By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - God of War Ragnarok reviews in!

Are you getting GoW Ragnarok?

Yes, was always going to. 46 68.66%

Yes, now that I see the reviews are so good. 0 0%

Yes, but I’ll wait for a price drop. 10 14.93%

Yes, I’m buying a PS5 for this game. 0 0%

No 11 16.42%

Total:67
Runa216 said:
Qwark said:

It won't be the game of the year, because of Elden Ring, but SMS did deliver big time.

while I kinda agree, keep in mind God of War 2018 beat RDR2 and RDR2 had even better reviews than Elden Ring. 

And Sony's own Spider-Man too! Even if Ragnarok was better than GoW 2018 by a marginal amount, that would still be saying a huge amount considering how universally praised that game was! 

Thankfully, seems like Ragnarok is surpassing the 2018 game considerably

Around the Network
Qwark said:

It won't be the game of the year, because of Elden Ring, but SMS did deliver big time.

GOW 2018 beat rdr2 for goty which had a 97 on meta, it's also worth noting that gow ragnarok has over 30 more reviewers than elden ring

BOY! Those are great reviews! I do hope the PS4 version holds up well since I'm still PS5-less.

Signature goes here!

TheLegendaryBigBoss said:
Qwark said:

GOW 2018 beat rdr2 for goty which had a 97 on meta, it's also worth noting that gow ragnarok has over 30 more reviewers than elden ring

Oh man, you’re right. That’s not insignificant. Still wouldn’t have taken GoWR up to the 96 of Elden Ring, but it very well could have put it at 95. I took a screenshot of the score for GoWR after 73 reviews, and it was at 95. Didn’t see anything after that until it hit 111 and went down to 94.

Wow, that is a great score. I loved the 2018 version and i honestly cant wait to play this.

Around the Network

Awesome to see and most likely well deserved. I was already super excited for this, but still good to see it performing well with critics.

As for the GotY discussion, I honestly believe Elden Ring still has a huge advantage by it being the year's big new phenomenon and by being viewed as FromSoftware's best work yet, while it sounds like Ragnarök is more so matching its predecessor (at least in the eyes of critics this seems to be the case). Elden Ring will probably also get credit for being more innovative, which isn't entirely untrue, though it is still pretty much 3/4 Dark Souls in my eyes.

I'm sure both will win some GotY awards though, but Elden Ring will probably reap a good deal more.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

TheLegendaryBigBoss said:
Qwark said:

Thats what people dont see about the awards. Cuz at the end off all this ragnarok will be reviewed by at least double the amount of critics than elden ring. All whom will vote for the awards. God of war just has more mass appeal than from soft games.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

rapsuperstar31 said:
Blood_Tears said:

Game of the Year at next months Game Awards is going to be tight between GoW:R and Elden Ring.

While I haven't and wont play Elden Ring, I would be surprised if God of War wins it.  God of War will easily be my personal game of they year followed by Horizon FW and Kirby ATFL.  If God of War wins it will be more than likely be recency bias, but I'm all for it winning if it deserves it.

GoW has the recency bias gfoing for it, while Elden Ring came out back in February.
But Elden Ring has that 'new fresh take on the franchise' going for it (which GoW had in 2018), while to a large degree Ragnarok appears to be more of the same of what people loved with the previous game.

I expect Elden Ring to win mainly for that reason.
But perhaps I'll change my mind after playing Ragnarok.

TruckOSaurus said:

BOY! Those are great reviews! I do hope the PS4 version holds up well since I'm still PS5-less.

Luckily I managed to snag a PS5 in late September, but talking PS4 even if Ragnarok was mostly GOW 2018 from a graphics standpoint with whatever new  features they have come up with thrown on top  I would be happy, what about you guys what would meet your expectations.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Idk if there’s a poll on it, but I predict 5 million copies sold in the first 3 days, breaking PS Studios record! Especially considering with it being on 2 platforms.