forever.

SvennoJ said:
Kyuu said:

About the bolded, it will eventually. Long down the line though when contact lenses are all that's required for AR/VR and brain interfaces become the main input. We're not going to carry cell phones around forever, in eye pip is the future.

https://www.roadtovr.com/mojo-vision-smart-contact-lens-ar-hands-on/
https://rossdawson.com/futurist/companies-creating-future/leading-brain-computer-interface-companies-bci/

And what is traditional gaming anyway? You obviously mean the current controller + screen setup (or all in one touch screen) but I grew with board games and AD&D, that's traditional gaming for me ;)

Every new form has its limitations. I had to relearn aiming when fps moved to consoles, after having to relearn aiming when the mouse replaced aswd aiming. I had to relearn steering when analog sticks came back after joy sticks fell out of fashion for a while.

Fact is VR combines plus points from KB+mouse, dual analog, and touch screen. Superior aiming like a mouse either by pointing or now simply by looking at something. Analog sticks to move or simply walk over to where you want to be. And easy interaction with virtual menus in 3D space.

The 'limitations' just seem to come to: don't want to wear anything on my head, feel isolated, motion sickness, games don't look as shiny as $100 million budget games, and price of entry. All things that are only temporary limitations. So yeah I do believe it will replace traditional gaming. Sitting hunched in front of a TV or monitor with your hands holding a controller in your lap, that's not going to last forever.

I just don't see it quite replacing flat screens as the predominant and comfy way of playing video games, not in my lifetime, but it will gain enough popularity to be deemed mainstream in a generation or two.

I admit saying "ever" is shortsighted if not a silly figure of speech, because the only constant is change, and even VR will evolve into or be beaten by things that we can't even conceptualize yet.

Conina said:
Captain_Yuri said:

...not to mention VR being generally expensive...

It's pocket change compared to your PC setup.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

Day 1 baby lets go popping down to me local JB after work to pick it up

I want Space Opera games... if there are some I'm in.

Loving the PSVR3 so far!

Conina said:
Captain_Yuri said:

...not to mention VR being generally expensive...

It's pocket change compared to your PC setup.

A PC is capable of so much more, though...

No. VR is nifty but ultimately a novelty product at this point, and the price isn't really justified especially considering the library. It would need more exclusives that are really designed from the ground up to be played on VR to make it worth it for me. For the current library, about 200 is probably as high as I'd go.