By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Ships 32.1 Million Units as of December 2022

Link to VGChartz article here.

Sony Increases PS5 Forecast to 19 Million for Current Fiscal Year

Sony Interactive Entertainment announced it has increased its forecast for PlayStation 5 shipments for the current fiscal year, which ends March 31, 2023. The increase was by one million units shipped from 18 million to 19 million.

In order for Sony to reach its forecast for the PlayStation 5, it will need to hit a target of 6.2 million units from January to March 2023.

"Based on this result, we have set our sales forecast for the fiscal year at 19 million units," reads the announcement from Sony. "By optimizing our operations, we are exerting every effort to sell as many units as possible to meet the strong demand."

If Sony is able to ship 6.2 million units for the March 2023 quarter, it should close the gap between the PS5 and PS4 from 5.6 million units at the end of December 2022 to 1.8 million units as the PS4 had shipped 2.4 million units for its equivalent March quarter. 

For the quarter ending December 31, 2022, Sony had shipped 7.1 million PlayStation 5 consoles to bring lifetime shipment total to 32.1 million units.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
Machina said:
Mbolibombo said:

Page 10 of the suplemental data mentions 30M sellthrough estimated, I cant see anything about PS5 being above 30M sell-through?

Sony announced 'more than 30 million sold through' during CES 2023.

ok, Thought I missed it from the financial reports, my bad.

The financial report should indicate a sellthrough closer to 30 rather than 31M though.

Sony on its supplement link on page 10 (https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/22q3_supplement.pdf ) mentions PS5 is at 30.0M sell-through which are "estimated by Sony Interactive Entertainment." I hate to do it after adjusting up, but I am going to adjust PS5 back down. I jumped the gun based on Sony saying more than 30 million PS5s sold at CES and with 32.1 million shipped. With this information PS5 is definitely closer to 30M sell-through than 31M. Sorry all. 

Last edited by trunkswd - on 02 February 2023

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Awesome news today for Sony and PS5. Especially with the increase in shipment numbers for this quarter.

Any downward adjustments are fine as the site is over a month behind in new numbers and with Sony shipping a crazy amount this quarter the numbers are likely going to be off. Hell, they probably already caught up to the 32M mark sold through to consumers by now.

They are looking to ship over 6M this quarter which is unheard of. I am looking forward to seeing some crazy numbers this quarter for PS5. If they're selling 60k this week alone in Japan to outsell Switch then I imagine everywhere else is going to be blasted with PS5 shipments too. This new marketing campaign for PS5 is really well done too.
Great results last quarter and 2023 is looking to be crazy good for them.

kazuyamishima said:

On a side note, Sony did not reduced their forecast but instead they increased to 19m units shipped for FY2022, increased from the previous 18m.

So, they do expect to ship 6.2 million units for Q4 FY2022.

If they manage that I think it might be the Q1(calendar) all time record... Even Switch & DSs best is around 5-6m for Q1 IIRC

Around the Network
Blood_Tears said:

Awesome news today for Sony and PS5. Especially with the increase in shipment numbers for this quarter.

Any downward adjustments are fine as the site is over a month behind in new numbers and with Sony shipping a crazy amount this quarter the numbers are likely going to be off. Hell, they probably already caught up to the 32M mark sold through to consumers by now.

They are looking to ship over 6M this quarter which is unheard of. I am looking forward to seeing some crazy numbers this quarter for PS5. If they're selling 60k this week alone in Japan to outsell Switch then I imagine everywhere else is going to be blasted with PS5 shipments too. This new marketing campaign for PS5 is really well done too.
Great results last quarter and 2023 is looking to be crazy good for them.

We are working on making changes on how we post the estimates that are taking a bit longer than expected. We have run into a weird error that looks like I would have come across even before we made any changes. The dates are automatically mapped and the first week of 2023 for some reason is only adding 3 days to the date, so it is listing it as January 3 rather than January 7. Bandorr is working on fixing this. After that is updating the "Hardware Chart" on the front page. Then I can get cracking on the estimates.

Going forward the plan is to post the entire month of estimates at once PER region. Ie. when all the Japan data (Famitsu) for a month comes in I will post ALL the weeks for said month. When GamesIndustry posts its UK and Europe monthly reports I will post the Europe estimates for said month. When NPD posts its US monthly report I will post the US, Canada, and Latin America estimates for said month. After that I will post the other regions (Asia, MEA, Oceania) to finish up the worldwide estimates.

The plan with the new "Hardware Chart" on the front page is to have two of them. One that has the monthly sales for the latest month and another that has the weekly sales, but with a drop down so you can see the weekly sales for all the weeks in the most recent month.

The main reason for this change is to make our initial estimates more accurate than in the past. They won't be 100% spot on, but should be closer than before. The weekly sales articles will now be done once per month per region. Ie the "Worldwide Hardware Estimates for X week", the "Sales Comparison Charts" and "Launch Sales Comparison" will have an article for Japan, Europe, US, as well as worldwide. 

HigHurtenflurst said:
kazuyamishima said:

On a side note, Sony did not reduced their forecast but instead they increased to 19m units shipped for FY2022, increased from the previous 18m.

So, they do expect to ship 6.2 million units for Q4 FY2022.

If they manage that I think it might be the Q1(calendar) all time record... Even Switch & DSs best is around 5-6m for Q1 IIRC

The all time record is for a January to March quarter is 5.81 million by DS in 2008 and the record for a home console is 5.44 million by Wii in 2009. A ridiculously high target indeed, if they get close then i would be surprised and mightily impressed.

Incredible quarter for Sony and PlayStation Studios!

- 7.1M PS5's shipped
- Over 20M units of first party software sold
- Increase in PS+ tier subscriptions
- Over 30% of people who bought PS5 never had a PS4

Sony expects to ship over 6M PS5's this quarter? That's absolutely bonkers lol.

I don't know if Sony can manage to do that, but if they do, the PS5 will break all sorts of PlayStation records, and maybe a few industry ones too.

Strong quarter and things are looking really promising with that forecast increase since that only makes sense if Europe is gonna get a shitload of stock this year to make up for the past couple years. Over 30% of PS5 never having a PS4 is surprising, I thought that number would be far lower at this point in the gen.