By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony donated $50,000 :)

the-pi-guy said:
OneTime said:

I'm not sure why corporations feel the need to publish an opinion on social/political issues unrelated to the industry they work in. There are a lot of people in Sony/Microsoft. They will have different ideas about a lot of things.

For what it's worth - Sony is a Japanese company and abortion is legal in Japan.

They didn't publish an opinion here.

Importantly corporations should back up their employees. Having employees that are happy and healthy is mutually beneficial to the corporation and the employee.

This is the important thing and I think why people are upset. I am perfectly fine with a company being neutral on politics. More: I think that is good, because companies have more power than people but people are more affected by politics. So companies *should* stay out of politics.

But it is good for a company to show support for their employees. And that includes health care.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
SegaHeart said:
super_etecoon said:

@SegaHeart, Can you please explain what you mean by this bolded part of your statement?

https://theseoultimes.com/ST/?url=/ST/db/read.php?idx=7333

and this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMSo292PnKs

Stop reading/watching Yellow Press. Well at least stop believing yellow press.

"Yellow journalism and yellow press are American terms for journalism and associated newspapers that present little or no legitimate, well-researched news while instead using eye-catching headlines for increased sales. Techniques may include exaggerations of news events, scandal-mongering, or sensationalism."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_journalism

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

brute said:
Mnementh said:

This right there is what a company need to do: support their employees.

Companies only do what's best for their interests. In this case, they would rather pay for abortion then have the mother go on maternity leave for a few months, and maybe risk the mother not coming back to work due to deciding to raise the child (rare, but it happens).

True, companies do what is in their best interest. Sometimes that may though a bit more complicated. So they may support the mother despite what she decides, because that will satisfy and motivate all other employees, so even if the productivity of the employee in question is reduced, they gain more loyalty and motivation from the other employees.

the-pi-guy said:

You're assuming that there are only two positions. You don't have to team up with a group of people on everything to have policies happen. In a lot of countries you have 4 or more political parties.

You could have a "pro-life" party and a pro-gun party be separate parties. And they may or may not vote together on various other issues.

You're saying that games or sports only ever have two sides competing? Sure, you can  work together and draft an opponent throughout a race, taking turns, but when it comes to the finish, it's every man for themselves. If they don't vote together on issues, then how is that any different than now?

the-pi-guy said:

Mostly everything right of moderately conservative.

LOL. So everything east and west northwest is east, but everything west of northwest is west? I'm lost.

Captain D, you're able to pick from player 1 to 75. Captain R, you're able to pick from player 76 to 100. Good luck selecting your winning team. LOL.

the-pi-guy said:

This wasn't an individual. This was a studio donation.

Again, Sony has not made a single public statement about abortion, for or against.

A Studio just makes it worse. Evidence showing you're an accomplice, then staying silent afterwards, doesn't make you free from interpretation. Everyone's waiting for them to speak up and explain.

the-pi-guy said:

I'm saying they do match "pro-life" donations. It's fairly standard practice.

And no, they're telling their employees to respect each other's opinions. Has nothing to do with Sony's position.

So assuming some employee's like chocolate cake, and others like vanilla, and Sony has said everyone should respect others choice of cake at the celebration they are throwing, though has decided to only buy vanilla cake for employee's, but will allow chocolate if the employee's pay for it themselves, would be respecting everyone's tastes?

Mnementh said:
the-pi-guy said:

They didn't publish an opinion here.

Importantly corporations should back up their employees. Having employees that are happy and healthy is mutually beneficial to the corporation and the employee.

This is the important thing and I think why people are upset. I am perfectly fine with a company being neutral on politics. More: I think that is good, because companies have more power than people but people are more affected by politics. So companies *should* stay out of politics.

But it is good for a company to show support for their employees. And that includes health care.

Health and Healthcare in the USA is god awful.