By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bayonetta OG Voice Actress Calls For Boycott of Bayonetta 3

Shatts said:
theRepublic said:

Good article, but I don't get the part where they are talking about using VGChartz to add up the sales figures to 7.5 million.  You only get 3.57 million doing that.  It just makes no sense at all how she came up with $450 million.

The only thing I can guess is that Taylor googled Bayonetta’s sales, used VGChartz — which has always been an estimation at best — added up every number on there including the redundant ones, and came to 7.5 million sales. Then she multiplied that by $60 and got $450,000,000. There’s so many reasons that doesn’t make sense to do, but it’s the most generous possible interpretation of that number.

Yeah I just checked and they didn't see under the console tab. "All" is total to 3m-ish like u said. Hellena Taylor included, maybe they added every single one not checking the platform. Bcuz if u add up everything it totals to about 7.5m. Remember Hellena Taylor is not a gamer at all, she doesn't play games not even Bayonetta until 2019ish according to an interview at Expo 2019. She wouldn't know what platforms or console means.

Now it's very possible the assumption of the article is wrong and she didn't use VGChartz estimate. But I think it made the most sense how she got the $450m+ like the article explained. However, I said this before, there's also a high possibility she added the Movie and Pachinko slot revenue although I don't know how she got those numbers. I doubt Sega would share those numbers even if she's the main VA, but maybe they provided residues for previous Bayonetta works and that's how she estimated. We don't know the behind the scenes nor the actual details of the contract so VGChartz estimate makes the most sense from our perspective. 

Ok, I just saw a screen shot of that page that showed the overall franchise at the top of the page with a number.  On my screen when I look it up that entry just shows "N/A" for some reason.  Not sure why it is displaying differently for different users.  But that explains why the number is nearly doubled.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network
Shatts said:
theRepublic said:

Good article, but I don't get the part where they are talking about using VGChartz to add up the sales figures to 7.5 million.  You only get 3.57 million doing that.  It just makes no sense at all how she came up with $450 million.

The only thing I can guess is that Taylor googled Bayonetta’s sales, used VGChartz — which has always been an estimation at best — added up every number on there including the redundant ones, and came to 7.5 million sales. Then she multiplied that by $60 and got $450,000,000. There’s so many reasons that doesn’t make sense to do, but it’s the most generous possible interpretation of that number.

Yeah I just checked and they didn't see under the console tab. "All" is total to 3m-ish like u said. Hellena Taylor included, maybe they added every single one not checking the platform. Bcuz if u add up everything it totals to about 7.5m. Remember Hellena Taylor is not a gamer at all, she doesn't play games not even Bayonetta until 2019ish according to an interview at Expo 2019. She wouldn't know what platforms or console means.

Now it's very possible the assumption of the article is wrong and she didn't use VGChartz estimate. But I think it made the most sense how she got the $450m+ like the article explained. However, I said this before, there's also a high possibility she added the Movie and Pachinko slot revenue although I don't know how she got those numbers. I doubt Sega would share those numbers even if she's the main VA, but maybe they provided residues for previous Bayonetta works and that's how she estimated. We don't know the behind the scenes nor the actual details of the contract so VGChartz estimate makes the most sense from our perspective. 

Taylor: *Checking VGChartz*
"The series has made HOW much!!?? Wow, I should ask for a lot more money then."

*11 months later*

Taylor: *Sitting by the phone*
"Strange, I haven't heard back from them in a long time. I bet they're just counting all that money they made and will get back to me aaaany day now."

Moral of the story: VGChartz ruined Hellena Taylor's career.

A terf/blue lives mattered suporter lied?! Shocked I tell y...ok not that shocked. Not shocked at all. Expected.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

psychicscubadiver said:
sc94597 said:

A pay check that likely exists in its current state because your (and mine, and most working people's ancestors in the U.S and even more so in other developed countries) fought with literal blood and sweat to have intervention in the labor market. 

I can only speak for myself but my profession has never had a union and I still get a great pay check. It does require a license and have a licensing board, but there is no form of collective bargaining and we've still come out just fine by depending on market forces to set our pay rate.

Unions affect the wages of people who don't work in them. See: https://apwu.org/news/new-report-proves-how-unions-raise-bar-all-workers

Chrkeller said:
sc94597 said:

A pay check that likely exists in its current state because your (and mine, and most working people's ancestors in the U.S and even more so in other developed countries) fought with literal blood and sweat to have intervention in the labor market. 

Or likely I got an advance degree in STEM which is highly desired, thus pays well.  If people want to make a lot of money, pick a field that pays.  I have friends who pick hobbies for their "career" and complain they are poor.  Supply and demand.

Again, this only works if you assume: 

1. No knowledge asymmetries. Real-world labor markets are ridden with knowledge asymmetries. Predicting what the supply and demand of particular labor markets will be eight-twelve years from when you make a career-path decision, especially if you're going off outdated information, is not much less speculation than any other part of the economy. This is also true if you have very few social resources to help you. Monopolies of knowledge are real. For example this focus on STEM. Most STEM degrees aren't "highly desired" and "thus pays well." Especially when we talk about STEM fields that deal with fundamental knowledge that is far from a practical implementation and capital concentrations, like the Natural Sciences as an example

(I am an example of somebody who went from a Physics B.A -> M.S Data Analytics because there weren't professors retiring and academia is not a good career path these days. This is despite being accepted for a Physics PhD program.) 

2. An absence of market failures, like monopsonies. A lot of critical work like: transportation, home health care, warehouse work, etc. exists in regions where a local monopsony or oligopsony exist and therefore suppresses wages to subsistence levels. This work must be done. The idea that the monopsony or oligopsony should be left to its own devices is not something most people are comfortable and it is a solidly right-wing view to argue that labor monopsonies or oligopsony should persist. Especially when they are less efficient and have deadweight losses.  

3. Equality in primary, secondary, and tertiary educational opportunity. This doesn't exist in the United States. Different school districts have very different education qualities. Arguing that somebody who had poor primary and/or secondary education should just pursue a difficult degree and if they can't they should live in poverty is unethical in so much as those inequalities persist.

4. Capital is being appropriately invested by capitalists and labor market demand reflects real consumer demand. On the other-hand, we see many scenarios in our economy of malinvestment by capitalists being forgiven by bailouts/cost-shifting. Since capital is so concentrated, and there are adverse incentives introduced by cost-shifting, how do we know that the current demand curve represents what it would be without this cost-shifting? Why are the poor decisions of a capitalist a social problem where the risks are socialized but not that of an 18 year old deciding a career path? 

All of these are reasons why it makes sense to not just allow pure supply and demand to take place in labor markets. There has to be some degree of insulation and protection of the working class if we are to allow capitalism to persist as the dominant social relationship of production.

Last edited by sc94597 - on 24 October 2022

Oh man. I haven't been here in years, and I had a flashback when people mentioned Bayonetta 3's 450 million dollars worth was probably based on VGChartz. I still see some old faces, at least.

Around the Network

Well she hasn't worked in the voice industry since 2014, I think it's going to be quite awhile before she gets another opportunity.

Damn, she really shot herself in the foot here...

Wow...what an incredible liar. She even had me for a while. Welp, just goes to show you to wait for the whole story before jumping to conclusions.

shikamaru317 said:

This woman has been exposed as a total fraud now, basically admitted she lied today, while still claiming she didn't lie. No smart studio will work with her after this for fear of her calling for a boycott of their game if she isn't happy with the pay. What sucks is that her lies hurt the other VA's looking for fair pay relative to other acting professions, as well as Platinum, who was just working within the budget allotted to them by Nintendo.

No other studios work with her anyway.  Her last video game voice acting job that wasn't Bayonetta was for Dragon Age: Origins in 2009.

And that is the part I don't get.  This is a job that is made up of short gigs.  Most voice actors take multiple jobs each year.  Looking at Jennifer Hale's credits, it looks like she does at least 8 jobs a year, and most years quite a bit more than that.

So when Hellena Taylor says, "I was just asking for a fair, living wage in line with the value that I bring to this game," I have no idea what this is supposed to mean.  This isn't a year-long salaried position.  This is a 1 week gig.  And I hate to break it to her, but voice acting is probably the least important part of a game unless it is something like a visual novel.  I am willing to bet a lot of gamers would agree with that opinion.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Hiku said:
Shatts said:

Taylor: *Checking VGChartz*
"The series has made HOW much!!?? Wow, I should ask for a lot more money then."

*11 months later*

Taylor: *Sitting by the phone*
"Strange, I haven't heard back from them in a long time. I bet they're just counting all that money they made and will get back to me aaaany day now."

Moral of the story: VGChartz ruined Hellena Taylor's career.

tbh thats the funniest shit, good one

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.