By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Zelda ToTK suffer a similar fate to Cyberpunk 2077?

Almost no chance. Nintendo have a long history of making sure their games run well and putting a lot of effort into them.

Pokemon was technically bad, yes, but GameFreak are separate from Nintendo (and they also have a long history of being pretty mediocre devs, so a dodgy release is actually the norm for them).

Around the Network

Hello,

No.

camilosanchez16 said:
curl-6 said:

This is Nintendo EPD we're talking about, not CD Projekt Red, Gamefreak, or Ubisoft. They're not going to release a busted game.

And a new Switch is not at all a "necessity", the system is still capable enough to be getting a plentiful supply of quality software.

I was wanting for this answer this whole time.

CD Projekt Red was considered, before Cyberpunk 2077, the best developer in the world. None is inmune to messing up.

You think The Witcher 3 was a highly polished game at launch?

The best developer in the world my ass. The Witcher 3 is their only game worthy of being called a masterpiece.

camilosanchez16 said:
curl-6 said:

This is Nintendo EPD we're talking about, not CD Projekt Red, Gamefreak, or Ubisoft. They're not going to release a busted game.

And a new Switch is not at all a "necessity", the system is still capable enough to be getting a plentiful supply of quality software.

CD Projekt Red was considered, before Cyberpunk 2077, the best developer in the world. None is inmune to messing up.

Lol, no.  I never heard of them being the best developer in the world.  Witcher 3 received amazing praise.  But one game never made the best developer in the world.  

It's a 1st party title, using the same engine, which has undoubtedly gone through several rounds of polish and optimization. There was some pop-in in BotW, I remember that, but it was usually when gliding across big distances. Besides, it's not like some of our time's most lauded releases didn't, and indeed still do, suffer from massive pop-in issues across platforms (GTA V says hi).

Nintendo gave up the power chase since the N64 days, and wisely so. Their own software and hardware have ever since existed as a synergetic package, to great effect. If anything, Nintendo's 1st party titles are known to be among the smoothest running in the biz. That said; the Wii U version of Breath of the Wild was damn near disastrous from a technical standpoint.

I haven't heard anyone express this fear, all I see is excitement, and I happen to share it.

As for Cyberpunk 2077; this is a 3rd party release which attempted to tread new ground in ray-tracing and vertical level-design. It also had the misfortune of releasing in the cross-gen window, needing to cater to a massively varying hardware pool. There was also pressure from the top to release it, seeing as how development had already dragged on for so long. Zelda is firmly in Nintendo-only hands, and there's no one above shouting and complaining about not getting it out on time. It's single-platform, and not cross-gen, and has the added benefit of being built on the existing foundation of the previous game (unlike Cyberpunk). The situations are really nothing alike. All things considered, it has the making to be a near-perfect release for Nintendo, both from a technical and critical angle.

Lastly, as a huge CDP fan, I have to agree with the above notions. I consider The Witcher 3 to be one of the finest games ever made, which is no small praise from someone who started gaming in 1988. But, it was not a technical marvel at release, especially the implementation of extra effects such as Nvidia Hairworks, was terrible (it more or less halved your fps on PC). I bought a beast of a rig at the same exact time as TW3:s release (specifically to max out TW3), costing me about 3500$, and could still barely cross that magical, stable 60fps limit in 1440p on ultra (running a 980 Ti).
TW1 was somewhere around "decent", TW2 was actually very good - but not amazing. CDP hadn't done all that much to deserve "best ever developer" up until Cyberpunk 2077 released. To me, their greatest achievement to this day is still GOG; adapting and selling classics in a slick storefront, fixing old bugs and insisting on doing away with anti-consumer DRM solutions.

Around the Network
camilosanchez16 said:
curl-6 said:

They weren't considered the best developer for their technical work, they were considered the most consumer friendly developer due to GoG and no DRM. Witcher 3 had tons of bugs on release, had a lot of performance issues on ps4. (I played it at release, ran like dog shit in the city sometimes taking 10-20 seconds for a scene to finish building or before you could talk to an NPC). TW2 no different, lot of problems at release especially with the DRM in the game (my pre-order codes didn't work either) and instead of fixing it CD Projekt Red removed the DRM which made them 'heroes'. So everyone got the pre-order extras.

Now they are neither although CP2077 is finally running better. We'll see how consumer friendly they are nowadays when it comes time to price the DLC for CP2077.

There's a good chance it has a lower meta score than BotW because that game had a very high score. Most likely it will come in lower, just because almost no games hit 97. Also, being in the same engine 6+ years later, some reviewers (and players) may be underwhelmed because of a lack of technical advances. But, that's a far cry from Cyberpunk 2077 which was a massive miss of expectations, loaded with bugs, and otherwise just disappointing release.

An 89 meta score, for example, is a very high score, even if it is lower than the 97 of BotW. Cyberpunk came in around 60 on the 8th gen consoles.  I'm so confident of this that if TotK on Switch doesn't beat that, I'll buy the OP the Switch 2 and the TotK that will inevitably be released for it so that he/she can enjoy the game with good performance.  

Clickbait. There's is nothing even remotely serious in OP.

Signature goes here!

camilosanchez16 said:
curl-6 said:

LOL, OP creates trolly-clickbait thread and has to wait 2 pages and 19 responses later for the very specific response he was trying to draw out regarding CD Projekt Red.  And it still blows up in his face when several people remind him that CDPR didn't have the God-tier track record he thought they did...