By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nier Automata: End of the YorHa Edition releases on Switch October 6th

The Nier Twitter account said it's gonna be 1080p 30fps and 720p 30fps.
High effort port!

Around the Network

NA low key has the best dodge in any game ever with the dodge slide and since a number of games tried to emulate it. Ultra Age is an indie action game trying to be like Nier all around. Onechanbara Origin. Scarlet Nexus as well. Not that NA invented dodge slide but it's the best version and other games have tried since to emulate it. Doesn't seem like much to some but in action-heavy games, I find it a godsend.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Super excited for this personally.

Automata is a game that always piqued my interest, but I don't own a PS4 or an Xbox One and my laptop can't handle it.
I'm a big fan of Platinum's works and everything I've seen of it looks awesome, so this is shooting straight to near the top of my Most Wanted list. Will try my best to go in unspoiled.

With this announcement I am pretty much set for the rest of the year in terms of Switch content. Heck, I will probably end up shelving F.I.S.T. Forged in Shadow Torch for 2023 as I'll be too busy with Monster Hunter Sunbreak/Xenoblade 3/Splatoon 3/Nier/rest of Zombie Army 4.

Also, according to the website, the port is being done by Virtuos, the team behind switch ports like Dying Light, Dark Souls Remastered, the Bioshock Collection, and Starlink:

NieR:Automata The End of YoRHa Edition | SQUARE ENIX (square-enix.com)

mZuzek said:
Hiku said:

I'm sure @mZuzek can testify that I told him I also stopped right after playing through the Demo portion, and then didn't touch it again for a year.

Turned out there was a lot more to the game than the demo suggested, and it became one of my all time favorite games.

I can testify indeed, but there is a key difference here in that what made you drop the game was that you didn't like something regarding the story whereas Vodacixi didn't like the gameplay. The story in Nier Automata is incredible. The gameplay is... well, I think it's good, but it's hardly faultless. I for one didn't like it when the game randomly forced a camera change on me and made me play it like it was GTA 2, thankfully this happens far less frequently after the prologue. Mechanically the combat is pretty solid, but nowhere near as good as the likes of Bayonetta or Astral Chain, it felt subpar for Platinum's standards. Still, I think whatever gameplay issues the game has are minor enough that the story completely makes up for it and then some.

Yeah, I am in the same boat as Vodacixi.  I played the PS4 version for a decent amount of hours, but I didn't care for the gameplay enough to keep playing.  I do not like combat in most 3D games (including this one), and I don't think the exploration part of the game is that great either.  The story to this game may be fantastic, but I didn't like the gameplay enough to find out.

I’ve not actually payed attention to this game before, but it looked really cool. I like the premise as well. This might be my next game after Xenoblade Chronicles 3.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

Great news.
While I feel lile the game is a bit overrated, it is still a great game none the less and should be enjoyed by more people.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Good game but not great.
Definitely too much backtracking. The game feels huge when you begin but it quickly turns out there are only a couple of areas that you will have to visit multiple times. Fast travel is only unlocked when you're already half way through route A.

It's also a little short when you consider all that backtracking and/or replaying the same areas during the other routes. I beat all three routes in about 18 hours.

After all the praise it got, it definitely left me a little disappointed.

Leynos said:

NA low key has the best dodge in any game ever with the dodge slide and since a number of games tried to emulate it. Ultra Age is an indie action game trying to be like Nier all around. Onechanbara Origin. Scarlet Nexus as well. Not that NA invented dodge slide but it's the best version and other games have tried since to emulate it. Doesn't seem like much to some but in action-heavy games, I find it a godsend.

I played Ultra Age and really liked the combat system.

Listening to Nier Automata's soundtrack right now and it really great.

Hiku said:
Barozi said:

Good game but not great.
Definitely too much backtracking. The game feels huge when you begin but it quickly turns out there are only a couple of areas that you will have to visit multiple times. Fast travel is only unlocked when you're already half way through route A.

It's also a little short when you consider all that backtracking and/or replaying the same areas during the other routes. I beat all three routes in about 18 hours.

After all the praise it got, it definitely left me a little disappointed.

Nier sets up a number of key landmark areas, and then reuses these spaces to tell different stories.
Which made me develop a familiarity with these areas that I achieve in few other games. Especially ones where you essentially go through each area once.

We're rarely connected to the environments we play in. But every return to a landmark reminded me of the two, three or five great moments I've had there before. I didn't mind the backtracking, because it made me nostalgic. It's rarely done for no good reason (like a fetch quest), but to set up another memorable moment.

Every time I pass the giant square right outside the base, I'm reminded of the giant mech I fought there, or when I flew through it in a bullet hell sequence, or when I fount to protect my squadmate from a group of androids gone haywire, etc.

Some may call that lazy design, but I think it's genius.
And this is exactly what I love about the level design in Yakuza as well. (Though it can definitely lose some of its appeal after multiple games in a row)

There are definitely games where I wish they had taken this approach. And not just to establish a familiarity with my surroundings in this way, but also because you can tell when they're cranking out new areas, just for the sake of it. The obligatory snow stage. The obligatory lava stage. Etc.

I'd much rather have this, but it's a matter of preference, like everything else.

Sounds like a lame excuse for bad game design honestly.

And no, hard disagree that the game reuses these spaces to tell different stories. The amusement park is only used properly once. Every time you visit it after that is just to get to the Machine Village. Complete waste of potential.

The flooded city area was even worse. Completely linear area and very short compared to other areas. Forced to go from start to ending twice within a short period of time when you follow the story.

That's just from the top of my head. I remember the desert being pretty useless as well.