By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bayonetta OG Voice Actress Calls For Boycott of Bayonetta 3

I read that Charles Martinet got paid 250,000$ for his work in Super Mario Galaxy 2. Thats a pretty nice paycheck.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:

I read that Charles Martinet got paid 250,000$ for his work in Super Mario Galaxy 2. Thats a pretty nice paycheck.

And LeBron gets paid 40 million to pay a game.  Supply and demand includes talent.

Chrkeller said:
KLXVER said:

And LeBron gets paid 40 million to pay a game.  Supply and demand includes talent.

Again, do we really want to go down the path of suggesting that wages be directly determined by labor market forces? Especially given that there are many market failures in the labor market (i.e labor monopsonies/oligopsonies, knowledge asymmetries, disproportionate bargaining power, principal-agent problems, etc.) 

In the most affluent and thriving societies remuneration has been partially pulled out of and insulated from labor markets through systems like tripartism and codetermination. In the U.S this insulation used to occur through the proliferation of ESOP (stock profit-sharing) which were common in the 60's-early 80's in union shops. 

Neoliberalism, probably the largest blight in the western political-economies, is responsible for the disintegration of the mildly social capitalist post-war economic system in the U.S and aims to do the same in much of Europe. 

Supporting raw capitalism in labor markets (which is what arguing that wages should be determined directly from supply and demand does) is not a centrist or "apolitical" belief, but a pretty entrenched right-wing one.  

sc94597 said:
Chrkeller said:

Again, do we really want to go down the path of suggesting that wages be directly determined by labor market forces? Especially given that there are many market failures in the labor market (i.e labor monopsonies/oligopsonies, knowledge asymmetries, disproportionate bargaining power, principal-agent problems, etc.) 

In the most affluent and thriving societies remuneration has been partially pulled out of and insulated from labor markets through systems like tripartism and codetermination. In the U.S this insulation used to occur through the proliferation of ESOP (stock profit-sharing) which were common in the 60's-early 80's in union shops. 

Neoliberalism, probably the largest blight in the western political-economies, is responsible for the disintegration of the mildly social capitalist post-war economic system in the U.S and aims to do the same in much of Europe. 

Supporting raw capitalism in labor markets (which is what arguing that wages should be determined directly from supply and demand does) is not a centrist or "apolitical" belief, but a pretty entrenched right-wing one.  

For me, yes.  I like my pay check and feel the need to share it with others.  

Shatts said:

I found this randomly on Twitter and I think this person explained this situation the best. I recommend everyone here to read it if u have the time, it's very logical and well written. It's more than just describing the situation of this incident, I think it also explains the detailed parts well that a lot of us discussed here.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/everything-once-73616074?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=postshare_creator

Good article, but I don't get the part where they are talking about using VGChartz to add up the sales figures to 7.5 million.  You only get 3.57 million doing that.  It just makes no sense at all how she came up with $450 million.

The only thing I can guess is that Taylor googled Bayonetta’s sales, used VGChartz — which has always been an estimation at best — added up every number on there including the redundant ones, and came to 7.5 million sales. Then she multiplied that by $60 and got $450,000,000. There’s so many reasons that doesn’t make sense to do, but it’s the most generous possible interpretation of that number.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:

For me, yes.  I like my pay check and feel the need to share it with others.  

A pay check that likely exists in its current state because your (and mine, and most working people's ancestors in the U.S and even more so in other developed countries) fought with literal blood and sweat to have intervention in the labor market. 

theRepublic said:
Shatts said:

I found this randomly on Twitter and I think this person explained this situation the best. I recommend everyone here to read it if u have the time, it's very logical and well written. It's more than just describing the situation of this incident, I think it also explains the detailed parts well that a lot of us discussed here.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/everything-once-73616074?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=postshare_creator

Good article, but I don't get the part where they are talking about using VGChartz to add up the sales figures to 7.5 million.  You only get 3.57 million doing that.  It just makes no sense at all how she came up with $450 million.

The only thing I can guess is that Taylor googled Bayonetta’s sales, used VGChartz — which has always been an estimation at best — added up every number on there including the redundant ones, and came to 7.5 million sales. Then she multiplied that by $60 and got $450,000,000. There’s so many reasons that doesn’t make sense to do, but it’s the most generous possible interpretation of that number.

Yeah I just checked and they didn't see under the console tab. "All" is total to 3m-ish like u said. Hellena Taylor included, maybe they added every single one not checking the platform. Bcuz if u add up everything it totals to about 7.5m. Remember Hellena Taylor is not a gamer at all, she doesn't play games not even Bayonetta until 2019ish according to an interview at Expo 2019. She wouldn't know what platforms or console means.

Now it's very possible the assumption of the article is wrong and she didn't use VGChartz estimate. But I think it made the most sense how she got the $450m+ like the article explained. However, I said this before, there's also a high possibility she added the Movie and Pachinko slot revenue although I don't know how she got those numbers. I doubt Sega would share those numbers even if she's the main VA, but maybe they provided residues for previous Bayonetta works and that's how she estimated. We don't know the behind the scenes nor the actual details of the contract so VGChartz estimate makes the most sense from our perspective. 

Last edited by Shatts - on 23 October 2022

So I understand the wave has pretty much settled and we've pretty much moved on. But Hellena Taylor appears to tweet again about the situation. Any thoughts?

She still doesn't provide any evidence (like how she got $450m), and she admits that she basically mislead us by making us think $4000 was the highest.

I'm glad to say my take on this whole thing was pretty much right all throughout. Like how it was odd she didn't say what the initial offer was and it could possibly be higher than $4000.

You know if she said all of that in the first place, she might have gotten support still. Maybe not as much as she did, but she could make an argument about how in the first two titles she was underpaid, how they used her lines in Smash, and how she wanted to be paid more than $10,000 - $15,000 in case they used her lines in other titles.

Instead she lied by omission.

Also I don't see how $10,000 for five days is insulting. That is well above the rates both of her unions bargain for. It is one thing to say it is too low, and another to say it is "insulting."

Notice how she never says what she asked for again. And quite honestly I don't have sympathy for her saying "I felt like I was going to be put out on the streets" when she definitely could've accepted the $15,000 offer.

Hell, she could've accepted that offer and then worked with her unions to bargain for residuals in future games.

Last edited by sc94597 - on 24 October 2022