By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Zelda ToTK suffer a similar fate to Cyberpunk 2077?

This is Nintendo EPD we're talking about, not CD Projekt Red, Gamefreak, or Ubisoft. They're not going to release a busted game.

And a new Switch is not at all a "necessity", the system is still capable enough to be getting a plentiful supply of quality software.

Around the Network

I think if Nintendo is planning on ramping up switch production just for this release, they know they have another gem on their hands.

Last edited by Kslost - on 25 January 2023

Absolutely not. Nintendo would never let that happen with a Zelda game. This isn’t Pokémon where the main goal is meeting a deadline. They would delay to next year if that’s what it took for TotK to be polished enough.

camilosanchez16 said:

The new Pokemon not only ran bad but also was full of bugs.

I don't think many bugs are related to the power of the system.

And this Zelda game is based on the previous game's engine. I imagine they've found ways to make better uase of it over the years, and won't compromise that by doing more things than the system can handle.
If you create a game from scratch for Switch, it shouldn't be a problem. You can point to Game Freak, and while there's no doubt a lot of the visual issues wouldn't be there if Switch had more horsepower to give, the problems still seem mainly on them when you look at what other developers have been able to produce on the same hardware. Xenoblade 3 for example.

The issues of Switch not recieving higher end multiplats is there, but that doesn't affect the development process of their exclusive titles.

Last edited by Hiku - on 26 January 2023

curl-6 said:

This is Nintendo EPD we're talking about, not CD Projekt Red, Gamefreak, or Ubisoft. They're not going to release a busted game.

And a new Switch is not at all a "necessity", the system is still capable enough to be getting a plentiful supply of quality software.

I was wanting for this answer this whole time.

CD Projekt Red was considered, before Cyberpunk 2077, the best developer in the world. None is inmune to messing up.

Around the Network
camilosanchez16 said:
curl-6 said:

CD Projekt Red was considered, before Cyberpunk 2077, the best developer in the world. None is inmune to messing up.

CD Projekt Red made some great games, but their work was never as polished and airtight as EPD's, not even close. Even Witcher 3, widely considered their best game, had no small amount of bugs.

Tears of the Kingdom is going to be fine. Nintendo has a far bigger history of launching polished games than CDPR ever did before Cyberpunk.

In fact, I'm not even sure if Nintendo ever released a game as broken as Cyberpunk 2077 in its entire existence.

I played Breath of the Wild on Wii U and it ran pretty damn well. That game was technically made for previous gen so we really don't know what Aonuma and team can do if they're developing specifically for the Switch.

No. CP2077 being on multiplatform complicates development in general with games but also that game was rushed and badly managed by people who didn't care about quality but meeting a quota.

When has Nintendo released a 1st party game that was in that state?   Not to mention they have help from Monolith Soft with Xenoblade 3 plus BOTW they know the ins and outs of that system well. No one really matches Nintendo's polish as a general rule. I don't expect a 1080P 60FPS game but at worst 720P 30FPS with minor dips. Also maybe 900P 30FPS. But relatively bug free. (Pokemon is not developed by Nintendo btw) Nintendo have some of the most talented developers but also people who care about quality in the industry. Nintendo has never been afraid to delay games several times to make sure the game is not only good but also runs well.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

camilosanchez16 said:

I got The Witcher 1 when it released, in a time where CD Projekt Red was a rather unknown developer. While the game was fun and all, it also was a complete bugfest. They released a new version sometime later and folks who bought at launch got it for free, which was ok an everything. But it didn't change the fact that the game launched in a horrific state. So CD Projekt Red kinda has a history with releasing buggy games. 

Nintendo on the other hand? Not so much. Sure, there might be some framedrops here and there, but Ocarina of Time also had those. Also, Zelda and delays go together naturally. Zelda 64 was delayed countless times before it released as Ocarina of Time. 

Long story short: nothing to worry about.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.