By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Zelda ToTK suffer a similar fate to Cyberpunk 2077?

Pemalite said:
zero129 said:

My thoughts is its using the same engine as BOTW and that ran pretty good on Switch. Nothing shows that it got a graphics upgrade so id imagine it will run pretty good on current gen switch also. Would it be nice for a Switch 2 running it in higher res and better frame rate? sure it would. But that didnt stop the first game from getting rave reviews and being loved by many gamers and i defo dont think it will stop its sequel.

There is a visual upgrade, it's using far more volumetrics now.

The first game ran at 720P handheld, up to 900P docked, but for a WiiU port... That's actually not that bad.

I would hope/expect another 720P experience at 30fps, with higher visuals, the hardware is old, Nintendo are better at using it now... Rather than just porting an old game and pumping up resolution.

It would be nice if it could hit 1080p in docked mode to go with my projector. BotW looked good but blown up to wall size, pretty soft picture. I also wonder if getting the joy-cons fixed, also fixed the left join con losing connection with the Switch sitting on the other side of the room. I had to place it halfway (as far as the hdmi cable allowed) not to lose connection from the couch. 720p is a bit low nowadays :/ I guess it scales well to a 4K screen, tripple each axis.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
Pemalite said:

There is a visual upgrade, it's using far more volumetrics now.

The first game ran at 720P handheld, up to 900P docked, but for a WiiU port... That's actually not that bad.

I would hope/expect another 720P experience at 30fps, with higher visuals, the hardware is old, Nintendo are better at using it now... Rather than just porting an old game and pumping up resolution.

It would be nice if it could hit 1080p in docked mode to go with my projector. BotW looked good but blown up to wall size, pretty soft picture. I also wonder if getting the joy-cons fixed, also fixed the left join con losing connection with the Switch sitting on the other side of the room. I had to place it halfway (as far as the hdmi cable allowed) not to lose connection from the couch. 720p is a bit low nowadays :/ I guess it scales well to a 4K screen, tripple each axis.

1080P is unlikely with the Switch's extremely tiny fillrate... It was always a console that is better suited to 720P.

I just don't use my joycons, use a 3rd party wireless controller instead, but my console also never leaves the dock and I believe the joycons are terrible controllers that lack any real ergonomics.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

1080P is unlikely with the Switch's extremely tiny fillrate... It was always a console that is better suited to 720P.

I just don't use my joycons, use a 3rd party wireless controller instead, but my console also never leaves the dock and I believe the joycons are terrible controllers that lack any real ergonomics.

True they are tiny, but it's so nice to have a split controller, not having to keep my hands together :) I miss the Wii mote and nun chuck! The Wii mote wasn't that comfortable but that nunchuck was great.

No because cyberpunk was about bad optimization not power. I don't even know how you thought they were comparable

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Mummelmann said:

Nintendo gave up the power chase since the N64 days, 

Lol wut ? The Gamecube was a power-house way ahead of the Dreamcast and PlayStation

Around the Network

No, Nintendo is/has not lied about everything their game was supposed to be. Nintendo won't use the "good guy" card to their advantage, as CD RED was fond of doing.

SKMBlake said:
Mummelmann said:

Nintendo gave up the power chase since the N64 days, 

Lol wut ? The Gamecube was a power-house way ahead of the Dreamcast and PlayStation

I stand corrected; they gave up the power chase since the Gamecube. The point still applies.

I highly doubt that it will have the same fate as Cyberpunk 2077.

Mummelmann said:
SKMBlake said:

I stand corrected; they gave up the power chase since the Gamecube. The point still applies.

I not only agree with your original point, but I’d take it a step further and say the N64 was the only time Nintendo was really chasing the power crown. The NES, Gameboy, and SNES consoles weren’t exactly powerhouses.

While I understand the reasoning of SKMBlake, I don’t agree with it. The Gamecube was on par, but not a powerhouse—that crown goes to the Xbox. The Xbox’s CPU and GPU were more powerful, relative to Gamecube, than Gamecube was to PS2.

On the other hand, the N64 actually was way ahead of its competition in terms of power. In fact, the CPU was so far ahead that you could add up all the MHz of the other CPUs of the generation (3D0, Jaguar, Saturn, and PSX) and the N64 still had a higher number.

If Nintendo was trying to be the top dog, they’d have doubled their CPU to a 950MHz to 1GHz cpu in 2001 to equal what the N64 was doing in 1996. Why didn’t they do it? I’d guess Nintendo had second thoughts about the power race after they lost nearly half their home console market, and the much less powerful PSX outsold all 16-bit era consoles combined (SNES, Mega Drive, TG16, NeoGeo, CDi, Sega CD, 32X, PC Engine CD, NeoGeo CD).

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:

While I understand the reasoning of SKMBlake, I don’t agree with it. The Gamecube was on par, but not a powerhouse—that crown goes to the Xbox. The Xbox’s CPU and GPU were more powerful, relative to Gamecube, than Gamecube was to PS2.

Not really on par, I compared the GameCube to the PS2 and Dreamcast because it's known that the PS2 was more powerful than the Dreamcast (Sega admitting before release "the PS2 sounds impressive - on paper"), and the GameCube was more powerful than the PS2 (not a generation leap of course). 

It's like N64 being more powerful than the PS1 which was more powerful than the Saturn.

And yes the Xbox was more powerful, but also released after all other consoles. But that was not my point, which was: Nintendo was in the power battle against competitors during GameCube era too, as it was the most powerful console when they launched it.