By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GameStop will close all stores in Switzerland

Barozi said:
BraLoD said:

Actually if the game need any kind of online check-in to be played you can kiss it goodbye even having it downloaded on your own console/pc. When the server go down it's just useless data on your drive.

There were some scares recently with Ubisoft games on Steam, if I recall it right.

AFAIK this is not exclusive to digital games. There are also physical games that become unplayable when servers shut down as these games require a connection to online servers.

And you are right. As far as games that absolutely need the online verification, it will usually be the same case for both physical and digital releases.

We already had classics becoming unplayable because they "expired" on PS3 store tho, even as I think it was fixed and the Ubisoft case with Assassin's Creed Liberation HD, which I think was also addressed already.

The thing is, there is always the possibility of the store going down bringing digital games with it, which is way harder (but not impossible) to happen when you have a physical copy of your game.

Well, to me the biggest point of interest is to collect, so yeah, my main reason is that, but physical games do seem a lot less prone to eventually giving a headache.