By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Ships 32.1 Million Units as of December 2022

ShadowLink93 said:

If PS5 can reach 19 million this fiscal year then it will beat PS2 and PS4's second full year and just be behind PS1's.

* Q4 remaining, forecast to ship 19 million

That FY0 for PS1 is actually more than a year... it's the combined shipments from December 1994 launch to end of March 1996 (so 16 months) It was only available in Japan in those extra months but that's also the case for PS2 FY0

https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/PlayStation

It's also "production shipments" for both PS1 & up to FY6 for PS2 rather than shipments to retailers, so technically it will be at least a couple of million ahead of the more modern reporting for PS3/4/5

Edit: here's the original docment it's from on Sony IE https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/06q4_sonypre.pdf

Sony IE archive: https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/archive.html

Last edited by HigHurtenflurst - on 05 February 2023

Around the Network
HigHurtenflurst said:
ShadowLink93 said:

If PS5 can reach 19 million this fiscal year then it will beat PS2 and PS4's second full year and just be behind PS1's.

* Q4 remaining, forecast to ship 19 million

That FY0 for PS1 is actually more than a year... it's the combined shipments from December 1994 launch to end of March 1996 (so 16 months) It was only available in Japan in those extra months but that's also the case for PS2 FY0

It's also "production shipments" for both PS1 & up to FY6 for PS2 rather than shipments to retailers, so technically it will be at least a couple of million ahead of the more modern reporting for PS3/4/5

Edit: here's the original docment it's from on Sony IE https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/06q4_sonypre.pdf

Sony IE archive: https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/archive.html

I know that up untill 2007 Sony reported production shipments and then changed to sold-in (shipped) but this is the only official data we have for PS1 and the first 7 years of PS2 so we just have to make do with what we have. PS2 numbers for fy0 are just March 4th to March 31st 2000 and the 4.3 million i've seen for PS1 i thought was from Dec '94 to March '95.

ShadowLink93 said:
HigHurtenflurst said:

I know that up untill 2007 Sony reported production shipments and then changed to sold-in (shipped) but this is the only official data we have for PS1 and the first 7 years of PS2 so we just have to make do with what we have. PS2 numbers for fy0 are just March 4th to March 31st 2000 and the 4.3 million i've seen for PS1 i thought was from Dec '94 to March '95.

Yeah not much to do about it being production shipments, ultimately doesn't affect lifetime sales (well not much, the changeover year where Sony reported both production & sales to retail for PS2 shows them being 600k difference, not sure if units are getting counted twice as Sony never released a lifetime total)

I was just including it so people can make their own judgement about how fast PS1&2 sold early on in comparison to PS3/4/5... on that chart I linked for example the PS3s first two figures are 5.5mil & 11mil in production shipments, so that's 16.5mil vs the 12.6m hardware shipments from your table.

For PS1, the 4.3m is definitely until March '96... Sony's "Fiscal Year" naming is unusually based on the year it started in rather than the year it ended in like most other companies.... That's why FY99 has PS2 included and FY06 has PS3 included in it (whereas for Nintendo the Wii isn't reported until FY07, but both of them are referring to the same time period of 12months ending March 2007)

HigHurtenflurst said:
ShadowLink93 said:

Yeah not much to do about it being production shipments, ultimately doesn't affect lifetime sales (well not much, the changeover year where Sony reported both production & sales to retail for PS2 shows them being 600k difference, not sure if units are getting counted twice as Sony never released a lifetime total)

I was just including it so people can make their own judgement about how fast PS1&2 sold early on in comparison to PS3/4/5... on that chart I linked for example the PS3s first two figures are 5.5mil & 11mil in production shipments, so that's 16.5mil vs the 12.6m hardware shipments from your table.

For PS1, the 4.3m is definitely until March '96... Sony's "Fiscal Year" naming is unusually based on the year it started in rather than the year it ended in like most other companies.... That's why FY99 has PS2 included and FY06 has PS3 included in it (whereas for Nintendo the Wii isn't reported until FY07, but both of them are referring to the same time period of 12months ending March 2007)

The reason that PS3 was over produced at the beginning was because Sony thought it would sell much more than it actually did and they weren't expecting the lack of demand. They intially forecast 6 million for Nov '06 to Mar '07 but only sold-in 3.5 million, however the PS1 and PS2 were in high demand from the start so they probably sold everything they produced and therefore the gap between production and sold-in was likely much smaller.

ShadowLink93 said:
HigHurtenflurst said:

The reason that PS3 was over produced at the beginning was because Sony thought it would sell much more than it actually did and they weren't expecting the lack of demand. They intially forecast 6 million for Nov '06 to Mar '07 but only sold-in 3.5 million, however the PS1 and PS2 were in high demand from the start so they probably sold everything they produced and therefore the gap between production and sold-in was likely much smaller.

Yes true for PS3, but however big the difference between expected & real demand is, production shipments have to lead retail shipments just as retail leads consumer sales. PS3s shipment figure is directly comparable to PS5s, but PS2s will be inflated slightly when talking about "fastest to milestone"

PS2 was definitely a huge leap in launch demand compared to older consoles, but newer consoles with simultaneous worldwide launches & increased modern production (recent chip shortages aside) can easily match it's early shipment figures (PS2s mid-life dominance & sales endurance however are not likely to be matched soon)

PS1 not really in such high demand early on as mentioned the first 4.3milion production shipment figures spans 16 months or 6 quarters. Though VG sales in general were much lower back then so I guess PS1 did well compared to prior hardware... it's FY97-98 when PS1 started smashing records.

Around the Network

What is all this talk of a revised PS5?

Zuhyc said:

Apparently it's a slim model.

CosmicSex said:
Zuhyc said:

Any sources?

CosmicSex said:
Zuhyc said:

Cost cutting , cheaper materials. I'd get the original.

KratosLives said:
CosmicSex said:

Cost cutting , cheaper materials. I'd get the original.

Sony has made a slim version of every console, even a PS3 Super Slim. Never was the quality significantly worse.