By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Ships 32.1 Million Units as of December 2022

Link to VGChartz article here.

PS5 Ships 32.1 Million Units as of December 2022

Sony Interactive Entertainment in its financial results announced it has shipped 32.1 million PlayStation 5 consoles as of December 31, 2022.

With 32.1 million PlayStation 5 consoles shipped through the end of December 2022 that means 7.1 million units were shipped from October to December. This is up 3.2 million from the same quarter in 2021.

For reference, the PlayStation 4 had shipped 8.4 million units in the same quarter for a lifetime total of 37.7 million units shipped as of December 31, 2015. This puts the PS5 behind shipped PS4 units by 5.6 million units.

There were a total of 86.5 million games sold on the PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4 for the quarter. This is down 6.2 million from 92.7 million during the same period a year earlier. Digital sales accounted for 62 percent of software sales.

There were 20.8 million first-party games sold across the PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4. This is up 9.5 million from 11.3 million first-party games sold a year ago.

The number of PlayStation Plus subscribers is at 46.4 million, which is down 1.6 million from 48.0 million from the same quarter a year ago. There were 112 million monthly active users, an increase of one million from 111 million a year ago.

Sony's Game & Network Services Segment for the quarter ending December 31, 2022, reported revenue increased 433.29 billion yen ($3.37 billion) year-over-year to 1,246.55 billion yen ($9.69 billion), while operating income increased 23.35 billion yen ($0.18 billion) to 116.25 billion yen ($0.90 billion).

Sony's forecast for the Game & Network Services Segment remain unchanged from the November forecast with sales expectation remaining the same. However, operating income is expected to be higher "due to the positive impact of foreign exchange rates."

"Sales are expected to remain unchanged from the November forecast. Operating income is expected to be higher than the November forecast mainly due to the positive impact of foreign exchange rates.," reads the report from Sony.

"In the February forecast, Sony has incorporated approximately 57 billion yen in expenses associated with acquisitions completed within the current fiscal year, including Bungie, Inc. The actual amount of expenses is subject to change depending on factors such as completion timing and the accounting treatment to be finalized after the closing dates."

Last edited by trunkswd - on 02 February 2023

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

Undertracked or do you think the increased stock that we are seeing now is part of stock sent until December 31st 2022??

kazuyamishima said:

Undertracked or do you think the increased stock that we are seeing now is part of stock sent until December 31st 2022??

There was definitely more stock, so a bigger gap between shipped versus sold makes sense. Though right now before adjustments the gap is at 1.47 million. That does seem a little high.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

kazuyamishima said:

1.5 million PS5 in transit and on the shelves doesn't seem that unreasonable to me. In most countries you can now easily order a PS5, so I think tracking is pretty much on point.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Surprisingly big decline in 3rd party sales considering the stronger lineup compared to last year, and the improved hardware sales. PC might be cannibalizing console 3rd party software sales at an alarming rate.

Last edited by Kyuu - on 02 February 2023

Around the Network
Qwark said:
kazuyamishima said:

1.5 million PS5 in transit and on the shelves doesn't seem that unreasonable to me. In most countries you can now easily order a PS5, so I think tracking is pretty much on point.

Only information we got from Sony is PS5 is above 30 million sell-through. So it is possible we are slightly undertracked with our sell-through estimates. But it wouldn't be by a ton. Especially compared to holiday 2021 where we had PS5 nearly 1 million too high. 

I'm working on some adjustments right now for PS5, but will be heading to bed in a few as it is nearly 2 am here. 

Edit: I've done some adjustments increasing sales in the "rest of world" regions. Asia, MEA, Oceania, and Latin America.

PS5 lifetime sales now at 30.87M (Up from 30.63M before) with a gap between shipped vs sold at 1.23M. 

For now I am off to bed and will see if more adjustments are needed tomorrow. 

Last edited by trunkswd - on 02 February 2023

I understand the drop in the Xbox sales for Q4 now

SKMBlake said:

Inflation and post pandemic??

kazuyamishima said:
SKMBlake said:

Inflation and post pandemic??

The PS5 doubling its sales suggests otherwise