By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas (19 Students, 2 Teachers Dead)

ConservagameR said:
KiigelHeart said:

What I don't understand is how they fucked up so badly. No waiting for backup, go in to distract and try to eliminate the active shooter is the protocol, why didn't they do it? 

edit. Looked into it and apparently first officers to arrive did try to stop the shooter so they acted as they should. They also were inside the school preventing further casualties outside the barricaded room.

After the shooter barricaded himself behind a door whoever was in charge made a terrible decision to wait and make a tactical breach. Hard to defend such decision, even if they could be absolutely certain everyone inside the room has been shot there could be a child bleeding-out etc. 

Just a gut feeling, but in a world of cancel culture, with a growing focus on police enforcement over the past decade, I tend to believe more and more, cops are no doubt thinking twice about every move they make, based more and more on cancel culture. You just don't really see that because the media only shows you a tiny fraction of what happens with the police day to day since they tend to focus on one event where the cops seemingly did something really stupid.

If the cops just rushed in and blew the shooter away, saving more lives, odds are they would end up getting smeared, just in another, worse way, where their career(s) may be quickly ended due to some other outrage.

Why didn't they wait and think it through more? Why didn't they wait for the professionals? They could have saved that troubled young mans life!

Of course, there's the scenario where they burst in, the shooter, ready, guns down 4 or 5 kids because of it, or heaven forbid one of the cops makes a mistake due to rushing and injures or kills one of the hostages. Kiss your life goodbye officer.

Again, why didn't they wait in this scenario? Fire them all!

This shouldn't be the case, since it's police enforcement, but how many people, cops or not, can sit there and honestly say they would've just burst in immediately, full well knowing what could go wrong and how that could ruin your own life, not to mention everything connected to you. Your family, the department, etc.

The deeper you go, the sadder the entire situation looks to be, at least to me.

First of all, outrage towards police murdering people is not cancel culture.

Second, no. There is no world in which police shooting a man actively murdering children would destroy their careers with outrage. That is dumb. Sure, if an officer murders a child, they would get blowback from that and rightly so, but if you are honestly coming to me like "Oh, boo hoo, the police are so vilified that they can't even murder a child without consequences anymore", fuck off maybe?

Third, in regards to how many people would have burst in immediately, I can't say what I would have done in that situation but that is why I'm not a cop. What I can tell you is that there were a whole host of parents ready to barge into the building, that were being arrested by the cops who were sitting outside like fucking cowards while children were being murdered.

So yeah, it's pretty sad all the way down, but if your takeaway is "I feel bad for the cops who arrested parents while children were being murdered", perhaps fix your head.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
cyberninja45 said:

Of course it deters wannabe massshooters, suicidal or not.

The more people armed around you the more likely your mass shooting attempt will fail.

Source: Basic common sense

Speaking of common sense, what's your explanation for the USA having such a tremendously higher rate of mass shootings than any other developed nation on this planet?

Treating kids like they're royalty doesn't help. Telling them they're super special and deserve everything they ever wanted doesn't help. Making more and more rules so kids don't have to face adversity doesn't help.

You can't have a young lion or tiger born in a zoo, fed like a king, only to eventually release it into it's natural wild ecosystem. Odds are extremely high it's going to die, one way or another, because it doesn't have what it needs to cope.

Many other countries don't cover events like the US does, and when they do, they do so in a much different fashion. The US makes it week long binge show extravaganza. Then there's the fact that so many other countries will show big events from US media, but the US won't show squat from elsewhere, unless of course the event can, outdo, what coverage the US has on tap presently.

I wanna be on TV is an insanely big deal in the US. So it's no wonder why some people will do what they do, knowing they won't just get their 15 minutes, they'll likely get an entire week. Sometimes offering a platform to project something isn't a good idea, some would say, though the media clearly doesn't agree, at least when it comes to themselves. Yet they're more than happy to point out who else shouldn't be given or getting a platform.

The US also has such a tremendously higher rate of many things vs other countries, both good and bad. That's basically baked into the American system. What other country constantly has the major high's and lows the US does when it comes to so many different things?

sundin13 said:
ConservagameR said:

Just a gut feeling, but in a world of cancel culture, with a growing focus on police enforcement over the past decade, I tend to believe more and more, cops are no doubt thinking twice about every move they make, based more and more on cancel culture. You just don't really see that because the media only shows you a tiny fraction of what happens with the police day to day since they tend to focus on one event where the cops seemingly did something really stupid.

If the cops just rushed in and blew the shooter away, saving more lives, odds are they would end up getting smeared, just in another, worse way, where their career(s) may be quickly ended due to some other outrage.

Why didn't they wait and think it through more? Why didn't they wait for the professionals? They could have saved that troubled young mans life!

Of course, there's the scenario where they burst in, the shooter, ready, guns down 4 or 5 kids because of it, or heaven forbid one of the cops makes a mistake due to rushing and injures or kills one of the hostages. Kiss your life goodbye officer.

This shouldn't be the case, since it's police enforcement, but how many people, cops or not, can sit there and honestly say they would've just burst in immediately, full well knowing what could go wrong and how that could ruin your own life, not to mention everything connected to you. Your family, the department, etc.

Second, no. There is no world in which police shooting a man actively murdering children would destroy their careers with outrage. That is dumb. Sure, if an officer murders a child, they would get blowback from that and rightly so, but if you are honestly coming to me like "Oh, boo hoo, the police are so vilified that they can't even murder a child without consequences anymore", fuck off maybe?

Third, in regards to how many people would have burst in immediately, I can't say what I would have done in that situation but that is why I'm not a cop. What I can tell you is that there were a whole host of parents ready to barge into the building, that were being arrested by the cops who were sitting outside like fucking cowards while children were being murdered.

So yeah, it's pretty sad all the way down, but if your takeaway is "I feel bad for the cops who arrested parents while children were being murdered", perhaps fix your head.

-Is trying to save lives and making a mistake murder?

-How old of a man can a cop shoot and get away with? A boy? A teen?

-We also live in a world where you should listen to the professionals. No matter the profession, no matter the situation.

If the doctors say or do something, you're supposed to just go along with it.

If the police do the same, you're supposed to pick them apart.

You call out a doctor, legitimately or not, and you're slammed.

You call out a cop, legitimately or not, and you're a hero.

As for the parents, if the cops let them in, and they got shot and killed by the shooter, who's fault would that be?

What if the parents made a mistake and killed one of the hostages?

My take away is I feel bad period. The entire event is very saddening. Everyone up in arms and no one seems to agree on anything.

Cobretti2 said:
ConservagameR said:

This scenario is a bit different in urgency for such worry but I guess overall you do make a valid point as this would be something they experience now in their day to day job on the street, so hard to get out of that mind set. How many times do we see people recording cops these days and then slamming edited videos up onto social media. This is the main reason I reckon why cops are wearing more and more high tech camera to try and protect themselves from scrutiny. However public perception won't change and they get slammed further when the findings of an investigate clears the police officer, like there is some conspiracy theory protecting them from the law.

Agree the more you think about this the sadder it is as it ends up being a no win situation no matter how you play out the scenario. 

Everyone acts different when the camera is on. Many can't take the heat, and it's hard to blame them.

No win. That's very well put. I tend to agree.

If you're a cop, or any profession, and you think you're likely screwed either way now, the way to proceed is whichever harms yourself and your family and community the least. Which is extremely sad, especially when it comes to events like this, but that's what's happening to the US.

When people have to choose between themselves and others, when it comes down to it, most will pick themselves.

ConservagameR said:
sundin13 said:

-We also live in a world where you should listen to the professionals. No matter the profession, no matter the situation.

As for the parents, if the cops let them in, and they got shot and killed by the shooter, who's fault would that be?

My take away is I feel bad period. The entire event is very saddening. Everyone up in arms and no one seems to agree on anything.

1) Is trying to save lives and making a mistake murder? Depends on the mistake. And even if it isn't, if you accidentally kill a kid, you deserve to lose your job 99.9% of the time. 

2) How old of a man can a cop shoot? Depends on the circumstances.

3) We live in a world where you should listen to the professionals no matter what? False.

4) If the doctors say or do something, you're supposed to just go along with it? Depends what they are saying and whether this statement is supported by science and the medical community. There were plenty of grifter doctors spewing bad takes during Covid and there were thousands of people more than ready to call them out for their bullshit. What reality do you live in?

5) As for the parents, I agree that the cops shouldn't have let them in, but the reason they shouldn't have let them in is because the cops should have been in there doing their job. You however were the one who asked who would run into that building. I told you that there was basically a line of people ready to rush in. 

6) The reason no one seems to agree on anything is because so many people have garbage takes. Stop making the cowards standing outside while kids were getting murdered the victims maybe.

Around the Network
Pemalite said:

It's also pretty sad seeing people rag on police, I have worked alongside many officers over the years, no one wants to see dead children, the officers are human beings remember, with family, friends and a social life.

If officers hesitated or stepped away to avoid that, then I have the upmost respect for that decision, it's not for everyone, even if you are on the front lines daily, dealing with impacted children requires a very different mindset than dealing with Adults, it's not for everyone.

In 2021, 136 people were killed in mass shootings (see: https://everytownresearch.org/maps/mass-shootings-in-america/) Meanwhile, 310 children 15-19 years old were killed by cops (source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/investigations/police-shootings-database/ )  American cops deserve every bit of the criticism they're getting. 

Considering the number of police and retired police at the Jan 6th event, "nobody wants to see dead children" is untrue. There are plenty of fascist and white-supremacist police in this country who want to see dead BIPOC children. See: White Supremacist Links to Law Enforcement Are an Urgent Concern and FBI Investigated White Supremacist Infiltration of Law Enforcement.

Some police might be good people, but all police in the U.S do bad things in their role of being police. The majority of police officers have harassed homeless people in their enforcement of anti-homeless laws. The majority of police officers have racially profiled a BIPOC person. Many police officers lie and/or concoct evidence. Many don't realize regular people have a constitutional right to not self-incriminate, "to remain silent" and will abuse people for using it even after they recite it in the Miranda verbiage. This is systematic, not some one off "bad apple" thing. So when we see our militarized police force which has no respect for citizens and sees itself as above everyone else, what is essentially an armed occupying force with very little legal culpability and in fact many legal protections in the form of qualified immunity, fail to "protect and serve" children, then we rightly question why they should exist. So that they can harass homeless people, BIPOC people, engage in white supremacy, and enforce capitalist class relations on working people? 

ConservagameR said:

Everyone acts different when the camera is on. Many can't take the heat, and it's hard to blame them.

If you're a cop, or any profession, and you think you're likely screwed either way now, the way to proceed is whichever harms yourself and your family and community the least. Which is extremely sad, especially when it comes to events like this, but that's what's happening to the US.

When people have to choose between themselves and others, when it comes down to it, most will pick themselves.

This is very true, even in life as general not just dangerous situations. I will keep my next statement as generic as possible in case some are on this site lol. There are many times I have helped people out where financially they gained from my help, instead of me if I was selfish. But when the shoe is on their foot, they don't reciprocate and try to gain financially on you if you say no they go elsewhere to do it lol. 

sundin13 said:
ConservagameR said:

1) Is trying to save lives and making a mistake murder? Depends on the mistake. And even if it isn't, if you accidentally kill a kid, you deserve to lose your job 99.9% of the time. 

2) How old of a man can a cop shoot? Depends on the circumstances.

3) We live in a world where you should listen to the professionals no matter what? False.

4) If the doctors say or do something, you're supposed to just go along with it? Depends what they are saying and whether this statement is supported by science and the medical community. There were plenty of grifter doctors spewing bad takes during Covid and there were thousands of people more than ready to call them out for their bullshit. What reality do you live in?

5) As for the parents, I agree that the cops shouldn't have let them in, but the reason they shouldn't have let them in is because the cops should have been in there doing their job. You however were the one who asked who would run into that building. I told you that there was basically a line of people ready to rush in. 

6) The reason no one seems to agree on anything is because so many people have garbage takes. Stop making the cowards standing outside while kids were getting murdered the victims maybe.

1. This is why you have so many bad cops, or better put, less useful cops. If that's the US attitude for mistakes, I'll pick another career then.

2. When it comes to school shootings. If the shooter is a boy or a teen, is it ok for a cop to just blow him away?

3. False, yes, but that's rarely how people seem to see it. Trust the professionals, or else, except when, and, or, etc?

4. There aren't any good doctors with bad takes? They are all always perfect?

5. That's not how things work. We have to let the professionals do their job, so we're told. That's why they're the professionals and we're not. The parents going in shouldn't even be a thought in their heads, and yes the cops should have been able to do their job more effectively, but they shouldn't have to worry about cancel culture on top of it, which they certainly do. It goes beyond policing itself.

6. I agree, but I believe the cops would say stop focusing so much on us and cancelling us, which we all know isn't going to happen. So both sides in this point don't get what they want either, because neither side will budge. So this is what we end up with.

Everything has it's repercussions.

Cobretti2 said:
ConservagameR said:

This is very true, even in life as general not just dangerous situations. I will keep my next statement as generic as possible in case some are on this site lol. There are many times I have helped people out where financially they gained from my help, instead of me if I was selfish. But when the shoe is on their foot, they don't reciprocate and try to gain financially on you if you say no they go elsewhere to do it lol. 

America, land of the free, and home of the get rich or die trying.

Still incredible to me that ease of access is considered, by some, a non factor.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED