By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nvidia employee acknowledges Tegra 239 SoC rumored to be powering Switch 2

Norion said:
Soundwave said:

I mean the Switch itself was officially unveiled in late October 2016 and launched in the first week of March 2017. Which is basically like 4 months. And that was OK because Nintendo had nothing that holiday season anyway (Wii U was dead and 3DS was geriatric by that point). PS5 was officially unveiled in June 2020 and launched 5 months later in November. 

It's not the 1990s or 2000s anymore. Popular electronics being unveiled even a week before launch is normal for consumers (see Apple iPhone). 

4-5 month lead time is more than enough in the 2020s. 

You're going to piss off people who have just bought the older model at some point no matter what that's unavoidable, what difference does it really make if its late January or say April, that person's Switch they got for holiday that previous December is still going to be "new" in their eyes. 

It is possible the Switch's successor is announced not that long before launch but the PS5 doesn't really support your argument since while it was fully shown off in June 2020 it was announced and talked about quite a bit in 2019 so anyone paying a bit of attention knew well in advance the PS5 was coming late 2020.

Switch doesn't support the argument either, because its codename was announced in March 2015 and it was easy enough to figure that a 2016 launch was targeted due to the sales levels of the 3DS and Wii U. Furthermore, in April 2016 Nintendo confirmed that the launch was going to happen in March 2017.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

Around the Network

Yep. Hardware isn't announced and released months later. It doesn't work that way.



RolStoppable said:
Norion said:

It is possible the Switch's successor is announced not that long before launch but the PS5 doesn't really support your argument since while it was fully shown off in June 2020 it was announced and talked about quite a bit in 2019 so anyone paying a bit of attention knew well in advance the PS5 was coming late 2020.

Switch doesn't support the argument either, because its codename was announced in March 2015 and it was easy enough to figure that a 2016 launch was targeted due to the sales levels of the 3DS and Wii U. Furthermore, in April 2016 Nintendo confirmed that the launch was going to happen in March 2017.

I didn't remember those details off the top of my head but yeah neither support it. Nintendo might announce it not far from launch but with historical precedence it definitely can't be expected. 



We know it will be fast enough to run Nintendo games but will it be enough to run current gen games? Cyberpunk 2077, COD, Ass Creed? Nvidia better develop a chip set that isn't outdated in the first year. I'd say at least 12GB of RAM (better 16 like the steam deck), an 8-core CPU and a decent GPU with DLSS should to the trick.



RolStoppable said:
Norion said:

It is possible the Switch's successor is announced not that long before launch but the PS5 doesn't really support your argument since while it was fully shown off in June 2020 it was announced and talked about quite a bit in 2019 so anyone paying a bit of attention knew well in advance the PS5 was coming late 2020.

Switch doesn't support the argument either, because its codename was announced in March 2015 and it was easy enough to figure that a 2016 launch was targeted due to the sales levels of the 3DS and Wii U. Furthermore, in April 2016 Nintendo confirmed that the launch was going to happen in March 2017.

Switch reveal is how 90%+ of people found out about the product, believe it or not most consumers don't live on video game message boards or read Nintendo's financial year end statements. Nintendo announced "NX" in 2015, sure, but gave no idea of what the system was or any detail beyond the name "NX" which is like ok ... you're going to pre-order a system because you like the letters "N" and "X"? It was done more to appease stockholders at the time because Nintendo's stock was tanking on the Wii U's failures and they had to say we are working on the next system. 

For "Joe Average Consumer" the Switch was announced in late October and released the first week of March. So basically yes, a little over 4 months of actual marketing time. I doubt even 3% of Switch owners know if was initially announced under the codename "NX". October 2016 is the first time they saw anything about the system and could make a judgement on whether they wanted it or not. PS5 announced in June 2020 and launched in November 2020. Switch OLED announced in July 2021 and launched October 2021. 

Times have changed, you have a thing called social media these days which spreads information and news rapidly to people and since Apple made product unveils a mainstream news event more than a decade ago, news outlets pick up on a big product unveil instantly these days. 

Even 5 months I think is a longer than needed time span. iPhones get like a week of lead time, you don't need months and months and certainly not years of lead time to build "hype". People can look at a product on Youtube or their social media feed and decide very quickly if its something they want or not. 

Last edited by Soundwave - 2 days ago

Around the Network
Leynos said:

More likely rendered at 540P and upscaled to 1080P. Chip is roughly a base Xbox One.

Where are you getting this from? 

It seems highly unlikely that the Switch 2 is going to release with a chipset that is "roughly a base Xbox One." GCN 1.0 is pretty ancient compared to Ampere (about eight years older), this Switch 2 likely will have far faster memory (LPDDR5 > DDR3, and no the 32 MB of eSRAM doesn't totally make up for it), and of course a much better CPU than the Jaguar in the XBO. 

Even if we looked at theoretical performance of the rumored, hypothetical Switch Orin Chip, it is estimated to compute 1.9 FP32 TFLOPS, whereas the XBO only was estimated to compute 1.3 FP32 TFLOPS. And again, with the much better CPU, newer architecture, and better ram bandwidth this theoretical performance likely will be better realized in actual games. 

The Switch 2 likely won't be able to play at 4k, but 1080p (or close) and with DLSS 60fps (or higher) definitely is doable. 540p -> 1080p seems to only be a scenario that will happen for the seemingly inevitable Series S to Switch 2 ports, akin to what the Steam Deck does, but likely better if these specs are true or to improve battery life by running games at lower power settings. 

Last edited by sc94597 - 2 days ago

Switch was unveiled for marketing purposes on Oct. 20th, 2016 and launched on March. 4th, 2017 ... which is like 4 1/2 months of actual real marketing. I don't think Nintendo announcing NX in 2015 really means anything, they give zero details on the product or wouldn't even comment what kind of system it was or what games it would have, it was meant to appease stockholders that something other than the Wii U was coming and don't dump the stock please.

Switch Lite was unveiled July 10 and released on September 20th, 2019, basically 2 month gap there.

Switch OLED was unveiled July 6th, 2021 and released October 8th, 2021. About 3 months.

PS5 was unveiled on June 11th, 2020 and launched on November 12, so basically almost 5 months exactly from reveal to product launch. That's actually probably a more equivalent relevant for Switch because Switch (unlike the Wii U) is actually successful like the PS4 was, you don't want to announce a successor like 1+ year in advance or cut off a holiday season for no reason, that's just stupid. 

You really only announce game systems way in advance these days if you're existing system isn't doing that great (Wii U, even XBox One). If you have a very successful console you shouldn't be revealing a successor system or even a new model very far in advance any more because all you're doing is killing your own sales momentum, if you don't have sales momentum, then sure, announce away.

4 months even is plenty to build hype. All you really need is basically a good launch trailer and good launch titles these days, that basically is all the Switch had, Nintendo went from having a shitty brand rep with Wii U and even the 3DS not doing that great to only needing 4 months to build big hype for the Switch. It just takes a good launch trailer and a big ticket launch title and you're off to the races, it's not that much more complicated than that.



Soundwave said:

For "Joe Average Consumer" the Switch was announced in late October and released the first week of March. So basically yes, a little over 4 months of actual marketing time. I doubt even 3% of Switch owners know if was initially announced under the codename "NX". October 2016 is the first time they saw anything about the system and could make a judgement on whether they wanted it or not. PS5 announced in June 2020 and launched in November 2020. Switch OLED announced in July 2021 and launched October 2021. 

The early adopters are forum/twitter users though, or at least people who follow gaming news a bit more closely. Average consumers hardly buy a gaming console at launch, it's more expensive, has few games, it's sometimes harder to find at stores and sometimes it's just someone who is used to adopting late, people who buy consoles in the middle of their lifecycles since always and don't want to buy new hardware because their older hardware is still perfectly functional. 

Companies need to keep those gamers engaged and updated, they are the ones more likely to preorder hardware



I’m guessing Q1 2024 for the launch. By that point Ampere will be old, and therefore cheap.

Because of inflation, I think the launch price will be around $500. I believe it will be fully backward compatible with the original switch, and I believe it will use Nvidia specific features to boot performance/upscale the image of Switch 1 games.



IcaroRibeiro said:
Soundwave said:

For "Joe Average Consumer" the Switch was announced in late October and released the first week of March. So basically yes, a little over 4 months of actual marketing time. I doubt even 3% of Switch owners know if was initially announced under the codename "NX". October 2016 is the first time they saw anything about the system and could make a judgement on whether they wanted it or not. PS5 announced in June 2020 and launched in November 2020. Switch OLED announced in July 2021 and launched October 2021. 

The early adopters are forum/twitter users though, or at least people who follow gaming news a bit more closely. Average consumers hardly buy a gaming console at launch, it's more expensive, has few games, it's sometimes harder to find at stores and sometimes it's just someone who is used to adopting late, people who buy consoles in the middle of their lifecycles since always and don't want to buy new hardware because their older hardware is still perfectly functional. 

Companies need to keep those gamers engaged and updated, they are the ones more likely to preorder hardware

The amount of forum users is honestly overrated. The biggest forums like Resetera have like 50,000 registered users, and that isn't even active users, probably only about 30,000 of that are active regular posters. This forum is maybe a few thousand regular posters maybe. 

It's not like Nintendo gave any information, they just announced something called the NX and that it would be a dedicated game hardware, they would not comment on what it was, the hybrid nature, which games, what the hardware capability was, I don't think Nintendo even confirmed Nvidia was the chip supplier until October 2016. 

EDIT: Here's actually an article that explains why Nintendo had to announce NX at that time (March 2015) ... NX was announced at the same investors event where Nintendo announced they would be working with DeNA on cell phone games, they had to announce NX to reassure investors that they weren't leaving the gaming hardware business. 

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/mar/17/nintendo-new-gaming-hardware-platform-codenamed-nx

The announcement was made during a hastily convened press conference in Tokyo on Tuesday. The main purpose of the event was to explain Nintendo’s decision to enter the smartphone gaming market, via a partnership with smartphone games specialist DeNA.

However, Nintendo’s chief executive, Satoru Iwata, went on to announce the hardware platform in order to assuage fears that Nintendo may move away from manufacturing dedicated games machines.

You're not going to see 1+ year advance hardware announcements any more I don't think unless a system has really flopped because all you're doing by announcing a system that far in advance is undercutting sales and probably a holiday season of existing hardware and there's no point to doing that. 

4-5 months in the modern world is more than enough time to announce an electronics product and have it out for release. Cell phones get announced and are available the same week these days, even the old Apple cycle of announcing an iPhone and having it available maybe 6 weeks later is too much lead time these days. Switch, Switch OLED, Switch Lite, Playstation 5 are all basically 3-5 months from actual product reveal to being on store shelves. 

Last edited by Soundwave - 2 days ago