By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Top 5 greatest ever (and worst ever) Zelda game names

Tagged games:

I like "Tears of the Kingdom".

Around the Network

Come on, the worst name has got to be A Link to the Past. Are we sending Link back in time or what? That game doesn't even include time traveling lmao.

A Link to the Past, the localized name of Triforce of the Gods, was named such because it takes place before the original Zelda games.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Maybe I'll grow on me but for now I agree that Tears of the Kingdom doesn't exactly roll of the tongue and is one of the worst sounding names (the bar is pretty high tho since I like most of the names).

I think Zelda II: Adventures of Link is my least favorite, because it's so inconsistent with the rest of the series.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

mZuzek said:

2nd best: Breath of the Wild
It just sounds beautiful, really. Great ring to it, perfectly sells what the game is about without needing to say anything about what explicitly the game is about. Haters would say it should've been called The Legend of Zelda: Sheikah Slate.

Well obviously, and while we're at it we should fix some of the others:

Twilight Princess - The Legend of Zelda: The Adventure of Wolf Link

Link's Awakening - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Asleepening

The Wind Waker - The Legend of Zelda: On Stranger Tides

A Link to the Past - The Legend of Zelda: A Link to a Different Color Palette

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Around the Network

I like the name "Tears of the Kingdom" way more than I liked the name "Breath of the Wild" when it was revealed. I still hate saying it because the only name that is more annoying to say out loud is "Hyrule Warriors". "Tears of the Kingdom" is supposed to be derivative of "Breath of the Wild", the structure is the same because it's it's direct sequel.

I think "The Adventure of Link" is the worst name in the franchise because it's simply generic as hell.

I agree with your best and worst. Majora's Mask sounds ominous and creepy, like the tone of the game. It couldn't have a better name. Tri Force Heroes sucks, and until now I never even noticed the 'typo'. Makes this stain on the Zelda series even worse. Or is it actually a typo? It dawned on me, it's probably meant as a pun; there's three Links in the game that do stuff, so 'Tri Force', the force of three, as well as referring to the Triforce itself. Anyway, what I don't agree with your line "incredible entry, arguably the best". I'd say it's by far the worst, even worse than Four Swords and like I said a stain on the Zelda series, but okay this is a topic for another day.

As far as Tears of the Kingdom is concerned, I like the name, even if yes I also immediately noted how similar it is to Breath of the Wild because it is also 'somethingsomething of the somethingsomething' which sounds too 'easy'. It could be because they thought they needed something similar for a direct sequel (even though there's plenty in the series that don't do this). I do think it sounds better than Breath of the Wild though, because I feel it sounds like it actually means something, what is for example a 'breath of the wild', how does the wild breathe? I like the ring of your 'Tears of Hyrule' suggestion, though, maybe, the "Kingdom" isn't Hyrule?.. We don't know yet.

I'd personally discount The Legend of Zelda, because while that is the name of the first game and it is great, it's now the name of the series, so every game has that name. You could however consider The Hyrule Fantasy, which is the Japanese name for the first game.

Let me rank some;

Best
5 - Ocarina of Time: It sounds grand and epic, which is good, legendary even, but the word 'Ocarina' isn't the easiest.
4 - A Link Between Worlds: A clever name, that not only harkens back to it's spiritual predecessor, but also refers to the game's main mechanic.
3 - The Wind Waker: A name that feels as adventurous as the mood of the game itself does. Having "Wind" in the name, means freedom.
2 - Link's Awakening: Another clever name which at first glance refers to how Link wakes up stranded on a beach, but actually gives away the entire plot without you knowing it.
1 - Majora's Mask: Perfect name, which captures the creepy ominous feeling of the game.

Honourable Mention: Spirit Tracks: Similar to Wind Waker, it has a feel of freedom and adventure.

Worst
5 - Twilight Princess: Great game, underrated, but a name that doesn't really roll off the tongue.
4 - Skyward Sword: Similar to Twilight Princess, however in this case the name sounds too 'small', it's not really epic.
3 - Adventure of Link: A bit of a generic name, which doesn't tell you much because every other game is an adventure as well.
2 - Four Swords Adventures: Too long of a name that doesn't flow well and doesn't differentiate itself much from its predecessor. For a time I thought Four Swords and Four Swords Adventures were the same game.
1 - Tri Force Heroes: Bad game with a bad name. More a name for a childish spin-off.

Honourable mention: A Link to the Past: While it has a epic feel to it, it has little to do with the game, and exists more because the game was set before the original, though I also once read that the name refers to the fact that the story of the game is the consequence of the events of the backstory as told in the intro, which happens in a distant past. In any case it just makes a lot of people think the Dark World is "the past", which is untrue.

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 15 September 2022

Sticking only to home consoles and excluding Legend of Zelda, "Twilight Princess" would be my pick for the best, and "Teh Arse of the Kingdom" the worst.

Worst:
5th - Spirit Tracks: A reference to the fact you're on a train, and Zelda is a spirit, but those two words just don't flow into a good title imo. Could be biased since I hate this game, tho.
4th - Four Swords Adventure: painfully generic sounding
3rd - Zelda II The Adventure of Link: Numbering the title is awful and the subtitle is terribly generic
2nd - Tri Force Heroes: It has a typo in the title and also sounds generic
1st - Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland: just no

Best:
5th - Twilight Princess: Twilight is the meeting between light and darkness which heavily factors into the themes and motif of the game. Plus you travel with the actual Princess of Twilight.
4th - Link's Awakening: A very clever reference to the true purpose of the game, seeking to free yourself from the Dream of the Windfish.
3rd - A Link Between Worlds: Another that can be read literally as Link travels between worlds and in the great sense that these worlds are now linked by the plot of the game.
2nd - The Breath of the Wild: The sheer scope and freedom to explore made this game an absolute treat and the title really encompasses that sense of wonder
1st - Ocarina of Time: Possibly nostalgia talking but this one always the most like an epic fantasy title to me. It revolves a powerful artifact that shapes the destiny of the world and lives up to it's name as you travel through time to save the kingdom.

Worst:
The Faces Of Evil
Wand Of Gamelon
Zeldas Adventure

I like Tears Of The Kingdom. Although Tears Of A Kingdom might sound a bit better imo.