By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nier Automata: End of the YorHa Edition releases on Switch October 6th

Vodacixi said:

The Switch version weights 10.9 GB apparently. For context, PS4 version stands at 50 GB

https://nintendoeverything.com/switch-file-sizes-nier-automata-mario-rabbids-sparks-of-hope-more/

Square Enix:

- We took the time and effort to compress this kind of niche 50GB 8th Gen console game in about 10 GB on the Switch.

Also Square Enix:

- This 50 GB PS2 remaster collection of a super popular series starring fucking Disney characters is too heavy and it costs too much money to get it into a Switch card. We give up, not worth the money. Cloud version it is

I'm starting to believe the theory they just lost the source code for Kingdom Hearts

Around the Network
halil23 said:

Damn, did not see this coming!
Surely it need some cloud implementation??

Apparently not.

Granted, Nier Automata is a demanding game, but the Switch already runs games that are even more demanding on PS4/Xbone, like Witcher 3, Dying Light, Hellblade, and World War Z.

The Switch is capable of punching above its weight in the hands of skilled developers due to a more modern feature set than PS4 or Xbox One, and a highly efficient architecture. Some sacrifices are necessary to bridge the gap in raw power, but when the compromises are well gauged, it can deliver games that seem beyond its reach on paper.

IcaroRibeiro said:
Vodacixi said:

The Switch version weights 10.9 GB apparently. For context, PS4 version stands at 50 GB

https://nintendoeverything.com/switch-file-sizes-nier-automata-mario-rabbids-sparks-of-hope-more/

Square Enix:

- We took the time and effort to compress this kind of niche 50GB 8th Gen console game in about 10 GB on the Switch.

Also Square Enix:

- This 50 GB PS2 remaster collection of a super popular series starring fucking Disney characters is too heavy and it costs too much money to get it into a Switch card. We give up, not worth the money. Cloud version it is

I'm starting to believe the theory they just lost the source code for Kingdom Hearts

Even if that was true, it still doesn't explain this whole circus at all... 

One of the best from Platinum Games.

Test post to see if the thread's broken.

Around the Network
Machina said:

Test post to see if the thread's broken.

Works fine for me, thanks for bringing it back online. :)

I've been to update this, the game's now been shown extensively and it seems to be an excellent port, with some going so far as to call if one of the best third party Switch ports to date:

Just got home with my copy and played through the first 40 minutes or so.

First impressions, very positive! Still getting used to the control/feel but the port is excellent, with a smooth and consistent framerate and much sharper image quality than we usually get from PS4 ports on Switch. Unless the wheels fall off later, Virtuos has hit it out the park with this one, definitely one the best Switch conversions to date.

The game itself is very interesting, I especially like the frequent shifts in gameplay style, cool genre-busting touch.

Hoping for a good port

Okay so now I've ventured a lot further, while it's not perfect, (pop-in is very noticeable in the open world segments, though this was already an issue on PS4 to a lesser degree) this is an eerily good port at times, like in most situations its astonishing how sharp image quality remains, and the framerate holds up remarkably so far even with giant bosses, numerous enemies and projectiles, or a ton of particles fill the screen. Load times are quite reasonable as well.

This is one to rank alongside the likes of Dying Light, Alien Isolation, Dragon Quest 11, Bright Memory Infinite, Sniper Elite 4, and Zombie Army 4 in the Switch ports hall of fame.
There are some compromises, it's physically impossible for there not to be, but its incredibly impressive for the hardware and most importantly feels intact.

Great job Curl.