By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Sales Top 28M, XS Tops 20M - Worldwide Hardware Estimates for Nov 27-Dec 3

trunkswd said:
PotentHerbs said:

Didn't that report claim that Series X/S got 2:1 by the PS5 last year? IIRC, I don't think VGC numbers reflected that. I could be wrong though lol.

This report for 2021 includes Switch, PS5, PS4, Xbox Series and Xbox One. So Sony data is PS4 and PS5 added together and Microsoft is Xbox One and Xbox Series added together. I did some tweaks yesterday to our estimates. Switch and Xbox went from about 2 percent off to now more like 1 percent. And Sony from 3 to about 2 percent. I'll do more adjustments in the new year. But overall they wouldn't be anything big. 

One of the big changes was moving a lot of Xbox One sales for 2021 to 2020. Microsoft gave us combined lifetime Xbox Series and Xbox One sales (or shipped as they didn't state which one) so our sell through for Xbox One should be pretty close. 

Wow, having only 3% or less margin of error from 5 consoles while not getting too much data from 2 of them is just amazing.

Good Job!

Last edited by eddy7eddy - on 24 December 2022

Around the Network
eddy7eddy said:
trunkswd said:

This report for 2021 includes Switch, PS5, PS4, Xbox Series and Xbox One. So Sony data is PS4 and PS5 added together and Microsoft is Xbox One and Xbox Series added together. I did some tweaks yesterday to our estimates. Switch and Xbox went from about 2 percent off to now more like 1 percent. And Sony from 3 to about 2 percent. I'll do more adjustments in the new year. But overall they wouldn't be anything big. 

One of the big changes was moving a lot of Xbox One sales for 2021 to 2020. Microsoft gave us combined lifetime Xbox Series and Xbox One sales (or shipped as they didn't state which one) so our sell through for Xbox One should be pretty close. 

Wow, having only 3% or less margin of error from 5 consoles while not getting too much data from 2 of them is just amazing.

Good Job!

Thank you!! I would love to be 100% right. But being that close makes me happy. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:

Microsoft shared the 2021 marketshare for Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft. Our estimates are within about a few percent or less for each, but I am going to do minor tweaks.

I thought VGC sales split betweeen consoles was a lot far off than this.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Any ETA on when the next weekly numbers arrive, and the schedule from here on out?
No pressure, please don't stress yourselves, just curious. :)

curl-6 said:

Any ETA on when the next weekly numbers arrive, and the schedule from here on out?
No pressure, please don't stress yourselves, just curious. :)

I'll post the next figures next week. We are still working out the schedule as Bandorr is working on some changes. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

I found an interesting thread on Gaf.
Here is the global sales data for 2021 from MS.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/2021-global-console-unit-sales-n-50-ps-34-xbox-16.1648487/

Othersources.https://www.fragster.com/microsoft-compares-xbox-console-sales-to-playstation-and-nintendo-switch-sales/

This is from Microsoft’s latest filing to the FTC. I thought it interesting as Xbox never releases console unit sales. With either Nintendo’s or PlayStation’s calendar 2021 numbers, then we would have Xbox’s. I’m a bit surprised at the more than 2 to 1 ratio of PlayStation to Xbox, since (IIRC) some less credible sales sites had tweeted closer unit gaps which were liked by a Microsoft executive.

This means that the switch sold 47% more than the ps4 and ps5 combined, and the ps4 and ps5 combined sold more than twice as much as the xb1 and x series combined.

Oh I was mistaken.
I had put up the 2022 image.
My apologies.

Now it looks like the 2021 numbers have been corrected.

Last edited by Oneeee-Chan!!! - on 01 January 2023

That data from Microsoft was already posted if you scroll up a few posts and I've done some adjustments over the last couple of weeks to bring our estimates closer to the data posted. I will do more to get even closer. We were within a few percent before adjustments. BTW you posted 2022 estimates and not 2021.

Right now we have our estimates for 2021 at:

• NS: 24.60M
  • PS5: 12.73M
  • PS4: 2.43M
    • PS5+PS4: 15.16M
  • XS: 8.16M
  • X1: 0.16M
    • XS+X1: 8.32M

Current 2021 Marketshare:

• NS: 51.16% (1.16% higher)
  • PS4+PS4: 31.52% (2.48% lower)
  • XS+X1: 17.32% (1.32% higher)

It is possible Microsoft rounded the percent. So Switch could be 49.50% to 50.49%, PS5+PS4 33.50% to 34.49%, and XS+X1 15.50% to 16.49%.

Last edited by trunkswd - on 01 January 2023

trunkswd said:

That data from Microsoft was already posted if you scroll up a few posts and I've done some adjustments over the last couple of weeks to bring our estimates closer to the data posted. I will do more to get even closer. We were within a few percent before adjustments. BTW you posted 2022 estimates and not 2021.

Right now we have our estimates for 2021 at:

• NS: 24.60M
  • PS5: 12.73M
  • PS4: 2.43M
    • PS5+PS4: 15.16M
  • XS: 8.16M
  • X1: 0.16M
    • XS+X1: 8.32M

Current 2021 Marketshare:

• NS: 51.16% (1.16% higher)
  • PS4+PS4: 31.52% (2.48% lower)
  • XS+X1: 17.32% (1.32% higher)

It is possible Microsoft rounded the percent. So Switch could be 49.50% to 50.49%, PS5+PS4 33.50% to 34.49%, and XS+X1 15.50% to 16.49%.

Yes I made a mistake.
But you would have also corrected the 2021 numbers.
Probably as I wanted.

By the way, let's compare the figures for 2022 with those for 2021.

⬆2022.

⬇2021.

Last edited by Oneeee-Chan!!! - on 01 January 2023