By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GameStop will close all stores in Switzerland

GameStop will close all 14 stores in Switzerland/Europe due to strategical/economic reasons at the beginning of 2023.
In total 83 staff members are affected.

The argument is that the profitability in the physical business is more and more declining and the trend are streaming and download offers. GameStop wants to strengthen their online commerce.

Source: https://www.games.ch/schweiz/news/gamestop-schliesst-schweizer-khRh/

Around the Network

Sign of the times I guess...

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

So it'll finally honor its name and stop the games.

For few months theywere doomed for their lies about several older games trying to sell as new only for them to reach in the to get an opened game sell it to you saying it's new gamestop dead now that store no longer sell old game that are new sealed gamestop is trash I hate them they tried doing that to me again with tales of arise on PS5 a 2021 game it's not that old I wanted sealed not a opened new fake I said that game is opened arguments again for 6th visit to fix their policy on fake new games I leave the store and they wonder why gamestops are empty most of the time ots their false opened new games and overpriced trash used games.  we gamers are getting smarter and gamestop is gonna be dead sooner.

Thanks a lot, people who want a digital only future.

Around the Network

I wasn't aware Game Stop had shops in Europe

SKMBlake said:

I wasn't aware Game Stop had shops in Europe

They have about 900 stores across a few countries like Germany, France, and Italy, although many of them are still run under the French Micromania brand.

Love and tolerate.

This is a sad development. Digital only led to this. The Gamestop in my town closed a couple of months ago and the next one is 50km away - and will close next year as well. Fuck digital only and fuck your convenience. Oh, but I don't have to change discs/cards anymore. Shut it. People don't realise the long term negative effects of this shit, but will cry rivers once it's too late to come back. No more second hand market, no more trading and lending. Losing your downloaded games and saves whenever the holder decides to fuck you over. Digital only is a nightmare.

GoOnKid said:

This is a sad development. Digital only led to this. The Gamestop in my town closed a couple of months ago and the next one is 50km away - and will close next year as well. Fuck digital only and fuck your convenience. Oh, but I don't have to change discs/cards anymore. Shut it. People don't realise the long term negative effects of this shit, but will cry rivers once it's too late to come back. No more second hand market, no more trading and lending. Losing your downloaded games and saves whenever the holder decides to fuck you over. Digital only is a nightmare.

When all those digitial games start turning into nothing... it'll be too late to want physical back.

Sadly the digital to physical ratio is already too skewed on digital's favor, we are screwed.

BraLoD said:
GoOnKid said:

When all those digitial games start turning into nothing... it'll be too late to want physical back.

Sadly the digital to physical ratio is already too skewed on digital's favor, we are screwed.

Download and back up all your games and you have nothing to worry about (unless your house burns down by which point you probably have bigger problems than that). Saves also aren't cloud only, they are additionally saved on your device.