By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Sales Top 28M, XS Tops 20M - Worldwide Hardware Estimates for Nov 27-Dec 3

Good to see both PS5 and XS up year-on-year, even if Sony is up just for a bit.

Next year should be better for both systems.

Around the Network
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

Good to see both PS5 and XS up year-on-year, even if Sony is up just for a bit.

Next year should be better for both systems.

PS5 should have no problem growing its year-on-year lead as sales were rather low all of last holiday. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

The first 6 months of 2022 were pretty awful for PS5, YOY growth can be very significant if they start producing more and more systems.

kazuyamishima said:

The first 6 months of 2022 were pretty awful for PS5, YOY growth can be very significant if they start producing more and more systems.

First 6... try the first 11 months. It wasnt until just this past 1st of December that 2022 PS5 sales totals surpassed 2021.

darthv72 said:
kazuyamishima said:

First 6... try the first 11 months. It wasnt until just this past 1st of December that 2022 PS5 sales totals surpassed 2021.

The situation got a little bit better starting in July, there were some weeks in the first 6 months of 2022 that the PS5 did less than 100K/week.

I'm still surprised they are confident in surpassing their 18m forecast for FY22 unless they throw everything in the first three months of 2023, but I really doubt it.

Around the Network

Switch on track to hit its FY target of 19 million units, which would be a fantastic haul for its 6th year on the market.

Sony seems to be headed towards prioritizing US and Asia over EU (relative to demand). Time will tell if they're making the right decision or are taking Europe for granted. But I don't think it will matter because once demand in US and Asia is met, they'll start sending more units to EU, so things should normalize in the short term either way.

Then again it would not shock me that even with significant production improvement, PS5 will still fail to meet demand in most regions until mid 2024. I think Spider-Man 2, PS5 revision, and potentially PSVR2 might help increase demand greatly. The revision in paricular may be a game changer because it could be the moment Sony finally pushes towards digital edition adoption ($100 cheaper).

I’d be very surprised if this isn’t the last we see of any significant PS5 shortages. They should have more than enough production now to satisfy demand on a week by week basis outside the holidays, and they will have the whole of 2023 to stock up surplus consoles for christmas.

DonFerrari said:
mjk45 said:

While it may look good to be leading a resurgent Xbox in NA taking your best market for granted is a dangerous game to play and the longer it goes on the more dangerous it becomes .

Even though the PS3 did go from struggling to sell 60/70 million to eventually sneaking past the 360 with around 87 mill sold helping see Sony out of the doldrums to at least having a little wind in their sails coming into the next gen, it was mainly Europe that drove the PS4's increase something that in turn helped strengthen both the Sony and PlayStation brand image worldwide.

There may be logistical reasons to the discrepancy, but if I put money on it, it would be due to there focus not being about how the PS4's overall sales success was achieved and how to replicating but that their pride took over and retaining NA became the focus, now that's ok except they have done so at the expense of other areas.

I think it have more to do with limited inventory and selling where they believe will profit more than just beating MS on NPD.

The thing is the European PS5 before the increase at 499 euro made them around  26 dollars US a unit more but with the increase to 549 euro and $479.99 pound the exchange rates sees them earning around $582. per unit 

Last edited by mjk45 - on 21 December 2022

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

DonFerrari said:
mjk45 said:

While it may look good to be leading a resurgent Xbox in NA taking your best market for granted is a dangerous game to play and the longer it goes on the more dangerous it becomes .

Even though the PS3 did go from struggling to sell 60/70 million to eventually sneaking past the 360 with around 87 mill sold helping see Sony out of the doldrums to at least having a little wind in their sails coming into the next gen, it was mainly Europe that drove the PS4's increase something that in turn helped strengthen both the Sony and PlayStation brand image worldwide.

There may be logistical reasons to the discrepancy, but if I put money on it, it would be due to there focus not being about how the PS4's overall sales success was achieved and how to replicating but that their pride took over and retaining NA became the focus, now that's ok except they have done so at the expense of other areas.

I think it have more to do with limited inventory and selling where they believe will profit more than just beating MS on NPD.

With the increased price for the PS5 they now retail for 549.00 euro / 479 pound the exchange rate equivalent of 582.00 US dollars and even before the increase they were retailing at 499 euro/ 525 US dollars so even before the price hike Sony were making $26.00 more than the $499.00 US retail.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 21 December 2022

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot