By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox Series X|S Sales Top 16 Million - Global Hardware July 24-30

yo33331 said:
curl-6 said:

The rate that Switch is down YOY is decreasing; back in April it was down 28.9% YTD from 2021, now that has dropped to 23.1%.

yep, because in the weeks after may/june switch slowed a little bit last year because of the OLED announcement.

It will go up again in september with 800k+ week (with strong weeks to follow after this) and then the down YOY rate will go up again

Not so sure. Although last years holiday quarter was huge (10.67 million) it's November and December NPD's were not great. I think Switch could match last year, maybe it has a weaker October but a better November or December.

Around the Network
ShadowLink93 said:

Not so sure. Although last years holiday quarter was huge (10.67 million) it's November and December NPD's were not great. I think Switch could match last year, maybe it has a weaker October but a better November or December.

Time will tell.

UK charts for July 2022 is out. Share the VGC article on it here

PS5 Has Outsold the Xbox Series X|S in the UK in 2022 Through July, F1 22 Tops the Software Charts

Console sales in the UK for July dropped for all three major platforms, according to GfK Entertainment.

There were nearly 104,000 video game consoles sold in the UK in July, which is a 16 percent drop compare to June. It should be noted July had four weeks, while June had five.

So far for 2022, console sales are down 38 percent compared to 2021, mainly due to continued stock shortages for the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X.

For 2022 year-to-date, the Nintendo Switch remains the best-selling platform, while the PlayStation 5 has now taken second place pushing the Xbox Series X|S down to third place.

GSD data shows that 1.79 million physical and digital games were sold in the UK in July, which is a drop of 17 percent  compared to July 2021. Software sales were also down 32 percent compared to June 2022.

F1 22 has remained the best-selling game for a second straight month. 

Nintendo's Xenoblade Chronicles 3 was the highest new game in the software charts as it debuted in 13th place after one week on sale. It should be noted Nintendo doesn't share digital sales of its games yet.

Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga would have been the best-selling game if you only look at retail sales, while F1 22 would have taken second. Three Nintendo games would have taken third, fourth, and fifth - Nintendo Switch Sports, Xenoblade Chronicles 3, and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

While Horizon: Forbidden West has been doing well on the weekly physical UK charts from GfK, the PS5 bundle of the game doesn't factor into the GSD charts at all. 

Over the last three months the Horizon: Forbidden West PS5 bundle has accounted for 50 percent of PS5 console sales.

"The rise in fortunes for PS5, apart from the variable that is available stock in any given week, can be attributed to the success of the Horizon Forbidden West Official Bundles -- the first of which hit the UK market in week 19 (May22)," said GfK games boss Dorian Bloch.

"Since the official bundles launched, looking at the three months of May to July, 50% of PS5 hardware was derived from the two official bundles. This also explains the high chart position for Horizon: Forbidden West in the box software charts over these weeks. Recently, the official bundles have accounted for less PS5 hardware, but many retailers are now soft bundling Horizon: Forbidden West with standard PS5 consoles, especially if they are low on stock with the official bundles. All of this means that Horizon: Forbidden West continues to ride high in the software charts, with an original No1 at launch, and a further five No1’s long after launch, all thanks to bundles."

Here are the software (digital + physical) charts:

PositionTitle
1F1 22 (EA)
2LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Warner Bros)
3Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
4FIFA 22 (EA)
5Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
6Nintendo Switch Sports (Nintendo)*
7Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
8The Quarry (2K Games)
9WWE 2K22 (2K Games)
10EA Sports UFC 4 (EA)
11Far Cry 6 (Ubisoft)
12Elden Ring (Bandai Namco)
13Xenoblade Chronicles 3 (Nintendo)*
14FIFA 22 (EA)
15Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (EA)
16Mario Kart 8: Deluxe (Nintendo)*
17Minecraft: Switch Edition (Nintendo)*
18The Crew 2 (Ubisoft)
19Grand Theft Auto Online (Rockstar)
20Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle (Ubisoft)

* Digital data unavailable

GSD digital data includes games from participating companies sold via Steam, Xbox Live, PlayStation Network, Nintendo Eshop. Major participating companies are Activision Blizzard, Bandai Namco, Capcom, Codemasters, Electronic Arts, Embracer Group (including Gearbox, Koch Media, Sabre Interactive), Focus Entertainment, Konami, Marvellous Games, Microids, Microsoft (including Bethesda), Milestone, Nacon, Paradox Interactive, Quantic Dream, Sega, Sony, Square Enix, Take-Two, Ubisoft and Warner Bros. Nintendo and 505 Games are the notable absentees, alongside smaller studios.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Share the article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch Launch Sales Comparison Through Week 90

This weekly series compares the aligned launch sales of the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch.

It should be noted the Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X|S had a worldwide launch, while the PlayStation 5 launch was split over the course of two weeks. Also, the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017, while the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S launched during the holidays in November 2020.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Global:

1. Switch: 22,587,264
  2. PS5: 21,825,208
  3. XSX|S: 16,129,248

Through the first 90 weeks available worldwide the Nintendo Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 0.76 million units units and is 6.46 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 5.70 million units.

The Switch has sold 22.59 million in 90 weeks worldwide, while the PS5 sold 21.83 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 16.13 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 90 weeks, the Switch is in the lead. The Switch has a 37.3 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 36.1 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 26.6 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch US:

1. PS5: 7,952,169
  2. Switch: 7,746,726
  3. XSX|S: 7,511,084

Through the first 90 weeks available in the US the PlayStation 5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S and Nintendo Switch. The PS5 is ahead of the Switch by 0.21 million units and is 0.44 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 0.24 million units.

The PS5 has sold 7.95 million in 90 weeks in the US, while the Switch sold 7.75 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 7.51 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 90 weeks, the PS5 currently leads. The PS5 has a 34.2 percent marketshare, the Switch sits at 33.4 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 32.4 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Europe (89 weeks):

1. PS5: 7,856,915
  2. Switch: 5,683,120
  3. XSX|S: 4,668,261

The PlayStation 5 has been available for one week less than the Xbox Series X|S in Europe. After 89 weeks the PS5 is ahead of the Switch by 2.17 million units and is 3.19 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 1.01 million units.

The PS5 has sold 7.86 million in 89 weeks in Europe, while the Switch sold 5.68 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 4.67 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 89 weeks, the PlayStation 5 currently leads. The PS5 has a 43.2 percent marketshare, the Switch sits at 31.2 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 25.6 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Japan:

1. Switch: 5,655,760
  2. PS5: 1,809,583
  3. XSX|S: 285,995

Through the first 90 weeks available in Japan the Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S by a wide margin. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 3.85 million units and is 5.37 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 1.52 million units.

The Switch has sold 5.66 million units in 90 weeks in Japan, while the PS5 has sold 1.81 million units, and the Xbox Series X|S 0.29 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 90 weeks, the Switch currently leads. The Switch has a 73.0 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 23.3 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 3.7 percent.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

With a global lead of nearly 70k for the PS5, Xbox Series still managed to hold the fort in America.
Will be interesting to watch how the gap between the two plays out as supply improves.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023. (And over 130 million lifetime)

Around the Network

With no Famitsu data for the first week of August out yet I am going to wait to post the next hardware update.

The monthly Europe report from GamesIndustry, which helps with monthly adjustments for our estimates for the countries covered in the report is likely to come out this week and NPD drops on Friday.

There is a chance I might wait until all the monthly data for July comes out and do all the necessary adjustments for July based on the data. So the next hardware update might not happen until Friday. 

While the first week of August estimates have been delayed as I am waiting on data to come in. I am streaming on Twitch right now discussing the latest gaming news over the last week or so.

https://www.twitch.tv/trunkswd

Any rough estimates on where certain systems or hardware overall will fall compared to this thread's weekly numbers?
Does it look like PS5 will retain its higher numbers? How about Switch, still around 300k?

Last edited by curl-6 - on 15 August 2022

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023. (And over 130 million lifetime)

curl-6 said:

Any rough estimates on where certain systems or hardware overall will fall compared to this thread's weekly numbers?
Does it look like PS5 will retain its higher numbers? How about Switch, still around 300k?

I haven't run the numbers but it doesn't look like a huge difference in sales week-on-week yet. I might wait for NPD and the monthly Europe data to come out first to make adjustments to July. Then run numbers on Friday. 

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

I haven't run the numbers but it doesn't look like a huge difference in sales week-on-week yet. I might wait for NPD and the monthly Europe data to come out first to make adjustments to July. Then run numbers on Friday. 

cmon!!

lolzz

Last edited by loy310 - on 15 August 2022