By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 51, 2022 (12 Dec - 18 Dec)

Kyuu said:
Agente42 said:

1. True

2. True

3. The high digital ratio in Japanese market it´s not true. Good digital performance in Japanese market was 40-50%, Japan has a stronger retail performance. With this in mind, PS5 is the worst Sony software sales.

4.  the White book demonstrates fall of the physical game in Ps4 too. And used market too.

5. True but f2p is stronger in Switch too. ( Fortnite bundles always sell better on Nintendo platform in Japan)

6. Momotaro and Monster Hunter Rise, and other thirds overperformed on Switch. Third bet high stakes in Ps5 and have okish performance at a best. 

7. The shortage doesn´t translate into a good overall performance when a comparable same videogame if the same install base or lower.

It´s not impressive. Ps5 received and will receive the mainlines FF and ports.

The great PS5 week with 3 games on charts, two was heavily bundled and one is a launch week. 

Square Enix seems worried about this. I believe FF will be a good performance, it´s a big game, with a monstrous budget. In Japan, the range may be 400-750 LTD (physical only).  Forspoken I don´t believe will have a good performance. 

This year, the Nintendo platform will be 92-94% of physical software sales in Japan. 

3. Digital is much higher now vs years ago, and it's higher on PS than on Switch (Globally. In the UK for instance digital ratios are 55% PS5 vs 25% Switch), and PS5 would be higher than PS4 due to Digital Edition. The difference in Japan is probably not as pronounced as the rest of the world but it's there and it adds up.

4. PS4 is an old console with virtually "zero production", not necessarily a huge factor but again... it's there.

5. And? Are you confusing me to mean PS is bigger than Switch or something? Switch probably has over 3 times the active install base. They're not even in the same realm when you consider 1st party output, which is what sells Switches.

6. What "overperformed" is Monster Hunter World and Dragon Quest XI on PS4. Rise performed just okay (well under the expectations of those obsessing about the significance of install bases). 3rd party games in general don't sell well in Japan regardless of the platform. CrisisCore's performance on Switch is abysmal. The few anomalies like Momotaro don't change this.

7. The shortage is hurting sales. Some of my points are less significant than others, but combined together, they make a difference. People are exaggerating both the "death of Playstation" in Japan and the significance of Japan as a market for Japanese 3rd parties.

SquareEnix and Naoki Yoshida seem confident that there will be a ton of PS5's shipped to Japan starting next year. If FF16 fails to sell decent numbers in Japan, then that would primarily be due to to the decline of 3rd parties, the IP itself, and the switch to action-RPG, as opposed to anything relating to the console it's being released on. PS5 may eventually sell as much as a typical home console in Japan.

3. Source? White books don´t demonstrate this rise, so you have some data with a bunch of games in Japan or taking other markets to measure this rise. The second one is the wrong analysis.

4. This is because your argument is " They buying ps4 games". Not true, because White book doesn´t track this rise. Otherwise, demonstrate futter decline, usually attribute to a dying console

5. The point is ps5 has some thirds underperform and will be more underperformed.

6. Changing the narrative , we talking about ps5 but you don´t have any good performance try to bring ps4 into the mix. Square Enix Dragon Quest XI need a 3ds to make easy money and a Switch sell until months ago.  So trying to picture Dragon Quest saved by Sony is wrong, looking of sales os any Dragon quest now. Nintendo over performer Ps4/Ps5 combined.

7. The software was abysmal, this does not change this.

Square Enix is worried because sees the further decline and bad decision and tries to PR declaration, try to downpla the situation. The funny thing, we have one example of one game that sells better than the initial install base: BOTW

Around the Network

Does anyone have famitsu's 3rd party sales numbers for this year and previous?
The last time someone posted them I could have sworn they were on a steady increase.

Over the last couple of months there seems to have been a definite shift from PS4 having more titles than PS5 in the top 30 to the other way around.
Bundling may be a part of it, but hopefully it's also a sign that the audience is transitioning.

I guess Crisis Core audience is not on Switch. Maybe it will have some legs, but I doubt according to Amazon JP.

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

I guess Crisis Core audience is not on Switch. Maybe it will have some legs, but I doubt according to Amazon JP.

FF as a brand and FF7 in particular are very strongly associated with the Playstation brand and userbase. 

That said, Crisis Core Reunion on Switch sold basically on par with the PS4/5 versions which is a decent turnout given the above.

Around the Network

Final fantasy as a whole is no longer the strong powerhouse name brand it was 20 years ago. No idea why so many people are surprised when the new games never sell well. Persona and Nier seem to sell better than final fantasy now..

我是广州人

Ashadelo said:

Final fantasy as a whole is no longer the strong powerhouse name brand it was 20 years ago. No idea why so many people are surprised when the new games never sell well. Persona and Nier seem to sell better than final fantasy now..

It definitely is declining every main entry. But I am still surprised this remaster sold 150k physical copies week 1.

curl-6 said:
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

FF as a brand and FF7 in particular are very strongly associated with the Playstation brand and userbase. 

That said, Crisis Core Reunion on Switch sold basically on par with the PS4/5 versions which is a decent turnout given the above.

Yeah exactly. Most people who are big FF fans are going to have PlayStation. Definitely a very good showing for the game on Switch.

By the time FFXVI will be available, there will be around 40million PS5 consoles (or so) sold WW.

I think the game will be fine and will do very good numbers.

FF7 remake part 1 did about 5 million units WW after 4 months of being launched.

It also seems that a lot of people are extremely afraid of some PS pre-orders in Japan when even games like Monster Hunter World has sold more in the west than Japan.

The same case will be with FFXVI, but that’s just my opinion.

FFXVI and FF7 Rebirth will do great almost everywhere except for Japan and trust me Square likes that much more than the other way around. The days that Playstation was relevant in Japan is a decade behind us. The PS4 wasn't relevant nor will the PS5 be. However FF always have done well in the West and will continue to do so. In Japan neither game will break the million mark though.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar