By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Best looking SNES game(s)

Front Mission :Gunhazard.

It's a 1996 release so again Square got a lot out of the system. It has a lot of little neat effects going on. Good use of the soundchip. A stage with imressive  particle effects. Bullet casings calling out of your gun. Lighting tricks in cutscenes. The final stage has a building where the light reflecting on the windows changes depending on the position of your mecha. It's not one where a simple screenshot will do. Also I just love this game lol

Last edited by Leynos - on 02 February 2023

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

DKC, Uniracers, Super Punch Out, Yoshi's Island

Mega Man 7 looks fantastic. Haven't seen that mentioned yet.
From what I see, the game also does not get enough praise for its soundtrack.

1doesnotsimply

I love the late 16-bit stuff on SNES, gameplay wise by and large but also in terms of the graphics. I was the perfect age growing up with those games at the time (like 8-10 years old) so that era will always have a soft spot for me. But also looking back that stuff has aged particularly well and maintains a certain retro charm while still being detailed (other than maybe some of the Mode 7 stuff). Donkey Kong Country 1-3, Mario RPG, Earthworm Jim, Uniracers, Chrono Trigger, Yoshi's Island (stylistically at least) are some that come to mind.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Leynos said:

Terranigma is another one that was pulling of 3D effects using only sprites. The entire overworld is underground. Looks like an inverted Animal Crossing but on SNES

Outside fo Square Quintet probably got the most out of the system without resorting to the FX chip. SNES only allows 256 colors on screen at once and yet this game was pulling some lighting effects not common with 2D hardware. It always seemed like it had more going on screen than it does.

Actually the SNES can display more than 256 colours on screen at once... The actual real "limit" is more like several thousand thanks to color arithmetic and transparency effects.

It employs a plethora of "modes" and "tricks" to accomplish that however like HDMA.

For example.. Donkey Kong had different colour gradients for it's background layer on a per-scanline instance... Which allowed things like sunsets to take place.

And in Donkey Kong Country 2, RARE actually used math to subtract/add colour data to create transparency effects (And thus additional colours) to create additional colour gradients on the Crystals.
The SNES was actually capable of some incredible stuff considering it's early 90's hardware, only the PC had it beat.

Last edited by Pemalite - on 03 February 2023

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

Well so did Neo Geo AES. Floored SNES with 2D sprites and colors.

Last edited by Leynos - on 03 February 2023

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Pemalite said:

Killer Instinct. - SNES.

Mario RPG:

Donkey Kong Country 3:

Jumpin said:

Donkey Kong Country is one of the few games, ever, that impressed me graphically (when it first came out).
24-but graphics on a 16-bit console.

It's 16-bit.

You’re right.

Fuck :D

I’ll fix my post.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Pemalite said:
Leynos said:

Terranigma is another one that was pulling of 3D effects using only sprites. The entire overworld is underground. Looks like an inverted Animal Crossing but on SNES

Outside fo Square Quintet probably got the most out of the system without resorting to the FX chip. SNES only allows 256 colors on screen at once and yet this game was pulling some lighting effects not common with 2D hardware. It always seemed like it had more going on screen than it does.

Actually the SNES can display more than 256 colours on screen at once... The actual real "limit" is more like several thousand thanks to color arithmetic and transparency effects.

It employs a plethora of "modes" and "tricks" to accomplish that however like HDMA.

For example.. Donkey Kong had different colour gradients for it's background layer on a per-scanline instance... Which allowed things like sunsets to take place.

And in Donkey Kong Country 2, RARE actually used math to subtract/add colour data to create transparency effects (And thus additional colours) to create additional colour gradients on the Crystals.
The SNES was actually capable of some incredible stuff considering it's early 90's hardware, only the PC had it beat.

What are your thoughts on the Sharp X68000? Do you count home computers under PC? How did it compare against late 80's and early 90's PC's? That thing was a beast.

Landing in Crateria to this atmosphere blew me away.

There was a disturbing lack of Super Metroid in this thread.

My picks have already been highlighted; the Donkey Kong Country trilogy, but man, if you weren't there, it's almost impossible to descibe how far ahead of the curve they looked, it was like if Crysis had come out on the PS2 looking like it did on PC.

Super Mario RPG was also a stunner, as were a lot of Square's games for that matter, like Trials of Mana and Chrono Trigger.

Rendering Ranger R2 also did some really crazy stuff technically: