By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox Series X|S Sales Top 16 Million - Global Hardware July 24-30

I wonder if a potential price drop of the Switch would boost its sales?

I mean it's on it's 5th year and still basically selling at the same price as at year 1, I don't think many consoles have done that.

Around the Network
Spindel said:

I mean it's on it's 5th year and still basically selling at the same price as at year 1, I don't think many consoles have done that.

None actually. The Switch is the first one, at least the first really successful one.

Kakadu18 said:
Spindel said:

None actually. The Switch is the first one, at least the first really successful one.

The Switch is the first one for Nintendo to do different type of price cut in the face of Switch Lite back in 2019. This was the price cut answer. Cheaper version. Whoever wanted cheaper switch or thought of the original as expensive they got alternative version the Lite which is cheaper. They just didn't choose to do the traditional price cut because it is more profitable for them to produce cut version of the system at cheaper price than to actually lower the price of the base system.

It's the same scheme as the phones, like they launched the Iphone SE or the Galaxy S10 Lite, cheaper cutted versions instead of lowering the original model's price.

And if they for some reason discontinue the Switch Lite now and lower the original Switch's price to 199$ I guarantee you that the boost will be little to none, since there is Switch system at 199$ for 3 years now, and whoever wanted Switch at 199$ already get one, or may get one in the future but not because of the original system getting down to 199$, but because their budget is within 200$ range, and they would've bought the Lite as well.

Last edited by yo33331 - on 16 August 2022

yo33331 said:
Kakadu18 said:

The Switch is the first one for Nintendo to do different type of price cut in the face of Switch Lite back in 2019. This was the price cut answer. Cheaper version. Whoever wanted cheaper switch or thought of the original as expensive they got alternative version the Lite which is cheaper. They just didn't choose to do the traditional price cut because it is more profitable for them to produce cut version of the system at cheaper price than to actually lower the price of the base system.

It's the same scheme as the phones, like they launched the Iphone SE or the Galaxy S10 Lite, cheaper cutted versions instead of lowering the original model's price.

And if they for some reason discontinue the Switch Lite now and lower the original Switch's price to 199$ I guarantee you that the boost will be little to none, since there is Switch system at 199$ for 3 years now, and whoever wanted Switch at 199$ already get one, or may get one in the future but not because of the original system getting down to 199$, but because their budget is within 200$ range, and they would've bought the Lite as well.

I do not agree with this conclusion since the Lite lacks one of the USPs of the Switch which is playing both on your TV and on the go. 

Spindel said:

I do not agree with this conclusion since the Lite lacks one of the USPs of the Switch which is playing both on your TV and on the go. 

Yes, however the impact of this for the Lite model was little to none. Very small percent of the people would have cancelled the purchase of the cheaper model just because it can't be played on the TV.

Around the Network
Spindel said:

I am sure a price cut would help boost sales for a bit. But Nintendo is more focused on profits. A price cut I could see is the Switch Lite dropped from $200 to $170, standard Switch from $300 to $250, and Switch OLED from $350 to $300.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

yo33331 said:
Spindel said:

Yes, however the impact of this for the Lite model was little to none. Very small percent of the people would have cancelled the purchase of the cheaper model just because it can't be played on the TV.

If the market at large were satisfied with the feature set of the Lite, then the Lite would sell a lot better than it actually does.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

RolStoppable said:
yo33331 said:

If the market at large were satisfied with the feature set of the Lite, then the Lite would sell a lot better than it actually does.

atleast it doesn't do 99 euro GC numbers

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

RolStoppable said:

The Lite sold what it sold to the people who really were on a budget and wanted the cheapest one. There are many peoples with money who have choosed the better system because they can afford it and have made their choice with the original Switch. The original Switch would still be selling good amount of units no matter what, price cut or not, Lite model or not. The sales of the Lite are the people who wanted 199$ system. That's it. 250$ isn't so expensive to begin with and therefore many people can afford 50$ more so that they have better system in their hands. Even the OLED at 300$ isn't that expensive and is still at fairly affordable price for what it offers.

yo33331 said:
Kakadu18 said:

If the Switch Lite was equivalent to a price cut, then it would've outsold the more expensive base model. 

Instead, the base model has consistently sold better than the Lite, demonstrating that the market does not see Lite as a price cut Switch.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023. (And over 130 million lifetime)