By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox Series X|S Sales Top 16 Million - Global Hardware July 24-30

If they discontinued the Lite and cut the OG Switch model's price down to $200 it would obviously lead to a sales surge. The console being a hybrid is it's biggest draw. People who buy the Lite don't all only buy it because they can't afford the more expensive Switch. Many just don't care about playing on their TV, so they buy the Lite. There are many people who can't afford the hybrid Switch but don't want the handheld-only Lite. Those people would jump aboard if the hybrid got a price cut down to $200. It would definitely lead to higher sales and more shortages for the Switch.

Around the Network
yo33331 said:

If there was so big interest in the home console option Nintendo would have put only home revision (cheaper) as well. Not only the Lite one which is only handheld. Even Michael Pachter have said it. Who has been in the industry for a long long time.

Yes and Michael Pachters' views are well regarded and respected online and he has a reputation for never being wrong :P

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

yo33331 said:

If there was so big interest in the home console option Nintendo would have put only home revision (cheaper) as well. Not only the Lite one which is only handheld. Even Michael Pachter have said it. Who has been in the industry for a long long time.

If there wasn't a big interest in the home console functionality, the $300 hybrid Switch wouldn't be dominating the $200 portable-only Lite in sales.

And Michael Pachter is an idiot who makes plenty of terrible predictions, in 2009 for example he claimed the Wii, PS3 and 360 would be the last console generation, which anyone with a proper knowledge of the industry could see was absurd.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 17 August 2022

Kyuu said:

When all is said and done, I think Switch Lite will at best increase lifetime Switch sales by 7-15 million compared to if it didn't exist. The majority of Lite owners would have bought a Switch at some point in time, a good number of them were waiting for a pricedrop. With that being said, a pricedrop to $200 can still have a major impact on sales as long as there's enough stock, because Lite being a "non-hybrid" is a deal breaker to most people.

In short, Lite does serve as a pricecut but only to a minority of people.

The point is, is not a "pricecut", is a new model with a different price, as curl-6 said, Series S is not a pricecut from Series X & PS5 Digital is not a pricecut from PSE Disc, they are just diferent entry points for that console's family (But not a pricecut).

If Switch Lite get a price cut to $150, that's only for the Lite version, Switch still won't count as a cosole with a reduced price or pricecut.

curl-6 said:

And Michael Pachter is an idiot who makes plenty of terrible predictions, in 2009 for example he claimed the Wii, PS3 and 360 would be the last console generation, which anyone with a proper knowledge of the industry could see was absurd.

When you make a giant list of unending predictions, probability allows you to get some right.  So if you downplay wrong predictions and celebrate the correct ones; you can easily spin your way into seeming that you have some type of special insight to future movement.  Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every then and now.

So anytime that hack's name is mentioned, in any conversation, it ends any further discussion in said matters being discussed just by default because of reputation. It doesn't necessary mean he isn't getting one right every now and then.

I, for the record, have posted some Halo sales numbers that can be attributed to something Pachter had said, and didn't get called out on it.  I didn't realize until later after doing further research that I had done so.  But if I was going to be questioned about it now, I would definitely include the asterisk.  

But he is very much an idiot.  He's loud enough that he will always garner a platform and attention. It's all about the clicks.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Around the Network

If they do a major price drop like $100 then they would have to announce it months in advance or get a huge backlash from people who just got screwed out of $100. The problem with this is after the announcement of a price drop the sales will tank until the price drop release date and for one quarter Nintendo will have to take a big hit. I think lots of incremental price drops of $25 every few months would prevent this.

I thought we'd covered this already. The Switch Lite is a handheld, it's a vastly different product than the regular Switch. I've bought one cause I wanted a small comfy handheld to play Pokémon, I don't even play the same games on the Switch Lite and on my regular Switch.

The Switch can be used as a handheld. The Switch Lite is a handheld. That's the main difference.

And yes indeed they could release a home console version that would be act like a Nvidia Shield TV, with overclocked CPU/GPU to have games running at a better resolution/framerate and slap a "Switch Pro" or "Switch TV" name on it, but they currently don't do that.

I expect the base Switch will probably remain $300 for the rest of its life, much like the PS4.

Demand is still high at this price point, and by the time its saturated they'll be wanting to move on to the next system.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 18 August 2022

I can't see anybody doing any price cuts at the moment considering the uncertain situation with inflation.