By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 27, 2022 (Jun 27 - Jul 03)

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

Xbox Series still with impressive numbers.

Overall a very nice week.

Gamepass plus Series S is good proposition. 

Around the Network
Jules98 said:

Seriously, what's the deal with Gran Turismo 7? It's been bouncing all over the top 30 as of late.

Gran Turismo has always been an evergreen title. It's hanging around the top 10 for PlayStation Store downloads, as well as retail charts, since its launch.

Nice performance for all three current gen systems, in context.
We know Sunbreak hit 2 million in its first 5 days so it looks like as expected the vast majority went for digital, as it is DLC first and foremost, and the retail release is just Rise with a code in the box, not actually on the cart.

curl-6 said:

Nice performance for all three current gen systems, in context.
We know Sunbreak hit 2 million in its first 5 days so it looks like as expected the vast majority went for digital, as it is DLC first and foremost, and the retail release is just Rise with a code in the box, not actually on the cart.

Full game not on cartridge, it´s a lazy job by Capcom.

kenjab said:
ShadowLink93 said:

I know, during the Xbox one era Xbox was consistently selling less than 100 per week and now it's not unexpected when it sells 5K and has eclipsed 10K on a few occasions, it's more than surprising it is outright weird.

Yes, I've been wondering this as well.  While I love my Series X, to this point it's still nothing more than a souped-up XBox One since there are hardly any exclusive games for it so far.  I really don't understand how the Series is so much more popular in Japan when it really doesn't do anything more than the XBox One, which barely sold anything there, and it doesn't have any big Japanese games like the 360 had.

Game Pass has been around since 2020 in Japan, maybe it's just been a slow adoption of that? But even then, what games on Game Pass are hitting for Japanese gamers? Minecraft and Human Fall Flat are popular in Japan, but it's gotta be more than that I think....

This is where you're getting it wrong. Xbox One launched with no BC and no GP, so early adopters had a pretty limited selection of games on it. XS/X, on the other hand, already has 4 generations of games available, and with GP now people have access to hundreds of them for pretty cheap. When you add to that the $300 Series S option, I think it is safe to say that there has never been a better time for newcomers (and previous 360 owners) to jump into the Xbox ecosystem.

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:

Seems like MH Sunbreak expansion did a good job at boosting substantially the Switch sales while XSeX sales soars due to availability and (prolly Chinese scalping), A good week for the PS5 as well.

But we all know the situation won't last and these two will dip soon again ...

Hehehe, I'm marking this comment. When should we come back to it? in two months? three?

Top 30: Famitsu software sales (6/27/22 - 7/3/22) - Top 30 (nintendoeverything.com)

1. [NSW] Monster Hunter Rise + Sunbreak Set – 104,315 / NEW
2. [NSW] Nintendo Switch Sports – 20,169 / 532,470
3. [NSW] Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes – 17,841 / 115,379
4. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 9,937 / 4,701,588
5. [NSW] Kirby and the Forgotten Land – 8,887 / 786,697
6. [PS5] Gran Turismo 7 – 8,169 / 117,694
7. [NSW] Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba – The Hinokami Chronicles – 7,872 / 130,384
8. [NSW] Minecraft – 7,444 / 2,691,916
9. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure – 7,101 / 3,195,829
10. [NSW] Mario Strikers: Battle League – 5,953 / 58,816

11. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 4,893 / 4,914,532
12. [NSW] Mario Party Superstars – 3,605 / 988,446
13. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons – 3,330 / 7,276,141
14. [PS4] EVE ghost enemies – 3,272 / NEW
15. [NSW] void* tRrLM2(); //Void Terrarium 2 – 2,919 / NEW
16. [NSW] eBaseball Powerful Pro Baseball 2022 – 2,852 / 195,215
17. [NSW] EVE ghost enemies – 2,792 / NEW
18. [NSW] Zelda: Breath of the Wild- 2,537 / 2,047,343
19. [NSW] Pokemon Legends: Arceus – 2,511 / 2,266,593
20. [PS4] F1 22 – 2,389 / NEW
21. [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! – 2,303 / 2,671,796
22. [NSW] Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics – 2,071 / 991,360
23. [NSW] Splatoon 2 – 2,023 / 4,095,523
24. [PS4] Psikyo Shooting Library Vol. 1 – 1,906 / NEW
25. [NSW] Pokemon Brilliant Diamond / Shining Pearl – 1,748 / 2,565,837
26. [NSW] Monster Hunter Rise Best Price – 1,719 / 77,076
27. [NSW] Pokemon Sword / Shield – 1,465 / 4,351,137
28. [NSW] Fitness Boxing 2 – 1,447 / 207,798
29. [PS4] void* tRrLM2(); //Void Terrarium 2 – 1,434 / NEW
30. [NSW] Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury – 1,309 / 1,057,036

NS - 25

PS4 - 4

PS5 - 1

Rises total in Japan with the additional retail sales from the best price and SB sku should have it roughly around 4.3m.

Also Ring Fit is still in the top 10 battling.

Hmm, im not buying the explanations of Xbox's numbers. I think there is likely natural growth but not to the extent where its selling 12k in a random week

I think people are really overestimating the appeal of gamepass. Xbox is essentially seeing more than a 1000× increase in interest with a console which apparently has no games that appeal to the market, with supposed increased competition from PC. I don't believe people are buying it to play popular free to play games they already have on PS4.

Maybe series S has some magic appeal but when when stock is available for the X it also does especially well. The ready availability of Xbox series in thr UK for example shows that growth of the Xbox brand ascend in Japan is unlike any other market.

It could be that that lack of PS5 stock is driving people towards alternatives but again this dynamic isn't being seeing as strongly in other major markets (as seen by available series stock elsewhere ). Secondly even in weeks with good PS5 stock were seeing massive Series numbers. This would imply that there is a big appetite for PS5/Series in Japan, more so than there was for PS4...

When combined with the PS5 hardware situation (poor attach ratio), it seems more likely that international scalping is driving the growth.

A good metric to get might be the sales of Series Accessories in the Japanese market/their ranking on amazon.

Otter said:

Hmm, im not buying the explanations of Xbox's numbers. I think there is likely natural growth but not to the extent where its selling 12k in a random week

I think people are really overestimating the appeal of gamepass. Xbox is essentially seeing more than a 1000× increase in interest with a console which apparently has no games that appeal to the market, with supposed increased competition from PC. I don't believe people are buying it to play popular free to play games they already have on PS4.

Maybe series S has some magic appeal but when when stock is available for the X it also does especially well. The ready availability of Xbox series in thr UK for example shows that growth of the Xbox brand ascend in Japan is unlike any other market.

It could be that that lack of PS5 stock is driving people towards alternatives but again this dynamic isn't being seeing as strongly in other major markets (as seen by available series stock elsewhere ). Secondly even in weeks with good PS5 stock were seeing massive Series numbers. This would imply that there is a big appetite for PS5/Series in Japan, more so than there was for PS4...

When combined with the PS5 hardware situation (poor attach ratio), it seems more likely that international scalping is driving the growth.

A good metric to get might be the sales of Series Accessories in the Japanese market/their ranking on amazon.

One reason XBox did well this week is that it sold a lot of the Series X.  It seems like there is a pretty good demand for this version wherever (and whenever) it is available.