By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Ships 32.1 Million Units as of December 2022

Kyuu said:

Surprisingly big decline in 3rd party sales considering the stronger lineup compared to last year, and the improved hardware sales. PC might be cannibalizing console 3rd party software sales at an alarming rate.

My thoughts on this after reading ChaosSlayer's breakdown on Era:

It may be less that PC is hurting console software sales (though I'm sure it is a factor) and more that PS4's decline continues to beat PS5's growth (MAU wise), and Network Services contributing to the decline. Network Services revenue more than doubled YoY which suggests an increase in PS+ subs upgrading to Extra/Premium, because PS+ subs (in total) declined by 1.6 million despite the massive increase in revenue. An interesting turn events given the lukewarm reception for Extra/Premium. I guess this goes to show that PS Now's integration into PS+ paid off regardless of content quality.

In terms of revenue, Sony just crushed their all time FY Q3 record, and 2023's should repeat that. Looking at the new PS5 marketing campaign, and Sony not revising their 18 million forecast, 2023 is going to be a massive year for them, and will no doubt break multiple records.

Last edited by Kyuu - on 02 February 2023

Around the Network
SKMBlake said:
kazuyamishima said:

Inflation and post pandemic??

The PS5 doubling its sales suggests otherwise

Sure, I was just stating what a lot of insiders tried to explain why the Xbox results were low. 

On a side note, Sony did not reduced their forecast but instead they increased to 19m units shipped for FY2022, increased from the previous 18m.

So, they do expect to ship 6.2 million units for Q4 FY2022.

Kyuu said:
Kyuu said:

Surprisingly big decline in 3rd party sales considering the stronger lineup compared to last year, and the improved hardware sales. PC might be cannibalizing console 3rd party software sales at an alarming rate.

My thoughts on this after reading ChaosSlayer's breakdown on RA:

It may be less that PC is hurting console software sales (though I'm sure it is a factor) and more that PS4's decline continues to beat PS5's growth (MAU wise), and Network Services contributing to the decline. Network Services revenue more than doubled YoY which suggests an increase in PS+ subs upgrading to Extra/Premium, because PS+ subs (in total) declined by 1.6 million despite the massive increase in revenue. An interesting turn events given the lukewarm reception for Extra/Premium. I guess this goes to show that PS Now's integration into PS+ paid off regardless of content quality.

In terms of revenue, Sony just crushed their all time FY Q3 record, and 2023's should repeat that. Looking at the new PS5 marketing campaign, and Sony not revising their 18 million forecast, 2023 is going to be a massive year for them, and will no doubt break multiple records.

I'd agree and this is me. I've been waiting for a PS5 price decrease (which I've known wasn't coming for quite a while) and since PS5 Slim is supposed to be coming later in the year, I'm holding off until I know more about it. I haven't bought a bunch of games because I want to play them on PS5. In the meantime I upgraded from Plus Essential to Extra. PC is probably eating into console sales a bit but many of those PC players wouldn't buy a console anyway and those who would couldn't get a PS5 even if they wanted to, so game sales would likely be even lower if it weren't for PC.

Now it's the time to see if the PS5 can start beating the PS4 with more supply.

Around the Network

Better hardware sales than i thought, i predicted 6.8 million based on sales data and they shipped 7.1 million. 2022 calendar year hardware was 2 million up on 2021 despite the poor Q1 which left 2022 trailing. For the fiscal year after three quarters PS5 shipped 12.8 million and needs 5.2 million to hit their target of 18 million which will be incredibly tough. After nine quarters PS5 trails PS4 by 5.7 million units but of course this is due to supply shortages and Sony expects PS5 to eventually catch and overtake PS4.

Calendar year hardware shipments PS5 v PS4

Fiscal year Hardware Shipments PS4 v PS5

Last edited by ShadowLink93 - on 02 February 2023

Although overall software was down year on year it was much closer to the previous year compared to Q1 and Q2. Software is currently tracking to be around 260 million for the fiscal year. God of War: Ragnarok helped push 1st party to 20.8 million which is an increase of 9.5 million year on year.

Fiscal year software shipments since 2016/17

Fiscal Year 1st party software shipments since 2019/20

Last edited by ShadowLink93 - on 02 February 2023

ConservagameR said:
Kyuu said:

My thoughts on this after reading ChaosSlayer's breakdown on RA:

I'd agree and this is me. I've been waiting for a PS5 price decrease (which I've known wasn't coming for quite a while) and since PS5 Slim is supposed to be coming later in the year, I'm holding off until I know more about it. I haven't bought a bunch of games because I want to play them on PS5. In the meantime I upgraded from Plus Essential to Extra. PC is probably eating into console sales a bit but many of those PC players wouldn't buy a console anyway and those who would couldn't get a PS5 even if they wanted to, so game sales would likely be even lower if it weren't for PC.

Yeah it's hard to calculate it all, but Sony seem to know what they're doing. I myself haven't touched my PS4 for about 3 years now and been gaming exclusively on PC. But I'll return this month (will borrow my brother's PS5DE for the time being, and buy the PS5 revision later this year). Very excited for PSVR2 in particular.

Edit: Just realized they increased their forecast to 19 million holy cow! I didn't think they'd even hit their 18 million target following what I consider a slightly disappointing FY Q3 in hardware sales.

Last edited by Kyuu - on 02 February 2023

trunkswd said:
Qwark said:

1.5 million PS5 in transit and on the shelves doesn't seem that unreasonable to me. In most countries you can now easily order a PS5, so I think tracking is pretty much on point.

Only information we got from Sony is PS5 is above 30 million sell-through. So it is possible we are slightly undertracked with our sell-through estimates. But it wouldn't be by a ton. Especially compared to holiday 2021 where we had PS5 nearly 1 million too high. 

Page 10 of the suplemental data mentions 30M sellthrough estimated, I cant see anything about PS5 being above 30M sell-through?

Mbolibombo said:
trunkswd said:

Only information we got from Sony is PS5 is above 30 million sell-through. So it is possible we are slightly undertracked with our sell-through estimates. But it wouldn't be by a ton. Especially compared to holiday 2021 where we had PS5 nearly 1 million too high. 

Page 10 of the suplemental data mentions 30M sellthrough estimated, I cant see anything about PS5 being above 30M sell-through?

Sony announced 'more than 30 million sold through' during CES 2023.