By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Sales Top 28M, XS Tops 20M - Worldwide Hardware Estimates for Nov 27-Dec 3

Looks like Xbox will pass 10M by the end of the year. Not bad for a console with zero AAA exclusives this year lol. It makes me curious how next year will play out.

Around the Network

Just 490k more units and the Switch outsells the Gameboy.
Next week it is then.

Also, super weird to see the Switch so far ahead of the PS5 in Europe. Sony really are making a hard push for North America with what stock they have.

SKMBlake said:
Norion said:

Being up 121% and 63% is great to see though both could've been up even more with better stock in places like Europe so that's an opportunity for next year.

Well it isn't hard to find a Series X in Europe

Have the stock issues for that there been fully cleared up?

Let's see how that 37M by March end rumor will do.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Pretty impressed with PS5's push for North America, it might be another NPD win if this keeps up, definitely #1 in revenue that's for sure. Switch is killin it as always too. Xbox is selling but the deep discounts on the Series S is obviously pushing that so ehh.

Around the Network
Wman1996 said:

Wild to think that Sony's dominance in Europe is slipping. LTD hardware sales of the PS5 put its North American numbers above its European numbers. I suppose with the supply issues, Sony really wants to get as many units as possible to North America.
PS5's lifetime sales in Europe could end up surpassing sales in North America, but who knows.

While it may look good to be leading a resurgent Xbox in NA taking your best market for granted is a dangerous game to play and the longer it goes on the more dangerous it becomes .

Even though the PS3 did go from struggling to sell 60/70 million to eventually sneaking past the 360 with around 87 mill sold helping see Sony out of the doldrums to at least having a little wind in their sails coming into the next gen, it was mainly Europe that drove the PS4's increase something that in turn helped strengthen both the Sony and PlayStation brand image worldwide.

There may be logistical reasons to the discrepancy, but if I put money on it, it would be due to there focus not being about how the PS4's overall sales success was achieved and how to replicating but that their pride took over and retaining NA became the focus, now that's ok except they have done so at the expense of other areas.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 19 December 2022

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

All Time Video Game Hardware Sales List:

1) PlayStation 2 (PS2) - 158,700,000 (155,000,000+ according to Sony) Mar. 31st, 2012

2) Nintendo DS (DS) - 154,020,000

3) Game Boy (GB/GBC) - 118,690,000

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4) Nintendo Switch (NS) - 118,202,128 (114,330,000 according to Nintendo) - Sept. 30th, 2022

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Knocking on the Game Boy's door.

Edit: it is exceedingly likely that this is the very last grim-reaper-switch meme. Thank you Switch. It's been hell of a journey.

Last edited by Kristof81 - on 19 December 2022

mjk45 said:
Wman1996 said:

Wild to think that Sony's dominance in Europe is slipping. LTD hardware sales of the PS5 put its North American numbers above its European numbers. I suppose with the supply issues, Sony really wants to get as many units as possible to North America.
PS5's lifetime sales in Europe could end up surpassing sales in North America, but who knows.

While it may look good to be leading a resurgent Xbox in NA taking your best market for granted is a dangerous game to play and the longer it goes on the more dangerous it becomes .

Even though the PS3 did go from struggling to sell 60/70 million to eventually sneaking past the 360 with around 87 mill sold helping see Sony out of the doldrums to at least having a little wind in their sails coming into the next gen, it was mainly Europe that drove the PS4's increase something that in turn helped strengthen both the Sony and PlayStation brand image worldwide.

There may be logistical reasons to the discrepancy, but if I put money on it, it would be due to there focus not being about how the PS4's overall sales success was achieved and how to replicating but that their pride took over and retaining NA became the focus, now that's ok except they have done so at the expense of other areas.

US dollar is stronger than the Euro, I suspect they will release a different model next year and/or will try to reduce their cost and will start shipping more units into Europe next year.

But that's just my opinion.

Norion said:
SKMBlake said:

Well it isn't hard to find a Series X in Europe

Have the stock issues for that there been fully cleared up?

Series X has been easily available for months in Europe. Even PS5s Ragnarök bundles are available at will now, though that wasn’t neccessarily the case at the end of November.