By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony donated $50,000 :)

makes perfect sense

Around the Network
SegaHeart said:

Microsoft said 
"Microsoft will continue to do everything we can under the law to protect our employees' rights and support employees and their enrolled dependents in accessing critical health care — which already includes services like abortion and gender-affirming care — regardless of where they live across the U.S.," reads a statement issued to The Post. "This support is being extended to include travel expense assistance for these and other medical services where access to care is limited in availability in an employee's home geographic region."

This right there is what a company need to do: support their employees.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Corporations need to stay out of politics. Scary thought having billion dollar companies driving social policy.

At the end of the day, as a US citizen, we have mid term elections... if people want a federal law protecting rights, vote that way and it will happen.

I could be odd man out, but I'm with Jim Ryan on this one. Let the people decide, not corporations.

Edit

I also think people who don't live in the US are unaware of polarizing this topic is, in addition to the large percent of anti abortion in the States.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 17 May 2022

Total waste of money if you ask me, this is a governmental problem to solve, not a problem to be solved by multidollar companies. I would rather have seen they put that money into better recycling of electronic waste, or give it to their employees due to the recession. Sony produces a lot of products which turn into electronic waste after all, so if you say I see that as my responsibilitie, sure. This is just virtue signalling with a way too low amount of money to make any difference whatsoever.

Last edited by Qwark - on 17 May 2022

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

I'm not going to make a really big deal of it because I'm clearly more neutral than Sony says they are, but just for this, I'm going to wait on a few new releases until they go on sale before I buy.
Not because I'm against the fact that Sony is blatantly saying they're pro abortion with this move, because they can believe and do what they like, but because they just came out and said, we're neutral, we swear, then immediately got caught showing where they truly stand.
Believe what you want, but don't lie about it. What happened to the good old days of corporations focusing solely on their own products and competition?

Around the Network
ConservagameR said:

I'm not going to make a really big deal of it because I'm clearly more neutral than Sony says they are, but just for this, I'm going to wait on a few new releases until they go on sale before I buy.
Not because I'm against the fact that Sony is blatantly saying they're pro abortion with this move, because they can believe and do what they like, but because they just came out and said, we're neutral, we swear, then immediately got caught showing where they truly stand.
Believe what you want, but don't lie about it. What happened to the good old days of corporations focusing solely on their own products and competition?

In the US it appears to be a generational thing.  For starters the younger generation needs everything they believe externally validated, I blame social media.  And secondly they want easy solutions.  Instead of people fixing the problem we want corporations to make it easy and fix it for 'us.'  Add in people being unable to accept when they don't get their hearts desire....  kind of a cluster.  I simply wasn't raised that way, thankfully.

I'm not sure why corporations feel the need to publish an opinion on social/political issues unrelated to the industry they work in. There are a lot of people in Sony/Microsoft. They will have different ideas about a lot of things.

For what it's worth - Sony is a Japanese company and abortion is legal in Japan.

Ryuu96 said:
OneTime said:

I'm not sure why corporations feel the need to publish an opinion on social/political issues unrelated to the industry they work in. There are a lot of people in Sony/Microsoft. They will have different ideas about a lot of things.

For what it's worth - Sony is a Japanese company and abortion is legal in Japan.

Because it affects their employees...

Do some of you think corporations are ran by robots or something? Lol.

I'm going to put it extremely cynically but this is it, forcing your employees to have a child that they don't want which takes roughly 9 months to birth and then taking on the huge responsibilities afterwards is shockingly, not a good thing for work ethic/morale.

That's me being cynically as shit about why corporations support it, I'm sure some do actually care about their employees but I'm also sure that many support it only because it affects their bottom line, either way, it's something that affects them so why should they stay silent?

Presumably in the USA, half of their employees will be pro-choice and half go to church.  Which half of their employees should they care about?

Ryuu96 said:
OneTime said:

Presumably in the USA, half of their employees will be pro-choice and half go to church.  Which half of their employees should they care about?

Clearly the half that wouldn't have a choice in the matter if certain laws are enforced.

You can still go to church, you can still be pro-life, that's a choice you can still make on a personal level no matter what, I don't care if someone is personally against abortion but don't force others to follow your choice which, if certain Republicans get their way, the other side won't have any choice at all, they'd be forced to be pro-life.

I would say that it isn't clear, otherwise why in a democracy can't they just have a majority vote to legislate one way or the other?

My point is general though - unless a corporation is filtering employees for a certain topic (e.g. Sony is heavily technical) expecting to take a united stance is pointless.  Especially if the company is based in a foreign country.  

Ryuu96 said:
OneTime said:

I would say that it isn't clear, otherwise why in a democracy can't they just have a majority vote to legislate one way or the other?

My point is general though - unless a corporation is filtering employees for a certain topic (e.g. Sony is heavily technical) expecting to take a united stance is pointless.  Especially if the company is based in a foreign country.  

Tbf to Sony they are funding employees privately to get abortions too but I don't like that they're muzzling their employees either.

I think the main reason why corporations aren't talking about it openly is because of what Republicans are doing to Disney right now.

But that doesn't mean you should muzzle your employees, Sony as a corp can stay quiet on the matter if they want, they shouldn't force their employees to stay quiet though which they sorta are doing by banning studios from being able to make statements or employees from being able to tweet about the Sony donation, other corporations aren't so restrictive, take Double Fine for example, owned by Microsoft, who recently put out a statement against overturning Roe vs. Wade.

Bungie being so confident in that Sony won't muzzle them may very well happen depending on how the acquisition terms are set up, limited integration is a thing, it'd be pretty shitty if Bungie could speak out and Insomniac can't though. At the end it all comes back to a key point, this affects their employees and the most important thing is the employees. People can be pro-choice or pro-life but neither should be forced by law. You shouldn't force someone by law to have an abortion just as much as you shouldn't force someone by law to have a child.

And one side definitely affects employees more than the other, take a female employee who is pro-choice, for whatever reason she becomes pregnant, she is forced to carry a child for 9 months and then deal with the after affects of giving birth, compared to an employee who is pro-life who finds out his co-worker in their private life got an abortion, they'll be upset for what, a few days? Lol. One side hugely affects corporations more than the other and that is why they're involved in the subject and my point that saying they should stay out of it cause they're "tech companies" makes little sense.

I don't know enough about US politics to comment, but in other democracies, important issues are decided by Referendum of the entire population.  That's how abortion was made legal in Ireland (a traditionally Catholic country)

It is entirely Sony's free speech right to say "We are a Japanese company, we do not want to take sides in a US political issue".   They are also allowed to impose limitations on people who choose to work for them can say if there is a big "I WORK FOR SONY" logo next to it. Sony is Japanese, but I imagine a Russian or Chinese company would be even less wise to start commentating on US politics.