By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

I'll wait on Gamepass or a bargain bin discount to play Suicide Squad, if I play it at all.

Around the Network

"Microsoft has also shut down departments dedicated to bringing Xbox games to physical retail ... which if you've seen the digital-only Xbox console leaks ... well, you can get an idea of where Microsoft is going here," says Corden.

+

Mat Piscatella (NPD) claiming that Xbox physical spending on software is below 10%.

=

In the near future, you cant buy physical copies of games for xbox platforms anymore.

How do people here feel about this?

Even a current game like Hellblade 2, won't have a physical release.

JRPGfan said:

"Microsoft has also shut down departments dedicated to bringing Xbox games to physical retail ... which if you've seen the digital-only Xbox console leaks ... well, you can get an idea of where Microsoft is going here," says Corden.

+

Mat Piscatella (NPD) claiming that Xbox physical spending on software is below 10%.

=

In the near future, you cant buy physical copies of games for xbox platforms anymore.

I think the future of physical on Xbox series pretty much depends on whether MS is going ahead with the digital only Series X. Half of Series consoles sold don't have a disc drive already. The combination of Series S and Gamepass has driven Xbox physical game sales into the ground. If they do go ahead with that leaked Series X "adorably all digital" model then physical on Xbox is done.

Zippy6 said:
JRPGfan said:

+

=

I think the future of physical on Xbox series pretty much depends on whether MS is going ahead with the digital only Series X. Half of Series consoles sold don't have a disc drive already. The combination of Series S and Gamepass has driven Xbox physical game sales into the ground. If they do go ahead with that leaked Series X "adorably all digital" model then physical on Xbox is done.

Jez Corden is basically saying, that its not a "if" anymore.
Its done. New Xbox hardware wont have physical anymore.

Even on playstation its only around ~40%.
However Xbox, its apparently below 10%.

I can see xbox just doing away with it completely.

Not the same dev obviously, but I had much more fun with Gotham Knights as I would've thought so maybe Suicide Squad can surprise me too! (when it comes to Game Pass that is)

Around the Network

Money maker or not, I always thought the CoD studios were bloated. If I had to lay off people, it would be in one of those studios. More people doesn't make a better game.

Barozi said:

Money maker or not, I always thought the CoD studios were bloated. If I had to lay off people, it would be in one of those studios. More people doesn't make a better game.

Yeah but some studios got hit hard tho, especially non cod studios like Toys for bob that lost like 40% of their staff.

Making games like Crash 4 seems impossible to do now with a staff thats like less than 50 people...while people hoped the staff would grow and more projects could be worked on.

I gave in and now bought Palworld on Steam and this version is doing much better. No crash, far less glitches, better visuals, far more options. OK, now I know the secret how to be a success on Gamepass and still sell well: make the Gamepass version slightly broken, but not so much it impacts the fun and turns people away.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

JRPGfan said:
Zippy6 said:

Jez Corden is basically saying, that its not a "if" anymore.
Its done. New Xbox hardware wont have physical anymore.

Even on playstation its only around ~40%.
However Xbox, its apparently below 10%.

I can see xbox just doing away with it completely.

It's been pretty obvious that this would be the last generation of physical since before it released and that the Next Box/PS6 would be completely digital with the Switch 2 likely to be the last bastion of physical games unless Nintendo pulls something crazy and goes digitally only but I'm still expecting Switch 2 to have physical games.

We have other physical media like Vinyl's and blu-ray still going strong but they have open hardware that anyone can make opposed to when Microsoft and Sony pull the plug the option disappears and also that with gaming the end product is the same wether you install digital or from disc compared to blu-ray where the end product is still superior to the streaming/digital version by providing uncompressed video and audio.

As someone who buys as many games possible as physical it's disappointing but the writing has been on the well for a decade now with how quickly the PC market moved to digital and a digital only future basically doubles the cost buying games at launch instantly but all that means is I wait longer to buy and give publishes even less money than I do now by raiding the bargain bin because I never buy into hype trains or get fomo so I get to game on my own timeline.

JRPGfan said:

+

=

I'm fine with that, I have over 450 games for my Xbox and not a single one is physical - 100% digital.