By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - God of War Ragnarok reviews in!

Are you getting GoW Ragnarok?

Yes, was always going to. 46 68.66%

Yes, now that I see the reviews are so good. 0 0%

Yes, but I’ll wait for a price drop. 10 14.93%

Yes, I’m buying a PS5 for this game. 0 0%

No 11 16.42%

Total:67
smroadkill15 said:
Runa216 said:

Lovely, and with 111 reviews out there it'll be hard even for the inevitable troll reviews to move the dial much. (You know, the publications that have some weird thing for giving all or most of sony's first party games 4-6/10 while innocently giving all Xbox/Nintendo first party games 9s and 10s. like Stevior.)

You simply can't help yourself, can you? Gotta make everything into console wars, even though you apparently hate console wars. If you don't agree with a review, move on. GoW: Ragnarok is phenomenal and the fact you let 1 or 2 negative reviews get you upset instead of focusing the hundreds of positives is sad. Stevivor hasn't even released a review for the game and you're already talking about it like they gave it a bad review. The site gave the last God of War game an 8/10 so I'm not sure you know what you're talking about. 

Btw, I'm very happy for SSM. They delivered an exceptional well-made game. 

You must not have heard of Stevior. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
smroadkill15 said:
Runa216 said:

Lovely, and with 111 reviews out there it'll be hard even for the inevitable troll reviews to move the dial much. (You know, the publications that have some weird thing for giving all or most of sony's first party games 4-6/10 while innocently giving all Xbox/Nintendo first party games 9s and 10s. like Stevior.)

You simply can't help yourself, can you? Gotta make everything into console wars, even though you apparently hate console wars. If you don't agree with a review, move on. GoW: Ragnarok is phenomenal and the fact you let 1 or 2 negative reviews get you upset instead of focusing the hundreds of positives is sad. Stevivor hasn't even released a review for the game and you're already talking about it like they gave it a bad review. The site gave the last God of War game an 8/10 so I'm not sure you know what you're talking about. 

You mean they gave 14 points below the average for a critical acclaim? What do you think of their Death Stranding review?

This is a summary of where Stevivor was oddly above meta for Xbox and below for PS. The best cases

HFW 23 below, U:LT 22 below, DS R 17 below, BB 16 below (curiously the 2 souls game that were exclusive are majorly below meta, but the multiplat are very near it), GoT 13 below, TLOU2 13 below, DS 47 BELOW, DG 11 below, GoW2018 14 below.

Halo Infinite 8 above (and he said he wanted to give 100, but decided to hold because he saw 2 or 3 issues on the game, and later said he would reduce to like 65 because his 95 was based on he giving a good faith score believing the post-launch would be great and now he saw it wasn't), FH5 8 above (but no problem here since a 10 for a game you love is ok), Bleeding Edge 14 above, SoD2 14 above.

Can you with a straight face tell use SoD2 and BE is better than HFW, ULT, DSR, BB, GoT, DS, DG and equal to TLOU2 and GoW?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Kyuu said:

2 or 3 point difference on Metacrtic has little effect on The Game Awards GOTY, because The Game Awards's reception is limited to a smaller number of publications (that are deemed more important), and the shared "10's" Elden Ring and Ragnarok got do not tell the whole story. It's possible that Ragnarok impressed the relevant reviewers more, but this wasn't expressed as a number because "10" was the limit. Furthermore, the reviewer's score doesn't necessarily reflect the opinion of the entire publication/website. Elden Ring may have mostly been reviewed by souls fans, vs Ragnarok possibly resonating better with players outside the main fanbase.

Nevertheless I'm still betting and rooting for Elden Ring to win coz I thought God of War 2018 was overrated, and I consider Miyazaki and FromSoftware to be peak modern gaming. I won't throw a tantrum at Ragnarok winning though!

As for opening sales, as far as I can tell Playstation is still suffering from active PS4 software buyers declining faster than PS5 adoption rate. I'm therefore sceptical it can break TLoU2 Part 2's record. Not sure it will beat GoW 2018's 3.1 million either. But legs/lifetime sales is a different story.

I can't consider From Software to be the peak of modern gaming mainly because their performance is all over the place, erratic framerate and pacing even on strong PC HW, while the graphics isn't top notch as well. I would say they have to many shortcomings that are overlooked because they are almost the single provider of the experience they go for so not much competition on it (but their product being your favorite is no problem at all).

Fair argument. The technical issues and stutter on PC are a primary reason why I didn't play Elden Ring yet.

Kyuu said:
DonFerrari said:

I can't consider From Software to be the peak of modern gaming mainly because their performance is all over the place, erratic framerate and pacing even on strong PC HW, while the graphics isn't top notch as well. I would say they have to many shortcomings that are overlooked because they are almost the single provider of the experience they go for so not much competition on it (but their product being your favorite is no problem at all).

Fair argument. The technical issues and stutter on PC are a primary reason why I didn't play Elden Ring yet.

But I can sure agree that on their niche they are unmatched and they have only been growing and improving on it, now they just need to get expertise on smoothing and polishing the game.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
smroadkill15 said:

You mean they gave 14 points below the average for a critical acclaim? What do you think of their Death Stranding review?

This is a summary of where Stevivor was oddly above meta for Xbox and below for PS. The best cases

HFW 23 below, U:LT 22 below, DS R 17 below, BB 16 below (curiously the 2 souls game that were exclusive are majorly below meta, but the multiplat are very near it), GoT 13 below, TLOU2 13 below, DS 47 BELOW, DG 11 below, GoW2018 14 below.

Halo Infinite 8 above (and he said he wanted to give 100, but decided to hold because he saw 2 or 3 issues on the game, and later said he would reduce to like 65 because his 95 was based on he giving a good faith score believing the post-launch would be great and now he saw it wasn't), FH5 8 above (but no problem here since a 10 for a game you love is ok), Bleeding Edge 14 above, SoD2 14 above.

Can you with a straight face tell use SoD2 and BE is better than HFW, ULT, DSR, BB, GoT, DS, DG and equal to TLOU2 and GoW?

I'm not here to defend Stevivor or any of their reviews. I'm saying, ignore the damn reviews you don't agree with. I'm sure if I did some real research, I could find a reviewer(s) that gives most PS games all 9-10 and most Xbox games 6-8 scores. Getting upset over 1 reviewer giving scores less than the average is not worth getting upset over. 

Also, not every score is weighted the same. An indie game that scores a 9 and a AAA titles like GoT can score 8.5, but that doesn't mean the indie game is better. The only Xbox title that scored certainly higher marks than it deserved was Bleeding Edge from the list you gave.

This comparison list is also missing some notable games from both Xbox and PS:

Sea of Thieves 4/10
Crackdown 4/10
Battletoads 5.5/10
Killer Instinct 7.5/10
Gears of war 4 8/10

Spider-man 9.5/10
Miles Morales 9.5/10
Uncharted 4 9.5/10
Horizon Zero Dawn The Frozen Wilds 9/10
InFamous Second son 8/10
Shadow of the Colossus 8.5/10

Basically, the comparison list you showed is nitpicked and if included every Xbox/PS game, it defeats the narrative that's been created. 

Around the Network

Nice. I will buy it eventually. I am in no rush with my massive backlog of games to play.

Also I still can't believe they are ending the Norse saga after just 2 games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

smroadkill15 said:
DonFerrari said:

I'm not here to defend Stevivor or any of their reviews. I'm saying, ignore the damn reviews you don't agree with. I'm sure if I did some real research, I could find a reviewer(s) that gives most PS games all 9-10 and most Xbox games 6-8 scores. Getting upset over 1 reviewer giving scores less than the average is not worth getting upset over. 

Also, not every score is weighted the same. An indie game that scores a 9 and a AAA titles like GoT can score 8.5, but that doesn't mean the indie game is better. The only Xbox title that scored certainly higher marks than it deserved was Bleeding Edge from the list you gave.

Sea of Thieves 4/10
Crackdown 4/10
Battletoads 5.5/10
Killer Instinct 7.5/10
Gears of war 4 8/10

Spider-man 9.5/10
Miles Morales 9.5/10
Uncharted 4 9.5/10
InFamous Second son 8/10

Basically, the comparison list you showed is nitpicked and if included every Xbox/PS game, it defeats the narrative that's been created. 

It isn't ignoring reviews we don't agree, it is reviews that aren't professional. Sure there are reviewers that are biased against Xbox, and they shouldn't be included in metacritic as well. Stevivor also gone on and on complaining Sony blacklisted him and doesn't send him free codes for review anymore. From the list you agree with SoD2 score then?

Ok, let's see the deviation for the titles you brought

For MS

Sea of Thieves meta 69, so he is 29 below

Crackdown 3 meta 60, so he is 20 below

Battletoads meta 72, 17 below

Killer Instinct meta 73, 2 above3

GoW 4 meta 84, 4 below

For Sony

SM 87, 8 above

SM:MM 85, 10 above

UC4 93, 2 above (since he doesn't give 0.1 scores, this is basically tie)

HZD:FW 83, 7 above

ISS 80, tie

SoC 91, 6 below

So for me even with the inclusions it seems to still be more in favor to Xbox. And on twitter seems like all the suggestions when on his profile is related to Xbox.

smroadkill15 said:

Sea of Thieves 4/10
Crackdown 4/10
Battletoads 5.5/10
Killer Instinct 7.5/10
Gears of war 4 8/10

Spider-man 9.5/10
Miles Morales 9.5/10
Uncharted 4 9.5/10
InFamous Second son 8/10

We're literally talking about Meta scores, I'm not pretending I care about their scores of Stevior PERSONALLY, just that they tend to have quite the impact on the meta and there's a clear bias. 

Yes, there are a handful of exceptions. There always are. But you had to go back to the beginning of the PS4 era to find 5 games they reviewed fairly. InFamous Second son got 8/10 across the board. Shadow of the Colossus got 92. All of these reviews were simply 'on par' or 'within range' of the average. While they have notoriously given a bunch of PS games that were well-liked middling scores and a lot of Xbox games that were mediocrely reviewed high scores. Showing that sometimes they also review games with a score closer to the average does not devalue the point made. They still generally give higher scores to Xbox games and lower scores to PS games. 

WHICH IS FINE. But it's a clear bias that I'm expecting to see. They're called troll reviews because we're all well aware that they're there for attention first and foremost. They may very well be what the reviewer actually believes, but showing such a blatant bias sitewide is pretty unprofessional. 

And cut it out with this 'you're just stoking the flames of console wars' nonsense. some of my favourite games of this year and past years are Ori, Tunic, and Cuphead, all games associated primarily with the Xbox Brand. Like I said, I personally wouldn't review many Xbox games right now becuase pretty much all they're releasing anymore is Halo, Gears, and Forza, none of which I find all that appealing. But I also acknowledge that and I'm an individual, not a website, so I wouldn't be seeking those reviews. An individual having a preference is also quite fine, but when it's a whole website? Not really professional. 

Even OutsideXbox and OutsideXtra on youtube praise Sony and Nintendo games. Even Phil Spencer praises Sony and Nintendo when they do well. THAT is professionalism. What Stevior does is clear bias.

Last edited by Runa216 - on 08 November 2022

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

If anyone wants to watch Jacksepticeye in the first 2 hours of the game. I don't because I'll be playing the game tonight but still, some might!

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

This will be my last comment in this thread because I don't want to derail it. My point is, I don't see nearly the bias some are claiming. Especially when you post a very cherry-picked comparison. Breaking down the point difference between meta and their review score is trivial when everything based on personal opinions/experiences. Once again, ignore the scores you don't agree with.

Runa, you stoke the flames way more than you want to admit.

Last edited by smroadkill15 - on 08 November 2022