By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Sales Top 28M, XS Tops 20M - Worldwide Hardware Estimates for Nov 27-Dec 3

mjk45 said:
DonFerrari said:

I think it have more to do with limited inventory and selling where they believe will profit more than just beating MS on NPD.

With the increased price for the PS5 they now retail for 549.00 euro / 479 pound the exchange rate equivalent of 582.00 US dollars and even before the increase they were retailing at 499 euro/ 525 US dollars so even before the price hike Sony were making $26.00 more than the $499.00 US retail.

Nope, not really. You are forgetting in USA the taxes comes at the purchase moment and isn't part of the 499 price, for Europe the price have the tax inside them.

Let's say UK/Euro tax is about 10%. So that means for the 525USD (499 euro) at the time of launch the equivalency would be 472.5 so Sony was making 27.5 less on the console sold in europe versus USA. The 582 USD (549 euro) would mean equivalency of 524 so 24 more profit. If the tax is higher than that, let's say 16% then it would be the same, any higher they would still be losing compared to USA. Then also if we consider different regions would have higher or lower SW attach ratio that could also impact the analysis.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:

Let's say UK/Euro tax is about 10%.

It's actually easy to check that. Sales taxes in Euroland are between 16% and 26%. Prices also include store margins (there are laws against shops selling regular stuff below self costs). So Sony/MS/Ninty gets about 70% at best of what is advertised in shops.

Sony probably lost some money prior to the price hike and now gets away roughly +/- 0

In recent weeks, Microsoft has been losing a shi*ton of money selling their consoles at 200/300 Euros (hence why Spencer threw in that $100-$200 loss per console recently, and that was before the bigrebates)

Nintendo makes a shi*ton of money on hardware, that thing is dirt cheap to manufacture.

And looking at the Covid situation developing in China, it could very well be that production of consoles is going to tank in 2023.

drkohler said:
DonFerrari said:

Let's say UK/Euro tax is about 10%.

It's actually easy to check that. Sales taxes in Euroland are between 16% and 26%. Prices also include store margins (there are laws against shops selling regular stuff below self costs). So Sony/MS/Ninty gets about 70% at best of what is advertised in shops.

Sony probably lost some money prior to the price hike and now gets away roughly +/- 0

In recent weeks, Microsoft has been losing a shi*ton of money selling their consoles at 200/300 Euros (hence why Spencer threw in that $100-$200 loss per console recently, and that was before the bigrebates)

Nintendo makes a shi*ton of money on hardware, that thing is dirt cheap to manufacture.

And looking at the Covid situation developing in China, it could very well be that production of consoles is going to tank in 2023.

Thank you for the additional data. So it seems that even after the price increase they still make significantly less money (perhaps even lose) in console sold in Europe, that would explain why with limited supply they prioritize USA.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

kazuyamishima said:

I'm still surprised they are confident in surpassing their 18m forecast for FY22 unless they throw everything in the first three months of 2023, but I really doubt it.

Well it solely depends on their ability to produce them

ShadowLink93 said:

So far Switch is selling about the same as NDS in it's sixth full fiscal year (purple) with 6.68 million versus 6.69 million, it's going to be close if Switch can sell more than the 9.01 million the DS sold in Q3.

Next year is going to be interesting in the DS vs Switch battle because DS fell really hard in it's 7th year and I don't think Switch dip that low.

Last edited by TruckOSaurus - on 21 December 2022

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

Link to the article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch Launch Sales Comparison Through Week 108

This weekly series compares the aligned launch sales of the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch.

It should be noted the Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X|S had a worldwide launch, while the PlayStation 5 launch was split over the course of two weeks. Also, the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017, while the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S launched during the holidays in November 2020.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Global:

1. Switch: 32,509,418
  2. PS5: 28,255,097
  3. XSX|S: 20,255,744

Through the first 108 weeks available worldwide the Nintendo Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 4.25 million units units and is 12.25 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 8.00 million units.

The Switch has sold 32.51 million in 108 weeks worldwide, while the PS5 sold 28.26 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 20.26 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 108 weeks, the Switch is in the lead. The Switch has a 40.1 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 34.9 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 25.0 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch US:

1. Switch: 11,371,213
  2. PS5: 10,696,791
  3. XSX|S: 9,665,370

Through the first 108 weeks available in the US the Nintendo Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 0.67 million units and is 1.71 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 1.03 million units.

The Switch has sold 11.37 million in 108 weeks in the US, while the PS5 sold 10.70 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 9.67 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 108 weeks, the Switch currently leads. The Switch has a 35.8 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 33.7 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 30.5 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Europe (107 weeks):

1. PS5: 9,255,666
  2. Switch: 8,252,846
  3. XSX|S: 5,298,163

The PlayStation 5 has been available for one week less than the Xbox Series X|S in Europe. After 107 weeks the PS5 is ahead of the Switch by 1.00 million units and is 3.96 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 2.95 million units.

The PS5 has sold 9.26 million in 107 weeks in Europe, while the Switch sold 8.25 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 5.30 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 107 weeks, the PlayStation 5 currently leads. The PS5 has a 40.6 percent marketshare, the Switch sits at 36.2 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 23.2 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Japan:

1. Switch: 7,809,703
  2. PS5: 2,220,130
  3. XSX|S: 398,179

Through the first 108 weeks available in Japan the Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S by a wide margin. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 5.59 million units and is 7.41 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 1.82 million units.

The Switch has sold 7.81 million units in 108 weeks in Japan, while the PS5 has sold 2.22 million units, and the Xbox Series X|S 0.40 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 108 weeks, the Switch currently leads. The Switch has a 74.9 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 21.3 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 3.8 percent.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

DonFerrari said:

Thank you for the additional data. So it seems that even after the price increase they still make significantly less money (perhaps even lose) in console sold in Europe, that would explain why with limited supply they prioritize USA.

There are also things one doesn't take into account at first. Years ago, shippping a container from China to Europe was around $2800. Now it currently sits around $10500. Getting the contents of the containers from the harbour to places also increased in price greatly. In the end, Sony was right with the price increase from their point of view.

drkohler said:
DonFerrari said:

There are also things one doesn't take into account at first. Years ago, shippping a container from China to Europe was around $2800. Now it currently sits around $10500. Getting the contents of the containers from the harbour to places also increased in price greatly. In the end, Sony was right with the price increase from their point of view.

And shipping to Europe is considerably costlier than to USA right?

DonFerrari said:
drkohler said:

I just had to check the whole thing and prices have been significantly decreasing.

Container shipping basically is a logistical portto-port thing, distances and tme are not that decisive. I think shipping a container to either Europe or west coast USA only differs by roughly 10-15% (in favour of USA).

drkohler said:
DonFerrari said:

I just had to check the whole thing and prices have been significantly decreasing.

Container shipping basically is a logistical portto-port thing, distances and tme are not that decisive. I think shipping a container to either Europe or west coast USA only differs by roughly 10-15% (in favour of USA).

nothing that massive but everything adds up.