By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox Series X|S Sales Top 16 Million - Global Hardware July 24-30

trunkswd said:
Blood_Tears said:

Good PS5 sales overall, strong sales in EU despite a 20k stealth adjustment down from last week. Either way, stock is definitely improving. It's moved to 2nd in yearly in the UK and took 1st in monthly's there for July making it 4 months in a row. August is looking strong so far as well, nice to see.

Our UK estimates for 2022:

1. NS: 294,576
  2. PS5: 281,968
  3. XSX|S: 280,046

Nice, all 3 really close there. So looking at the sales ratio of the last 2 months in the UK it's highly possible that PS5 takes the yearly lead next month if shipments continue as they were. They've had a great first week of August so far there. 

Around the Network

Another good week just like last one. Supply issues may be disappearing. All 3 systems are close to flat WoW. Going by YoY, PS5 and Switch are up a little and X|S is up a lot (41.8%). It will be interesting to see how long these good weeks will persist.

Xbox is doing great this gen, amazing even with their games being playable on PC and Mobile.

For anyone interested I am live streaming on Twitch to discuss the latest VGChartz estimates, Switch sales, gaming news, and more.

https://www.twitch.tv/trunkswd

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Switch now less than 6 million from overtaking the PS4.

Nice to see supply improving for PS5 and Xbox Series too.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023. (And over 130 million lifetime)

Around the Network

All Time Video Game Hardware Sales List:

1) PlayStation 2 (PS2) - 158,700,000 (155,000,000+ according to Sony) Mar. 31st, 2012

2) Nintendo DS (DS) - 154,020,000 

3) Game Boy (GB/GBC) - 118,690,000

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4) PlayStation 4 (PS4) - 116,976,834 (117,000,000+ according to Sony) - Mar. 31st, 2022

5) Nintendo Switch (NS) - 110,983,148 (111,080,000 according to Nintendo) - Jun. 30th, 2022

250k is a good baseline for PS5 for the next 3 months

Xbox is also doing fantastic compared to Xbone

I wonder if the saturation point will be reached early this gen, or if this gen people are willing to buy more hardware or if simply more people are spending with video games

PS5 + Xbox Series being over 400k becoming a consistent thing would be great.

"Xbox One sold 420 units." Nice

Share the article here.

PS5 Outsells Nintendo GameCube

Sony's latest video game console, the PlayStation 5, has outsold the lifetime sales of the Nintendo GameCube, according to VGChartz estimates

The PS5 had sold an estimated 21.83 million units worldwide through July 30, 2022, while the GameCube sold 21.74 million units lifetime.

Up next for the PS5 is the original Xbox with lifetime sales of 24.65 million units, followed by the the Atari 2600 with 30 million units sold and the Nintendo 64 with 32.93 million units sold.

Breaking down sales by region, the PS5 has sold an estimated 8.69 million units in North America, 7.88 million units in Europe, 1.81 million units in Japan, and 3.45 million units in the rest of the world. This compared to the GameCube, which sold 12.55 million units in North America, 4.44 million units in Europe, 4.04 million units in Japan, and 0.71 million units in the rest of the world.

Breaking down PS5 Europe sales, the console has sold an estimated 1.88 million units in the UK, 1.51 million units in Germany, and 1.01 million units in France.

Sony Interactive Entertainment did announce it had shipped 21.7 million PlayStation 5 consoles as of June 30, 2022. With 21.7 million PlayStation 5 consoles shipped through the end of June 30 that means 2.4 million units were shipped from April to June. Demand for the console is still well above what Sony is able to supply.

For reference, the PlayStation 4 had shipped 2.9 million units in the same quarter for a lifetime total of 25.3 million units shipped as of June 30, 2015. This puts the PS5 behind shipped PS4 units by 3.6 million units.

Last edited by trunkswd - on 08 August 2022

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.