By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Best looking SNES game(s)

Snoopy Concert also has a very adorable art style. I like it a lot.

Around the Network

Super Metroid. If you played it you know there’s many clips in your mind that are flawless

By being and older fart than most here, I followed the SNES era in its entirety. It was a beast, even if some problems could be seen here and there (most related to slow downs, very common at that generation). So I think the evolution of the system in graphical terms should be analyzed differently from today, since the console went through some major increments that made things at the end to be possible that just would not be in the beginning (like StarFox).

Thus, I'd like to suggest for my analysis a rough division in early days versus later age and, for graphics (not general performance, mind you), almost no one could touch Konami in initial SNES stages. All the games that the company delivered by then (especially while the exclusive agreement was still intact) are insanely good looking, like:

Contra III

Castlevania IV

Turtles in Time

Just to name a few.

But, from the early days (more "in the middle", to be honest), I believe the most graphically impressive game on the system was Axelay. My goodness, that second stage boss alone was worth the full game price. And I'm not even talking about the fabulous soundtrack, that deserves a post of its own.

After 1994, there is no way to compete with Rare's productions for the system (DKC 1,2,3 and KI) in terms of graphics, even if I personally consider Yoshi's Island to be both the better platformer and the one with the best art direction from that time. Uniracers also looked ridiculously good. So any of those could be my pick.

In 1995 I started Law School and my gaming time became far more restricted, that being the reason I could only play a few selected games and did not have time for Chrono Trigger, so I will not talk much about it as to this day I have not played it.

One game I should mention, in 1993 Secret of Mana (Import) was really impressive, particularly with its use of layered special effects combined with the music made for a really pleasing experience.

Link to the Past’s bosses were impressive as well, and some of the sequences.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jpcc86 said:

In my heart, all of them are the most beautiful.

Spoken like a true Iwata's quote 😌

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network

Woopsie, I feel like some SquareSoft fans here forgot to mention FFVI hahaha.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Mar1217 said:

Woopsie, I feel like some SquareSoft fans here forgot to mention FFVI hahaha.

FF6 had some impressive scene work, too. Especially the Magitek Armour opening by Tetsuya Takahashi.

The final battle up the tower and to Kefka was also very impressive for its time.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.